Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Parallel parking

  1. #1

    Default Parallel parking

    Is there a wrong direction for parallel parking a car when the road is a two way flow? Confused

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper ShutterBug View Post
    Is there a wrong direction for parallel parking a car when the road is a two way flow? Confused
    not really, very commonly seen around jalan besar area...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper ShutterBug View Post
    Is there a wrong direction for parallel parking a car when the road is a two way flow? Confused
    It should be in the direction of the flow at the same side of the road isn't it? I think it's quite dangerous if you park in the opposite direction, no? Unless of course like in certain car parks, the lots are in between the opposite carriageways?
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 12th December 2007 at 05:26 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    of course there is !!!
    the wardens will not wait to explain to you and just issue you with a summon.

    it's usually accordance to the traffice flow your intended side of parking space is situated.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper ShutterBug View Post
    Is there a wrong direction for parallel parking a car when the road is a two way flow? Confused
    You need to park in the direction of the flow whichever side you are on.

  6. #6
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Yeap, there is. You need to park facing the same direction as the flow on that particular side of the road.

    In other words, if you are travelling on the left for example, and left is moving ahead, while right is moving backwards, parking on the left means you need to face ahead, and if you want to park on the right, you need to U turn and then face behind to park.

    If you just cut into the oncoming lane to park in the opposite direction, then it would be an offence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper ShutterBug View Post
    Is there a wrong direction for parallel parking a car when the road is a two way flow? Confused

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    of course there is !!!
    the wardens will not wait to explain to you and just issue you with a summon.

    it's usually accordance to the traffice flow your intended side of parking space is situated.
    Just tell them you always drive reverse loh!.......or is that also not allowed?

    HS

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post

    If you just cut into the oncoming lane to park in the opposite direction, then it would be an offence.
    And the danger you pose to any oncoming traffic when you head out too... Very dangerous...
    but nowadays some drivers are getting lazy...
    Sony Nex 6 MILC.

  9. #9
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Most people do that when there is clearly no oncoming traffic, but of course they are exceptions.

    The rule is there to prevent the situation you have described, both in rushing for the lot, as well as when getting out of the lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by phelan View Post
    And the danger you pose to any oncoming traffic when you head out too... Very dangerous...
    but nowadays some drivers are getting lazy...

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Most people do that when there is clearly no oncoming traffic, but of course they are exceptions.

    The rule is there to prevent the situation you have described, both in rushing for the lot, as well as when getting out of the lot.
    Beyond that, cars normally don't have reflectors on the front which makes them difficult to see at night/during rainstorms if they are parked against the traffic flow. And on getting out of the parking spot, the driver sits on the side away from the road, which impedes the view of other traffic on the road (blind spot etc.)

  11. #11
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Hmm, at night won't their headlights be on?

  12. #12
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Hmm, at night won't their headlights be on?
    when the car is parked.
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    OT a bit... do you notice that some cars are driven at night without turning the headlights on? doesn't the a55hole behind the wheel know that it is not on or it is done on purpose? what're the reasons behind this stupidity?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    OT a bit... do you notice that some cars are driven at night without turning the headlights on? doesn't the a55hole behind the wheel know that it is not on or it is done on purpose? what're the reasons behind this stupidity?
    They may have forgotten ; not on purpose.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    They may have forgotten ; not on purpose.
    how can you forget about turning the lights on in the dark? i'm sure you'd notice that the dashboard is not lighted up too.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    how can you forget about turning the lights on in the dark? i'm sure you'd notice that the dashboard is not lighted up too.
    Many pple do many things , even though we think it is stupid at different times for no reasons. The only possible reason i can think of is that 1) either they are distracted 2) They are stinging on that few extra watts of energy 3) or they want to be invisible.

    Just like some pple knows it is dangerous not to look out for cars when crossing a busy roads, they still do it , talking on the phones (or even reading ) , crossing the road and meet with accident. Sheer stupidity , but it happens to many of us when we never conciously exert that caution when doing things.

  17. #17
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    OT a bit... do you notice that some cars are driven at night without turning the headlights on? doesn't the a55hole behind the wheel know that it is not on or it is done on purpose? what're the reasons behind this stupidity?
    some cars can turn on dashboard lights without turning on the headlights..anyway Singapore roads too bright oso..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    how can you forget about turning the lights on in the dark? i'm sure you'd notice that the dashboard is not lighted up too.
    I don't know why, but it is very common here, and I haven't seen this problem in other parts of the world.

    In general my impression is that people here drive/park recklessly and without any consideration of the risks/hazards of their actions (i.e. what would be called "common sense").

  19. #19

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    OT a bit... do you notice that some cars are driven at night without turning the headlights on? doesn't the a55hole behind the wheel know that it is not on or it is done on purpose? what're the reasons behind this stupidity?
    I normally drive behind those _________ and flash them with high beam.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Parallel parking

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    I don't know why, but it is very common here, and I haven't seen this problem in other parts of the world.

    In general my impression is that people here drive/park recklessly and without any consideration of the risks/hazards of their actions (i.e. what would be called "common sense").
    With regard to parking inconsiderately.... It's quite common in the older residential estates where owners just leave the cars outside their houses instead of parking under the porch. These ______ have no sense of estimation and don't park close to the kerb, instead they choose to park near the centre line.

    Very common in Serangoon Gardens. Executing a 3 pointer after dropping my girlfriend off is madness. Barely 10 cm of space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •