Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I worry? Internet Security

Default Should I worry? Internet Security

I got this report that my system has a 'Downloader' - Trojan Horse type infection. Cannot be cleared easily. The Norton dialog says it's a 'high' risk, but when I click on it to find out more, the long technical description comes out saying that it's a low risk low damage thingy.

Should I worry and how do I get rid of it completely, other than re-booting?

Thanks for reading guys!

Default Re: Should I worry? Internet Security

not sure if this can help, you might want to check for unfamiliar files under

- My Documents
    - My Received Files

and clear the following folder of files that can be deleted

- My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings > (Your Name/ID folder) > Local Settings (may be hidden) > Temp

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I got this report that my system has a 'Downloader' - Trojan Horse type infection. Cannot be cleared easily. The Norton dialog says it's a 'high' risk, but when I click on it to find out more, the long technical description comes out saying that it's a low risk low damage thingy.

Should I worry and how do I get rid of it completely, other than re-booting?

Thanks for reading guys!
    This might be of help of this is the right variant of the virus that is in your system:

http://www.symantec.com/security_res...134-99&tabid=3

Since you are using that dumbass bloatware "Norton" hehehe...their extraction work flow should help you. Sorry I stop using Norton for the last 3 yrs and since then...my system is alot safer.

Anyway..good luck hope you managed to get rid of it. There don't seem to be a removal tool I could find any where to help you do it automatically. This seem to be one of those very stubor ones to get rid of.

What's the exact name of the virus? I maybe can help you disinfect.

for best results, use Kaspersky antivirus. the most reliable antivirus up to date

Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    for best results, use Kaspersky antivirus. the most reliable antivirus up to date
    Use too much system resources. Use NOD32.

Thanks for the quick replies and assistance guys!

Eikin, i did not find any 'unfamiliar files or folders' in those err...places. I also do not seem to have a 'My Received...' folder I guess mainly because I do not download e-mail attachments temporarily, but directly to working folders.

I cleared 253 'Temp' items - 2 could not be deleted, and ran the scan, and now my system is CLEAR! YEAAAAAA!

But Sammy, i will keep a tab on that link in case I ever need it.

Hmm...my friend who helped me choose the components nd built this computer for me mentioned that he uses 3 different anti-virus softewares successfully on his system.

Since I have Norton (yeah, I actually paid for original software!), are there any other free AV softwares you guys would recommend to supplement Norton and won't conflict with it?

Thanks once again.

Eikin, i did not find any 'unfamiliar files or folders' in those err...places. I also do not seem to have a 'My Received...' folder I guess mainly because I do not download e-mail attachments temporarily, but directly to working folders.

I cleared 253 'Temp' items - 2 could not be deleted, and ran the scan, and now my system is CLEAR! YEAAAAAA!

Hmm...my friend who helped me choose the components nd built this computer for me mentioned that he uses 3 different anti-virus softewares successfully on his system.

Since I have Norton (yeah, I actually paid for original software!), are there any other free AV softwares you guys would recommend to supplement Norton and won't conflict with it?

Thanks once again.
    NEVER use more than 1 Anti-virus software! They may conflict with each other and cause problems. Can you list those you installed?

Thanks once again.
    hmmm ... i'm not familiar with the technicalities, as told by one of my friends here, trojan horses return again and again because it can ''hide'' a file under a different name that goes undetected by the usual anti virus softwares. those places i mentioned are the most likely places you'll find that ''alien specie.'' i use a free av software, you can find it on this website www.free-av.com some people have complaints about it and don't trust it, but i've used it for some years (was recommended by a software shop owner i went to last time ... i told him i want to buy an av software he told me to go and download free lol ...) it has kept my pc clean and safe so far if you're going to install another av software, you need to uninstall the previous one because they will conflict each other and slow down your pc to turtle speed i also have a strict rule on downloading files so that cut down alot of risks.
    Last edited by eikin; 10th December 2007 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks again Eikin! I will regularly check those 'hiding places' with this new to me information you have just kindly shared, and delete accordingly. Is it a good idea to delete the 'Temp' files on a regular basis even if I am not having problems ... sort of like regular maintenance?

Thanks for the heads-uo Dorts. I have ONLY Norton installed so I guess I'm safe. I was just remembering what my friend mentioned ... that he uses 3 different AV softwares. On hindsight, he might be using 3 differnet softwares for several different systems (I'm sure he has more than one! LOL!)

Thanks again Eikin! I will regularly check those 'hiding places' with this new to me information you have just kindly shared, and delete accordingly. Is it a good idea to delete the 'Temp' files on a regular basis even if I am not having problems ... sort of like regular maintenance?

Thanks for the heads-uo Dorts. I have ONLY Norton installed so I guess I'm safe. I was just remembering what my friend mentioned ... that he uses 3 different AV softwares. On hindsight, he might be using 3 differnet softwares for several different systems (I'm sure he has more than one! LOL!)
    Seriously, remove Norton. It's very bloated and waste space, and resource. Can use the one recommended by Eikin. Or can try AVG as well. If paid software, I recommend NOD32.

Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    What's the exact name of the virus? I maybe can help you disinfect.
    i kana something call 'ASTRY'...

it make all the folders to .exe file.. all 152kb... hidden somemore..

when u try to show hidden files, the words there become indo words...

help help..
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

Use too much system resources. Use NOD32.
    I have been using NOD32 for the past 2 years plus. Awesome. Simple, very light and it updates itself so quietly in the background and my CPU never even skip a beat. It is indeed the one with the smallest footprint of all the anti virus I have used.

Quote Originally Posted by k3nn3th03 View Post

help help..

Something tells me you open an email or was "preview" one when this one hit you heheh. This one is common and has many variations. Norton has a way of removing it...thus if you are using Norton you should go following their direction to get rid of this sticky one.

So you saw it had named file with Malay text huh? heheh Well so you know where it originate from eheheheh...

http://www.symantec.com/business/sec...533-99&tabid=2

http://www.symantec.com/business/sec...533-99&tabid=3

By the way, have you check your startup folder? You might find the astry.exe there. But it is able to replicate itself. So you need to still go in "deep" to extract all of those do-do it has thrown all over the place including your Registry.

I hope you are comfortable mucking about in your XP's Registry and all that... I can't find a removal tool for it anywhere so far. (that's free heh) So I can't offer any other help at this time.
    Last edited by sammy888; 11th December 2007 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k3nn3th03 View Post

help help..
    I recommend you to go to, http://www.techsupportforum.com. They will help you.

Try to get the virus name, google it on the removal method. Manual removal is often better than antiviruses, as once infected, they're close to useless from my experience. I hate trojans as they steal your passwords, infos, and if (hackers) they feel like it, destroy your crucial boot.

You need to run hijackthis http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGklj361...HJTInstall.exe
    in order for the techie to help you, or if you want, I can help you. Hope you kill it soon.
    Last edited by dennisc; 11th December 2007 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I have been using NOD32 for the past 2 years plus. Awesome. Simple, very light and it updates itself so quietly in the background and my CPU never even skip a beat. It is indeed the one with the smallest footprint of all the anti virus I have used.
    U obviously haven't upgraded to V3 of nod 32. Please dont until they get it to work stabler. On the whole, nod32 is one of the best i have ever used! No Crap or whatsoever. It just does its work.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Something tells me you open an email or was "preview" one when this one hit you heheh. This one is common and has many variations. Norton has a way of removing it...thus if you are using Norton you should go following their direction to get rid of this sticky one.

So you saw it had named file with Malay text huh? heheh Well so you know where it originate from eheheheh...

http://www.symantec.com/business/sec...533-99&tabid=2

http://www.symantec.com/business/sec...533-99&tabid=3

By the way, have you check your startup folder? You might find the astry.exe there. But it is able to replicate itself. So you need to still go in "deep" to extract all of those do-do it has thrown all over the place including your Registry.

I hope you are comfortable mucking about in your XP's Registry and all that... I can't find a removal tool for it anywhere so far. (that's free heh) So I can't offer any other help at this time.
    actually kana this virus from poly computer lab..

the whole 3rd floor com kana..

friend check, it will show a pic of a malay woman..

think ONLY panda can clear...

thanks for ur help and advise ...

I recommend you to go to, http://www.techsupportforum.com. They will help you.
    roger..

thanks also..

Deregistered

go under window registry and try to look for any suspicious name which shouldn't be there.
    As what someone says,it can returned.
    I go it once and i did a reformatt,backup everything before hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast