Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Travelling wih dSLR?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Travelling wih dSLR?

    Hi all,
    have been thinking about this for quite some time.
    Do you have a "smaller" dSLR to use when going for travelling.
    What model are you using?
    The concern here is about the size and weight. Also about the security issues (camera too big, look too expensive, crime magnet).
    Just want to find out what others are doing. Planning to get a smaller dSLR for travelling purpose. I don't feel like going to compacts after i've used dSLRs .
    cameras are not made of tofu

  2. #2
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Depending on what system you're using now lor. For me, I had a KM 5D for overseas use (backup) while my main cam is the KM 7D.Just get an entry level model for overseas use if you want to travel light.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  3. #3

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    Hi all,
    have been thinking about this for quite some time.
    Do you have a "smaller" dSLR to use when going for travelling.
    What model are you using?
    The concern here is about the size and weight. Also about the security issues (camera too big, look too expensive, crime magnet).
    Just want to find out what others are doing. Planning to get a smaller dSLR for travelling purpose. I don't feel like going to compacts after i've used dSLRs .
    I don't think there are any "smaller" dSLR in the market. Anyway, I brought along my Prosumer (Lumix FZ-20) when I travelled. It works equally well if not better than most dSLR. My 2 cts worth.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    My concern is always the weight rather than the size.
    I am using Olympus E500 which I think is lighter compared to Nikon & Canon.
    Always carry 2 cameras in my camera bag for my trekking trip.. together with 1 compact camera as a backup but no tripod.
    For me, my concern is always the battery + memory... not the security aspect as it depend where you travel.
    It will be end of the story if your camera refuse to power up @ certain high altitude.
    Battery tend to drain faster there if not keep warm...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Nikon D40 & D40x is rather small, you may consider that.
    Nikon D5000 | NikKor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G VR | Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G | SB-400

  6. #6
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    I tend to view lost of camera to snatch theft to just be part and parcel of life heheh.. Now before you go crazy....let me add that we read about things like this happening like quite a bit in newspapers or forums but really how often does it really happen. Sometime we are reading the same story over and over again ( appearing in the various magzine or media) or you get expose to it so often you start to think this happen so often like an epidemic heheh.

    I have been lugging all my camera gears with me for almost 20 yrs now and a good part of it I had F3, F4 and F5 with lens as long as the 70-200 zoom and as many as 8 lens at any one time. I never have any issue. I have LOST them my silly self but nothing has gotten stolen.

    It is also how you go about doing certain things to begin with. Unless I am shooting something specific like a wedding or some official event ofr my company...then I would use a camera bag. But if I am travelling or on walk about shooting, I use a very normal looking haversack. I cushion parts of the interior with just enough padding without making it look bulky. I pre-select what lens I need to bring and then try to cut down further on them for my short list. I try to alway just have up to a maximum of 3 lens with me maximum. I will then chuck the whole lot into the haversack and go walk.

    I sometime walk with the camera in the bag and only whip it out when I need to shoot or I might just hang the camera sling around my nexk and just walk with the camera held on to with my hand ( camera position in the front of my body )

    Weight is relative and I guess I am one of those who look at it this way. Good shots equal bring more gear. Less gear equal less nicer shots. Now when I say "less nice" it has many meanings... without a tripod you can't take night scene in long exposure, with non fast lens you might have to take with slower speed or with flash or higher ISO...etc things like that.

    So there are decision to make when you want to take photos on holiday. Some of my trips especially short ones, I have brought more camera gear with me then clothing heheh.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I tend to view lost of camera to snatch theft to just be part and parcel of life heheh.. Now before you go crazy....let me add that we read about things like this happening like quite a bit in newspapers or forums but really how often does it really happen. Sometime we are reading the same story over and over again ( appearing in the various magzine or media) or you get expose to it so often you start to think this happen so often like an epidemic heheh.

    I have been lugging all my camera gears with me for almost 20 yrs now and a good part of it I had F3, F4 and F5 with lens as long as the 70-200 zoom and as many as 8 lens at any one time. I never have any issue. I have LOST them my silly self but nothing has gotten stolen.

    It is also how you go about doing certain things to begin with. Unless I am shooting something specific like a wedding or some official event ofr my company...then I would use a camera bag. But if I am travelling or on walk about shooting, I use a very normal looking haversack. I cushion parts of the interior with just enough padding without making it look bulky. I pre-select what lens I need to bring and then try to cut down further on them for my short list. I try to alway just have up to a maximum of 3 lens with me maximum. I will then chuck the whole lot into the haversack and go walk.

    I sometime walk with the camera in the bag and only whip it out when I need to shoot or I might just hang the camera sling around my nexk and just walk with the camera held on to with my hand ( camera position in the front of my body )

    Weight is relative and I guess I am one of those who look at it this way. Good shots equal bring more gear. Less gear equal less nicer shots. Now when I say "less nice" it has many meanings... without a tripod you can't take night scene in long exposure, with non fast lens you might have to take with slower speed or with flash or higher ISO...etc things like that.

    So there are decision to make when you want to take photos on holiday. Some of my trips especially short ones, I have brought more camera gear with me then clothing heheh.
    Good read and thanks for sharing the experience.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    When i went Korea this June, i brought my 10D with grip, both my Ls and full accessories with my 'ex' A710 IS.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  9. #9
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    When i went Korea this June, i brought my 10D with grip, both my Ls and full accessories with my 'ex' A710 IS.
    I am sure you got yourself alot of nice shots heheh..

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I am sure you got yourself alot of nice shots heheh..
    Yupz, took 1600+ pics in total within the 8 days.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    445

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by zola70 View Post
    Nikon D40 & D40x is rather small, you may consider that.
    Good choice. Small and virtually weightless. A friend of mine travelling with a D40 (plus kit lens) just returned from Laos. The lighting was wonderful, and she took many very fine photos of the local children and the countryside. I was so impressed

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Hmm...
    Nice discussion.
    To Antimony60: Actually what i meant by a smaller dSLR means really a smaller dSLR. For example: S3 Pro is "big one", and D40 is a "small one".
    Yah, maybe i'll think about a D40 probably. Kind of thinking of olympus dSLRs too. Think about it.
    Thanks for the input.
    cameras are not made of tofu

  13. #13

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Honestly, you should consider Olympus E-410...smallest DLSR at the moment. Light, and the the kit lens light too..

  14. #14

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    What about the canon 400D toy cam + kit lens?
    It's very small and light.

    .

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    What about the canon 400D toy cam + kit lens?
    It's very small and light.

    .
    The older 350D is even lighter though. But the 400D is gd enough for travelling.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    Hmm...
    Nice discussion.
    To Antimony60: Actually what i meant by a smaller dSLR means really a smaller dSLR. For example: S3 Pro is "big one", and D40 is a "small one".
    Yah, maybe i'll think about a D40 probably. Kind of thinking of olympus dSLRs too. Think about it.
    Thanks for the input.
    since u using S3 Pro...D40 will be the easier choice cos of lenes...if not take a serious of
    E410 w/ 2 kits lens...is light n handy...

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    thanks for all the input.
    will consider D40 or E410.
    cameras are not made of tofu

  18. #18

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    I don't really dare to take out even my Fujifilm F30 while in KL or JB.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    848

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I tend to view lost of camera to snatch theft to just be part and parcel of life heheh.. Now before you go crazy....let me add that we read about things like this happening like quite a bit in newspapers or forums but really how often does it really happen. Sometime we are reading the same story over and over again ( appearing in the various magzine or media) or you get expose to it so often you start to think this happen so often like an epidemic heheh.

    I have been lugging all my camera gears with me for almost 20 yrs now and a good part of it I had F3, F4 and F5 with lens as long as the 70-200 zoom and as many as 8 lens at any one time. I never have any issue. I have LOST them my silly self but nothing has gotten stolen.

    It is also how you go about doing certain things to begin with. Unless I am shooting something specific like a wedding or some official event ofr my company...then I would use a camera bag. But if I am travelling or on walk about shooting, I use a very normal looking haversack. I cushion parts of the interior with just enough padding without making it look bulky. I pre-select what lens I need to bring and then try to cut down further on them for my short list. I try to alway just have up to a maximum of 3 lens with me maximum. I will then chuck the whole lot into the haversack and go walk.

    I sometime walk with the camera in the bag and only whip it out when I need to shoot or I might just hang the camera sling around my nexk and just walk with the camera held on to with my hand ( camera position in the front of my body )

    Weight is relative and I guess I am one of those who look at it this way. Good shots equal bring more gear. Less gear equal less nicer shots. Now when I say "less nice" it has many meanings... without a tripod you can't take night scene in long exposure, with non fast lens you might have to take with slower speed or with flash or higher ISO...etc things like that.

    So there are decision to make when you want to take photos on holiday. Some of my trips especially short ones, I have brought more camera gear with me then clothing heheh.
    Haha ... you are just like me !!!

    When I when for a 10 day road trip to US, I brought equal amt of gear and clothes ... My wife thot I was mad !!! Oh, and BTW, I was using a D1H. Can you imagine the batt ???

    I always believe that if you have already travelled all the way to a place, you better have all that is neccessary to capture the beauty of the place and bring it back with you. Unless you always travel to that place very often, then it's a different story altogther ...

  20. #20
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Travelling wih dSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyfoot17 View Post
    Haha ... you are just like me !!!

    When I when for a 10 day road trip to US, I brought equal amt of gear and clothes ... My wife thot I was mad !!! Oh, and BTW, I was using a D1H. Can you imagine the batt ???

    I always believe that if you have already travelled all the way to a place, you better have all that is neccessary to capture the beauty of the place and bring it back with you. Unless you always travel to that place very often, then it's a different story altogther ...

    Agree bro.....

    Did the same on my recent Bali Photo + Diving trip...... my dive gears alone is 18kg. Not incl my camera gears which weight at least another 5kg..... and what about clothing.... hehehe

    Scuba & Father... For Life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •