Thread: Sisters at play.

Default Sisters at play.

Took this picture of a pair of sisters playing at Punggol beach. The mother was nice enough to warn the sisters to look over, which only one of them did. Hope to get some feedback on the composition - i wondered if i captured the essence of the photo, of them having a good time at the beach. Also, in terms of exposure & colour, whether it is too dark, nice colour to the picture or not.

Still new to DSLR photography, not sure if i did correctly. The settings i used:
    Focal length: 100mm
    Exposure: Shutter priority
    Metering: Center weighted
    1/160 sec - F9
    ISO100, 0EV
    WB: Direct sunlight
    AF-S

C&C please, thanks!!!

Default Re: Sisters at play.

i would prefer the gal standing up not to ve her head chop off like this... kinda spoil the pic... and there isn't any thing in the pic that shows the girls are playing... maybe shoud not have use such a long focal length, and show the sand and toys they have ard them...
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

shorter focal length would be able to show what they're doing in the background. fill flash can be fired as the subject seems underexposed. colour and contrast is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    shorter focal length would be able to show what they're doing in the background. fill flash can be fired as the subject seems underexposed. colour and contrast is there.
    i think vertical view will be nicer, and leave some head room. i like the depth of field. the level can still be improve. i think its alittle under-expose, could it be your metering?. btw the girl is very cute.
    Last edited by macson; 9th December 2007 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel84 View Post
    i would prefer the gal standing up not to ve her head chop off like this... kinda spoil the pic... and there isn't any thing in the pic that shows the girls are playing... maybe shoud not have use such a long focal length, and show the sand and toys they have ard them...
    Hhmmm... thanks! So idea is to show more area around them... my fear was the distractions around (people nearby) - hope that orange thing in the background was not too distracting.

Still need to work on the "picture telling a story" bit. Thanks thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by macson View Post
    i think vertical view will be nicer, and leave some head room. i like the depth of field. the level can still be improve. i think its alittle under-expose, could it be your metering?. btw the girl is very cute.
    i've been reading about DoF even before i got my cam... but still figuring it out. After all, it's been only 3 days since i had my Nikon D80. Heh.

If you think the girl is cute... check out the brother: http://forums.clubsnap.com/showpost....&postcount=308

it would be better if u take in portrait mode...

Quote Originally Posted by funniecrys View Post
    i've been reading about DoF even before i got my cam... but still figuring it out. After all, it's been only 3 days since i had my Nikon D80. Heh.

If you think the girl is cute... check out the brother: http://forums.clubsnap.com/showpost....&postcount=308
    lol.. very cool hairstyle.. haha indeed very cute. so u got the same dslr as mine. haf fun with it.

i dont really see the play part being illustrated. Maybe it is not candid enough. one of the girls noticed you shooting

Quote Originally Posted by macson View Post
    lol.. very cool hairstyle.. haha indeed very cute. so u got the same dslr as mine. haf fun with it.
    D80 is cool yeah!!! Have fun with yours too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blurry80 View Post
    i dont really see the play part being illustrated. Maybe it is not candid enough. one of the girls noticed you shooting
    Yup... had feedback about including the sand & tools they had. The mum called out for the girls to look over at me & only 1 sister responded. Friendly mum... i dont even know her!