Thread: Product shot of canon lens cap

Default Product shot of canon lens cap

hi. i shot this to test out off shoe flash.
    i would like comments more on the lighting, background(not white?)

settings:
    canon 350D
    kitlens
    shutter speed: 1/100
    F8
    iso 400

Default Re: Product shot of canon lens cap

any comments?

err... i'm not going to comment on the picture, but just asking you a simple question.

What do you want the critics to comment on in this picture when the subject is not appealing?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Hi noob117

Thanks for sharing the shot.
    Aside from the fact that the item does not seem appealing, i assume you are looking for comments on illuminating an object ?

I think you did a good job. But i would prefer the shadows casted to be softer if not less obvious. I am also pretty new to shooting such objects in achieving balanced lighting and illumination. I use multiple flashes and experiment along as well. I shoot in a light tent, and my flashes diffused.

The foreground is slightly darker than the whiter background at the back.
    The lens cap at the front is likewise darker and details lost. I would place another light source to very slightly light it up by a bit

If it is still not white enough can always lighten up the picture a little with curves.

Peace
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Hi noob117

Thanks for sharing the shot.
    Aside from the fact that the item does not seem appealing, i assume you are looking for comments on illuminating an object ?

I think you did a good job. But i would prefer the shadows casted to be softer if not less obvious. I am also pretty new to shooting such objects in achieving balanced lighting and illumination. I use multiple flashes and experiment along as well. I shoot in a light tent, and my flashes diffused.

The foreground is slightly darker than the whiter background at the back.
    The lens cap at the front is likewise darker and details lost. I would place another light source to very slightly light it up by a bit

If it is still not white enough can always lighten up the picture a little with curves.

Peace
    Ryan
    thank you Ryan.
    yes i was look for comments on the lighting and bg.
    what do u use for ur background? i use A4 paper and i dun think the result is gd.(not smooth)

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by noob117 View Post
    hi. i shot this to test out off shoe flash.
    i would like comments more on the lighting, background(not white?)

settings:
    canon 350D
    kitlens
    shutter speed: 1/100
    F8
    iso 400

in all fairness, lighting and background are supposed to complement the item in the your shot. the item you've chosen is unfortunately uninteresting and does not require much effort to light up. in terms of lighting, the overlapping shadows infront of the lens cap is distracting, especially if you wanted to achieve a clean product shot.

choice of paper is also dependent on what you want to achieve, if you want to know what kind of paper others use normally you can ask that question under General, Reviews, Tech Talk.

please post images that shows that you've put in effort to produce for critique than choosing a test shoot which you're unsure of. for general questions relating to techniques, use the subforum mentioned. thread will be closed.
    Last edited by eikin; 18th December 2007 at 02:17 AM.