Thread: Scenic spots in New Zealand

Default Scenic spots in New Zealand

Hi, I will be travelling to New Zealand South Island next year, wondering if anyone knows any great scenic locations or have any nice experiences to share? I've read up on all the popular tourist spots, but would love to hear about more secluded, out-of-the-way places Can PM me if you wanna keep it secret heheh

Default Re: Scenic spots in New Zealand

if you're talking about SCENIC for photography, do a flickr search is one way to go
    check out if timecatcher has it , cross reference with google earth is another way to go

so many ways to go

See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Milford South
    Catlins Coast(i dont know where it is but this beach have seals resting around)
    Dunedin
    Fox Glacier
    Picton
    Queenstown

thanks guys

I remember many years ago when I was studying in NZ, there used to be societies that organise walks in the countryside. I went on a few - we covered perhaps 15 - 18 miles in a day over hills and valleys, etc. in the South Island in Canterbury. The scenery there was just spectacular. Now I dream of the time when I can go to such treks or tramps. Perhaps in 2009 I might do just that!

i particularly like mount cook 'feel'....it's so cool and amazing....i cannot forget the driving experience there....speechless...

enjoy your holidays and do share with us your pix...

Quote Originally Posted by syl View Post
    I remember many years ago when I was studying in NZ, there used to be societies that organise walks in the countryside. I went on a few - we covered perhaps 15 - 18 miles in a day over hills and valleys, etc. in the South Island in Canterbury. The scenery there was just spectacular. Now I dream of the time when I can go to such treks or tramps. Perhaps in 2009 I might do just that!
    WOw you got to study in NZ, I envy you

Try to spend more time in Queenstown if possible
    Lots of outdoor activities

hey just when there, except tt i was only in the north island so i wont be able to tell u anything except that nz is for pics

have fun! (oh and bring a super WA lens)

IMO, South Island is better than North Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    You've been to both? Lucky you heh. From what I've read, I think I'd like South Island more, cos I'm a mountains and lakes kind of person, but I think North Island would be really exciting too, with all the volcanoes and stuff heh. Definitely warrants another visit in the future

Anyone know if slide film is easily available in NZ?

more senic from wat i heard

but then all that volcanic stuff is , like bluemoon mentioned
    btw north island does have nice stuff to take too

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    You've been to both? Lucky you heh. From what I've read, I think I'd like South Island more, cos I'm a mountains and lakes kind of person, but I think North Island would be really exciting too, with all the volcanoes and stuff heh. Definitely warrants another visit in the future

Anyone know if slide film is easily available in NZ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.8photography View Post
    more senic from wat i heard

but then all that volcanic stuff is , like bluemoon mentioned
    btw north island does have nice stuff to take too
    Yeah, I've been to both. Not that there is nothing to take in the North. Just that, IMO, South is better than North comparatively. Yeah, the volcanic stuff are nice. They are colourful too. Try to visit Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland.

Agreed, especially the drive to West Cost and Milford Sound(The tunnel). My recommendation time frame is 2 weeks. Happy shooting

Hi there,

I was there in mid november, where the season was turning to summer,
    it was still very nice. I only managed to visit Dunedin & Queenstown, only shopped in Christchurch heehee.. anyways Dunedin is really nice.. especially on the way to the Larnarch Castle u can c Dunedin from a different aspect...~ and must take the Taieri Railway~
    Queenstown is super nice! I love Queenstown so much.. din wan to come back to sg..

here's some pix to share...im still a newbie in photography.. so pardon me with my pictures..

Quote Originally Posted by napier View Post
    Agreed, especially the drive to West Cost and Milford Sound(The tunnel). My recommendation time frame is 2 weeks. Happy shooting
    Ya, from Queenstown to Milford Sound, can pass through Mirror Lake at Fiordland National Park, see Christy Falls and maybe see some Kea Alpine parrots (which are one of the largest parrots in the world), see lots of glasiers, visit The Chasm, pass through Homer Tunnel etc. Read more about the journey here: http://www.redboats.co.nz/milford-so...ord+Sound.aspx

Aha, I've been up and down New Zealand, from the tip of SI to the tip of NI, yet I can barely remember any of the names. I remember Lake Tekapo and the area around Mount Cook as exceptionally spectacular though

Wow you all are getting me very excited heh. WIll be doing the Milford Track so won't be driving from Queenstown to Milford Sound, but will be taking the bus back..

Anyone been driven around the Catlins coast before? Gonna spend 2-3 days there, any nice spots to recommend there?