Thread: Tinsel Town

Default Tinsel Town

Last night was my first attempt to brave myself on a night trip with my just-acquired DSLR and my tripod. It was amazing how fast 2 hours flew by. My last shot was the attached ... I titled it " Tinsel Town ".

I didn't really get alot of different shots as I had to retake them again and again ( due to lighting and fiddling around with the tripod and different settings ).

As I was walking back, I came across this sign. Snapped it without a tripod just as a caucasian couple walked past me .... They seemed happy and giggling but I didn't quite get the shots I wanted ...

Please comment on the lighting; exposure, framing, was it too processed .etc.
    I am all armored ...so shoot ...

Default Re: Tinsel Town

Hi fabianaino,

May I know what is the main object in your picture? If its the sign, then its spoilt by the light reflection. And the "W" is overexposed (as I assume it shouldn't be white but gold like the "T"). The rest of the pic is very dark and I can't tell if its a walk way to a restuarant or is it part of the interrior of the restuarant.

Hope you don't mind my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by fabianaino View Post

Last night was my first attempt to brave myself on a night trip with my just-acquired DSLR and my tripod. It was amazing how fast 2 hours flew by. My last shot was the attached ... I titled it " Tinsel Town ".

I didn't really get alot of different shots as I had to retake them again and again ( due to lighting and fiddling around with the tripod and different settings ).

As I was walking back, I came across this sign. Snapped it without a tripod just as a caucasian couple walked past me .... They seemed happy and giggling but I didn't quite get the shots I wanted ...

Please comment on the lighting; exposure, framing, was it too processed .etc.
    I am all armored ...so shoot ...

Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Hi fabianaino,

May I know what is the main object in your picture? If its the sign, then its spoilt by the light reflection. And the "W" is overexposed (as I assume it shouldn't be white but gold like the "T"). The rest of the pic is very dark and I can't tell if its a walk way to a restuarant or is it part of the interrior of the restuarant.

Hope you don't mind my opinion.
    NO, I am not put off by your opinion at all....No worries. In fact I very much appreciate it.

The sign was the main theme, which I wanted to convey. It was taken at the alfresco side of the dinning area behind One Fullington. I was amazed by the the glittering lights around there and near the boat Quay area but unfortuantely I wasn't able to capture anything I thought was delightful. It was glittery but yet valueless to me, and hence the theme "Tinsel Town".

You are right, I reckon the background was alittle dark for viewers to decide what it was.

Will take note and not "contrast" it too much in the future.

Since its part of the alfresco dinning area, I would shoot at a higher angle to show the dining table (with candle light I suppose).

Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Since its part of the alfresco dinning area, I would shoot at a higher angle to show the dining table (with candle light I suppose).

Thanks lastboltnut.
    I will note that and try it out next time .