Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Flash to use for olympus E510

Default What Flash to use for olympus E510

Hi People. I'm new to DSLR's n just wondering if all Flashes are compatible with my E510? Also if there any generic one's that I can buy?meaning CHEAPThanks for the help.

Default Re: What Flash to use for olympus E510

Olympus FL36 or if you need longer reach, the FL50.
    There are newer models FL36R and FL50R, but don't think E-510 can utilise the wireless function(someone please correct me if I am mistaken).
    Can also use the old Nikon SB26 for faster recyling time but will lose TTL.
    There is also a 3rd party flash made by Metz but don't think it is available locally yet.

hi bro i posted a similiar question in the 4/3 section u may wanna just look through it an see whether its helpful

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=329668
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

Hi Guys, Thanks for your replies n especially to bro Viewwing for your link to your thread. Hope I did not piss ppl off for posting the same question u did. Thanks a million buddies. so now I do have to get the original one from Olympus. Should have stuck to my casio exilim.

don't really need to but... to me i think its still safer else u can look at some of those links which give the voltage of the older flash... but without ttl you'll have to really control those apertures and shutter speed.

i used both 36 and 50. if you are not covering events and going to places with high cellings a fl36 is actually very good. And its small too...

alot of bros selling it off around 200++ depending on conditions
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

Hey bro Viewwing tks again for your info n help. much appreciated. I'm now trawling the buy/sell forum looking for the f36.

Actually, the onboard flash will do for simple usage. What you need the flash for?

Hi bro Dorts, I don't know what I will need the flash for as I jus got the camera and i believe its mostly for home use. Do u think I can get by without it? I headr the e510 onboard flash not very good, is that true? I'm totally confused.

it really depends on how far u want to flash. generally on board flash on all cameras can be very harsh as they flash directly on your subject resulting very unnatural photos. so it depends on how far u want ur flash to reach..

think can get a diffuser like this http://www.lumiquest.com/softscreen.htm

Home use, just get the FL-36 and bounce it off the ceiling, very satisfatory results. Works well for me; I stay in HDB flat but may not work if you stay in big house with high ceiling

Home use? Onboard flashes are usually not powerful and more for really simple use. Maybe get the FL-36. It is not too expensive, but does a good job.

Hey bros i also staying in apartment only not big house lei. FL36? yeah im looking to see if anyone selling online if not will cx at MS. Thanks again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by leok777 View Post
    Hey bros i also staying in apartment only not big house lei. FL36? yeah im looking to see if anyone selling online if not will cx at MS. Thanks again guys.
    If you have patience, there will be sellers. But gotta wait a while. If cannot wait, then go buy!

Edit:

http://clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334715
    Last edited by dorts; 16th December 2007 at 02:55 PM.

yeah saw that one. im asking him how old it is but u think its a good deal bro dorts?

yeah saw that one. im asking him how old it is but u think its a good deal bro dorts?
    I would say it is not a bad deal. Original price I think around $300+. If you don't mind second hand, I would say it's ok. Check the condition first.

You can call the shops to check the FL-36 price, if you don't mind paying extra for a new one with warranty.

Yeah think i will call them. Thanks a million. Would not have known what to do without u guys. I was actually gonna order a generic one from ebay but after the advice i got here think i will have to go for the fl36. hehe cheaper than fl50

Lucky you didn't.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask at the Four Thirds forum.

http://clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94

thanks but do u know the diff between fl36 n fl36r? which is better u think? think the 36r has wireless ability quoted 320 at MS.

thanks but do u know the diff between fl36 n fl36r? which is better u think? think the 36r has wireless ability quoted 320 at MS.
    There is actually no difference, except the wireless function. The wireless won't work for your E-510 CURRENTLY. Only on the new E-3. No one knows yet if wireless capability will be available for the older models in the future. Actually, if you wanna get new one, just get the FL-36R.

oh ok something else i didnt know. ok will see how it goes before i decide which to get. i'm sure they will have a firmware update for the fl36r to work with the e310.....hopefully.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast