Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Dry Box: Silica Gel

  1. #1

    Default Dry Box: Silica Gel

    I've got this dry box, the silica gel is kind of purple pink in colour, and i've got no microwave oven at home!! any suggestions for the silica gel to change back to blue, other way of heating etc. Or any other things i can do.

    the hydrometer is showing 80% when i got it, then i used oven, heated it awhile, and put it back, after sometime it dropped to 60%. but when i got back home and put my camera back in, it's 80% now. is it due to the rainy weather? or is it that using oven to heat it dont work.
    One day you'll see.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    I didnt know that we can recycle silica gel??
    I can do that using my microwave, how long am i suppose to set?





    Quote Originally Posted by hidden3 View Post
    I've got this dry box, the silica gel is kind of purple pink in colour, and i've got no microwave oven at home!! any suggestions for the silica gel to change back to blue, other way of heating etc. Or any other things i can do.

    the hydrometer is showing 80% when i got it, then i used oven, heated it awhile, and put it back, after sometime it dropped to 60%. but when i got back home and put my camera back in, it's 80% now. is it due to the rainy weather? or is it that using oven to heat it dont work.

  3. #3
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    Quote Originally Posted by 20Babies View Post
    I didnt know that we can recycle silica gel??
    I can do that using my microwave, how long am i suppose to set?
    yes u can..but it won't be as effective..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    I do not recommend you to use microwave as the silicon gel will break into pieces subsequently and make your microwave messy and dusty.....not really hygiene for food.

    Look for an old frying pan instead. Turn to low heat and pour the moist silicon gel in. Use an unwanted chop stick to stir and stir.... when silicon gel turns back to dark blue, it's ready.

    BUT please take note that silicon gel after frying is very HOT... you can put the hot pan with silicon gel in it and let it cool...

    While 'frying' the silicon gel..the room also get a bit hot, remember to open windows to ventilate.... btw, I have been doing it with the old pans and the silicon does last me many many years.... about 10 years??

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East side
    Posts
    3,704

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    Not all silica gel are microwave-able. If you don't have a microwave oven, you can use a small pot and heat the pink silica gel over a slow fire.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    I do not recommend you to use microwave as the silicon gel will break into pieces subsequently and make your microwave messy and dusty.....not really hygiene for food.

    Look for an old frying pan instead. Turn to low heat and pour the moist silicon gel in. Use an unwanted chop stick to stir and stir.... when silicon gel turns back to dark blue, it's ready.

    BUT please take note that silicon gel after frying is very HOT... you can put the hot pan with silicon gel in it and let it cool...

    While 'frying' the silicon gel..the room also get a bit hot, remember to open windows to ventilate.... btw, I have been doing it with the old pans and the silicon does last me many many years.... about 10 years??

  7. #7

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    mine's the i-Case silica gel, it's like sealed in a plastic container with small holes. so do i go and buy another silica gel pack or what? hmm can i like put chopsticks first, then silica gel on top of the pan, then like slowly heat it for sometime, no harm trying right?
    One day you'll see.

  8. #8
    Member Buggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,139

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    Quote Originally Posted by hidden3 View Post
    I've got this dry box, the silica gel is kind of purple pink in colour, and i've got no microwave oven at home!! any suggestions for the silica gel to change back to blue, other way of heating etc. Or any other things i can do.

    the hydrometer is showing 80% when i got it, then i used oven, heated it awhile, and put it back, after sometime it dropped to 60%. but when i got back home and put my camera back in, it's 80% now. is it due to the rainy weather? or is it that using oven to heat it dont work.
    same goes for dry cabinet, because the object has got moisture... the RH would increase. and once it's "dry", the RH would drop. be patient... the effect isn't instant

  9. #9

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    oh so like because when i just put it in, the hydrometer will rise quite significantly. but after awhile it'll drop gradually?
    One day you'll see.

  10. #10
    Member Buggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,139

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    i used to put in extra silica gel if i find that the RH doesn't drop to the optimum level. just wrap it up in a tissue, then put it inside the dry box. works as well.

    ... and that is why most ppl recommend dry cabinet instead of dry box, because it's rather tedious. cheers

  11. #11

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    i used to put in extra silica gel if i find that the RH doesn't drop to the optimum level. just wrap it up in a tissue, then put it inside the dry box. works as well.

    ... and that is why most ppl recommend dry cabinet instead of dry box, because it's rather tedious. cheers
    no $$ leh student still
    One day you'll see.

  12. #12
    Member Buggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,139

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    Quote Originally Posted by hidden3 View Post
    oh so like because when i just put it in, the hydrometer will rise quite significantly. but after awhile it'll drop gradually?
    ah yes... that'll be the usual case. unless the silica gel is already pink (means it can't take anymore moisture).

  13. #13
    Member Buggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,139

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    Quote Originally Posted by hidden3 View Post
    no $$ leh student still
    i understand. used to do that last time as well.

    on the long run, it's really tedious... i gave up and am now using dry cabinet.

  14. #14
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    Do note that silica gel are carcinogenic material....

    handling it may cause cancer in the long run.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  15. #15
    Member seaweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    Quote Originally Posted by hidden3 View Post
    mine's the i-Case silica gel, it's like sealed in a plastic container with small holes. so do i go and buy another silica gel pack or what? hmm can i like put chopsticks first, then silica gel on top of the pan, then like slowly heat it for sometime, no harm trying right?
    U can try tis http://www.q-lifestyle.com/ecodry1.htm

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    Quote Originally Posted by hidden3 View Post
    no $$ leh student still
    Christmas round the corner........ hope your year end results entitled you for some rewards....
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  17. #17

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    Silica gel is only $3+ for one big bottle... IMHO, why not spend that tiny amt of money and get a new bottle instead of frying/microwaving/ovening the old ones? Arnt u worried the chemicals vaporise and somehow get into your food in the future? These materials are cancerous... Not worth it to risk it for a few bucks...
    D700|24-70 f2.8|50mm f1.8|105VR f2.8 Micro|28-70 f3.5-4.5|SB600|SB800

  18. #18
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    do yourself a favor, get a dry cabinet, think of the heath of your family members,

    explain this to your daddy and mummy, send the camera and lens for fungus cleaning one time, already cost more than one dry cabinet, now everyday raining, you want to grow mushrooms on your camera??
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  19. #19

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    Yes, thanks for that website! Browsing thru it now.

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Christmas round the corner........ hope your year end results entitled you for some rewards....
    Dad spon 1k for my camera already! Haha! Bo bian have to use drybox first.

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes187 View Post
    Silica gel is only $3+ for one big bottle... IMHO, why not spend that tiny amt of money and get a new bottle instead of frying/microwaving/ovening the old ones? Arnt u worried the chemicals vaporise and somehow get into your food in the future? These materials are cancerous... Not worth it to risk it for a few bucks...
    Yes, come to think of it, silica gel isn't that expensive. And where do i get them?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    do yourself a favor, get a dry cabinet, think of the heath of your family members,

    explain this to your daddy and mummy, send the camera and lens for fungus cleaning one time, already cost more than one dry cabinet, now everyday raining, you want to grow mushrooms on your camera??
    Yeah everyday raining, but if i'm using my camera often, wouldn't be much of a problem to have mushrooms growing right.
    One day you'll see.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Dry Box: Silica Gel

    hi, am using the icase also. got fed up of microwavin em gels, after getting rid of some lens, i can actually fit a hungry hippo in it. RH is now 40%. ohh btw i also took out the silica gel pack, only wif the hippo now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •