Thread: CRT or LCD Monitor for Photo Processing?

Default CRT or LCD Monitor for Photo Processing?

I'm wondering what is the most feasible choice between the two?

Tried to search for something like that in the forums but nothing came up.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: CRT or LCD Monitor for Photo Processing?

CRT is best for accurate colour
    but must buy a good one

hmmm i have an old samsung 753df...wonder if its good enough because i am thinking of selling it. The only photo editing work I do now is on my Acer laptop.

I noticed the colours are quite different on both displays...dunno if I should keep the CRT or sell it..

Blog Entries

i am using a really old and calibrated radius pressview which serves me well

to keep or not depends on the condition of your monitor

btw crts cannot really fetch much nowadays

hmm okie!

My monitor is still working fine but no space to keep it already. sigh.

Guess I'll just get a good LCD that can be calibrated. Wonder if LCDs are on par with CRTs nowadays! Maybe not in the past but maybe now it is?

hmm okie!

My monitor is still working fine but no space to keep it already. sigh.

Guess I'll just get a good LCD that can be calibrated. Wonder if LCDs are on par with CRTs nowadays! Maybe not in the past but maybe now it is?

Uncalibrated LCDs nowadays usually give better color gamma than uncalibrated CRTs
    Good CRTs usually takes calibration better than cheap LCDs... 753DF isn't a pro-grade monitor though.

It's better to invest in calibrator to get accurate colour than getting the monitor.

Although I heard colour for CRT is better (for more gamut coverage), but the colours tend to drift faster than LCD monitor.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

hmm okie.

so i guess i'll sell my 753DF since its not really meant for photography. No point keeping!

thanks for all the advice! I'll go get a good LCD when I upgrade my PC

Quote Originally Posted by KSeet View Post
    hmm okie.

so i guess i'll sell my 753DF since its not really meant for photography. No point keeping!

thanks for all the advice! I'll go get a good LCD when I upgrade my PC
    Hi Kelvin,

To get great and accurate colours, you need a good monitor and a proper calibrator. Most people are using LCD panels for the fact that LCDs are just as good as most monitors (less those Eizo ones) and they take up a whole lot less space and are now just as cheap.

You should look at the Apple cinema displays or the Dell ultasharp series of monitors. For the calibrator, you may want to rent it but try to get the eye one machines instead of the spyders.

EH

Quote Originally Posted by enghong17 View Post
    Hi Kelvin,

To get great and accurate colours, you need a good monitor and a proper calibrator. Most people are using LCD panels for the fact that LCDs are just as good as most monitors (less those Eizo ones) and they take up a whole lot less space and are now just as cheap.

You should look at the Apple cinema displays or the Dell ultasharp series of monitors. For the calibrator, you may want to rent it but try to get the eye one machines instead of the spyders.

EH
    Hi Eng Hong!

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to get a new PC so those monitors u suggested are going to be on top of my list!

For calibrators, i'll look around! But I got to read up on it first coz I'm not sure what's the difference and how it even works. haha so much to learn hor!

Thanks again!

really depends on how much you are willing to spend... just came back from "scouting" mission and finally found what I was looking for, Samsung's XL20 LED backlit monitor that can display a wider gamut than Adobe RGB (more than the average Eizo, and definitely better than the Apples and Dells)... at a cost of merely $2999 each...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    really depends on how much you are willing to spend... just came back from "scouting" mission and finally found what I was looking for, Samsung's XL20 LED backlit monitor that can display a wider gamut than Adobe RGB (more than the average Eizo, and definitely better than the Apples and Dells)... at a cost of merely $2999 each...
    wah...that's beyond my budget as I'm a non-pro photographer...maybe if i start earning some money on the sideline taking photos...hmm...heehee

Thanks for the info!