Thread: Buying 2nd hnd lens, wht to look out for?

Default Buying 2nd hnd lens, wht to look out for?

hey, im buying a 2nd hand lens from someone and wld like some advice about wht to look out for! and how do i spot fungus!
    also, can a sigma 28-300 be used on a canon 40D? thnks!

Unhappy Re: Buying 2nd hnd lens, wht to look out for?

UP UP UP~

anyone help to advise?

Default Re: Buying 2nd hnd lens, wht to look out for?

here's what i do:
    1. physically examine the lense for any scratches/dents/dings/dust to the lens or the glass. also use a flashlight to shine inside the lens to have a look
    2. twist the zoom and focus rings, make sure they operate smoothly
    3. attach it to your camera. select the smallest aperture and press the DOF preview button. check the aperture blades
    4. take a picture (at smallest aperture) of a light solid colour (wall/ceiling/piece of paper/etc) and check for dust spots
    5. take a picture of small font to check for sharpness
    6. make sure autofocus works and doesnt sound like it's going to die

that's about it

Quote Originally Posted by dw2chan View Post
    here's what i do:
    1. physically examine the lense for any scratches/dents/dings/dust to the lens or the glass. also use a flashlight to shine inside the lens to have a look
    3. attach it to your camera. select the smallest aperture and press the DOF preview button. check the aperture blades
    4. take a picture (at smallest aperture) of a light solid colour (wall/ceiling/piece of paper/etc) and check for dust spots

that's about it
    u have unknowingly help me in this topic too.
    ahaha. thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by dw2chan View Post
    here's what i do:

that's about it
    taking a pic of a wall at small apertures only shows the dust on the sensor right?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewant View Post
    hey, im buying a 2nd hand lens from someone and wld like some advice about wht to look out for! and how do i spot fungus!
    also, can a sigma 28-300 be used on a canon 40D? thnks!
    Hope this helps.

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=311048

Sometimes it's a bit tricky to buy a second hand lens.
    Another option is to bring along a friend who knows how to check the lens.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

How much savings if you buy a second hand lens? 10%? 20%? if the difference is not so much, I would rather get a brand new one. Especially if the price of the lens is on the high end. Think about it, who would get a high end lens costing $1.5k and above and then sell it? would a amateur of noobie spend that kind of money?

so in my 1.5cents of opinion, I would go for a brand new lens. At least there is the warranty....... and I know if the pictures dun come out well, most probably its my skill.....
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

@flipfreak - taking a picture of a wall at small ap. will show dust on sensor and in the lens. so i guess make sure u know where your dust spots on ur sensor are before and if new ones show up...those are from the lens

@smalltake - there is usually significant savings (or else the used lens market wont exist) even 20% savings on a $1.5k lens is $300. this gets you about 1/3 of the way to another lens. and there are many reasons for selling a highend lens...especially if the owner gets a higher end lens (i bought my 70-200 f2.8 from a guy who recently bought a 28-300) or if the owner decides to shoot other subjects...like going from macro to birding or portraits....

but at the end you will always take a risk buying used. the more you know how to check out a lens the lesser that risk. and in my opinion, it pays off. at the end of the day if i get a crappy lens, i'll just take whatever money i saved and send it to canon to have it fixed.