Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 85

Thread: SEA Games - Phones taken

  1. #61

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    It's not about the handphones. Its about trusting your coaches and knowing that it was a team decision and not whining about "human rights" infringement. If our team players cannot work together in a team, how to play as a team.... All I hear so far are complains after complains about the team's coaches.... well if there is so much unhappiness, then bring it up formally and officially instead of whining about it here....
    yea trusting the same people who ordered a high carb lunch on the plane or stopping at kfc for lunch. yeah these people have shown that they know best don;t they?

  2. #62

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    yea trusting the same people who ordered a high carb lunch on the plane or stopping at kfc for lunch. yeah these people have shown that they know best don;t they?
    Well again those facts you got are from the TS. Do we know the reasoning for high carb lunch... no we dont. Do we really know if they did stop for KFC. Why? No we dont again. Yet we make a thousand and one assumptions.... but anyway is that not always the case here.

  3. #63

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Folks , please stay focused on the topic. If I feel this is swaying too much into anti-govt or members against members fight, I will close this thread immediately.

  4. #64

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    I have a different opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    its not abt u or ur wife..its the whole team...if ur wife can control...wat if other team mates can't...its abt the team's discipline. team work as a whole...one suffer all suffer together and if the team wins...they win as a team. As far as i know there is hardly enough time for play during the entire campaign
    If it's discipline, then there are 2 things I see there's room for improvements. Firstly, such discipline should already be educated and enforced during their routine trainings, not such high handed actions at departure check-ins.

    Secondly, if the coach can't trust the team (discipline or otherwise)... who will? What sort of psychological "messages" will the team be receiving?


    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    its a big competition...u r staying at the athletes village which is not even a 3 star hotel. u need to train, get used to climate and food, focus on the game and the also the jitters at such level of competition...

    It only seems barbaric to someone who have no sense of discipline. Anyway its only for 12 days...give her a good treat and show her your support when she come back...i'm sure she will feel alot alot better. This is my humble point of view as a former athlete.
    I believe you'll understand that it's not just 12 days, but they need every competitive edge they can garner, AFAIK unannounced "shock" treatment isn't a competitive edge, in fact if you've been through NS, you'll know how demoralising that can be. (Even when it's already anticipated)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Even if we cannot win the competition. But if we are disciplined, well trained, and with good team rapport. Team Singapore can hold their heads up high...why get fussed up over a small hand phone matter.
    Team Singapore concept actually doesn't only comprise of those who are there on location but the concept is such that the whole country is behind everyone of the representative, if not for these little nothings that the family and friends offers... what other support are we talking about. SSC to buy tickets and pay airfare for Sg supporters issit?


    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Having seen other athletes from other countries, i can say that they are very very well disciplined and they respect their coach alot. You have to be in their shoes to understand.
    Respects are earned... if the coach doesn't trust the team to be disciplined enough, it's gonna be very hard to earn their respect you see in other countries athletes.


    That being said, there's 1 BIG assumption that everyone is making... and that the "last" communication has been through and matter of fact... cuz one must also understand that instructions might have already been passed but due to the anticipation of the games, it might have slipped her mind until the last moment.
    Last edited by CYRN; 10th December 2007 at 11:13 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  5. #65

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    The working of local Team Managers and appointed Coaches can be very, very strange, and being human subject to influence and ego, yes, they can make some fairly stupid sounding decisions.

    Couple that with tons of ego and politics all round and we have a recipe for new Scrawny Cheatken fast-food.

    But if the Team Managers and Coaches are the first we distrust so vehemently, who are we supposed to trust at least where sports are concerned?

    Seeing how many are so worked up, and the level of mud-slinging and speculation going on here, I doubt if anything said would make any real difference, so I would only offer a repeat of what someone else suggested: Contact the SSC and Team Singapore, and seek clarification or an airing of grievences, and see if they can offer any kind of explanation that would placate all the anger here.

    Better yet, write to the press or STOMP if you suspect that you would not get a process of due course or any kind of honest or satisfactory answer from the governing bodies.

    At best, members here can only speculate and opine. We are not the governing nor managing bodies.

  6. #66

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    It's not about the handphones. Its about trusting your coaches and knowing that it was a team decision and not whining about "human rights" infringement. If our team players cannot work together in a team, how to play as a team.... All I hear so far are complains after complains about the team's coaches.... well if there is so much unhappiness, then bring it up formally and officially instead of whining about it here....
    As mentioned in my last para. If it's a consensus of the team with players agreement, then mis-communication between TS and his wife has caused these misunderstandings. There's a BIG assumption that decision was unilaterally done by the coach at the last minute.
    Last edited by CYRN; 10th December 2007 at 11:20 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  7. #67
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    I am talking about the handphones, not the coaches.

    There's nothing to bring up formally because this is an informal discussion. The only people entitled to bring it up formally are the atheletes themselves, not you or me.

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    It's not about the handphones. Its about trusting your coaches and knowing that it was a team decision and not whining about "human rights" infringement. If our team players cannot work together in a team, how to play as a team.... All I hear so far are complains after complains about the team's coaches.... well if there is so much unhappiness, then bring it up formally and officially instead of whining about it here....

  8. #68
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Yes you dont know alot of things, but one thing you know is blind trust. Such are the people brought up today, to obey without question.

    On a balance of probabilities, I'll be more inclined to believe the TS who has a wife as a SG representative, than you who has not demonstrated any links whatsover.

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Well again those facts you got are from the TS. Do we know the reasoning for high carb lunch... no we dont. Do we really know if they did stop for KFC. Why? No we dont again. Yet we make a thousand and one assumptions.... but anyway is that not always the case here.

  9. #69
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Yeap, agree with ur second point, trust works both ways Some however believe only in blind unilateral trust in the powers that be.

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    I have a different opinion.

    If it's discipline, then there are 2 things I see there's room for improvements. Firstly, such discipline should already be educated and enforced during their routine trainings, not such high handed actions at departure check-ins.

    Secondly, if the coach can't trust the team (discipline or otherwise)... who will? What sort of psychological "messages" will the team be receiving?

  10. #70

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Yes you dont know alot of things, but one thing you know is blind trust. Such are the people brought up today, to obey without question.

    On a balance of probabilities, I'll be more inclined to believe the TS who has a wife as a SG representative, than you who has not demonstrated any links whatsover.
    I argee with what vince has said and have to say that it is alright to have faith in your coaches but blind faith is alittle too much considering their track record. keep in mind that i am not bashing anyone but i'm more inclined to believe ts and his wife since they have nothing to benefit from distorting the truth.
    Last edited by garou12; 10th December 2007 at 11:39 PM.

  11. #71

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Yes you dont know alot of things, but one thing you know is blind trust. Such are the people brought up today, to obey without question.

    On a balance of probabilities, I'll be more inclined to believe the TS who has a wife as a SG representative, than you who has not demonstrated any links whatsover.
    Well believe all you want, no one is stopping you and neither have I made any claims or claims to be linked to anyone. All I am saying is you all have no links to anyone too but yet you guys talk like you know it all.... and for your infor.... is the TS speaking objectively no one knows too... anyone who knows him besides his online identity? Nope I dont think so.... so its just a case of one TS making a complain and a whole lot of yes men following behind to join the crowd. But any way is that not the usual case here all the time and the same old usual suspects all the time too.... Anyway shall leave you all to your grousing and neverending conspiracy theories.....

    P.S To add talking about blind trust.... oh please pot calling kettle black.... are you not having blind trust in someone you dont know, come here make a statement and believe hook line and sinker that what ever he said is 100 percent as it was. Not saying he is lying but he might have left out some important facts.... and you just take his first thread as the holy grail....
    Last edited by aeskywan; 11th December 2007 at 12:24 AM.

  12. #72

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    looking at various comments from various people i can say if the team is a mixed of the people here...most likely the team won't be qualifying for the games.

    its not about trusting your coach blindly, or thinking that ur rights are breached.
    Its about having the same goal towards the excellence of the game. In a team, you train together, recieve the same treatments and if u enjoy...all will enjoy together and when u lose...u lose as a team and never to blame any individual.

    What the coach or manager does is for the best of the team. Some coach are open minded, while some are conservative. Different parents teach their children differently too thats why we all have different thinkings.
    If the manager finds the hand phone an avenue of distraction for the team, why can't he make the decision to keep them. He haf a superior to answer to too. If the team have shown good performance, i'm sure they will be rewarded with time to call home.

    Based on my experience, none of my friends have complained abt not having the freedom to call home, no R&R time during overseas training stints or competition, or not having the privilage like other non-athlete friends to eat junk food every single day...while the others are watching movies or out playing...we are all hard at training straight after school or work. We do wat our coach tell us to do...and if we find it unreasonable we ask for the rationale behind it.

    Team Singapore is indeed the entire singapore behind its athletes. And support doesn't come only during Competition but every single day. So if my friend or parents cannot give me the well wishing upon the confiscation of my phone, i know that they'll always be around for me as they've always been everyday. So why make a fuss just becoz i cannot get privilage of getting in closer proximity with them by a mere mobile phone.

    So before u say anyone who doesn't know anything or say u know everything...ask yourself WHAT do u know abt being in the team representing Singapore. What do you know?

  13. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    I did understand that the so called Team Singapore asked my friends to represent SG and told them to make their own uniforms, paying out of their own pockets.

    Can believe in Team Singapore. Just cant believe their management.
    Last edited by TMC; 11th December 2007 at 12:33 AM.

  14. #74

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    I did understand that the so called Team Singapore asked my friends to represent SG and told them to make their own uniforms, paying out of their own pockets.

    Can believe in Team Singapore. Just cant believe their management.
    hahahah no budget..no sponsers...very common...abit unfair in the sense the budget goes to the sports doing well, the rest of them dun even get peanuts...quite sad actually

  15. #75

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    To TS. Before I sign off, I wish to make it clear that in no way do I imply that you are lying. Rather that you might not have full facts and have made statements in a fit of anger. Think about it yourself rationally over the decision. You said yourself that there are some team members that are really young. So perhaps could the decision to keep the phones be a precaution that these young girls will be hogging their phones talking to their bfs or gfs late into the night.. And as your wife is part of a team wont a decision to keep all the phones as part of a team decision be done as a team and not a case of under 14 girls get their phones kept and those over 14 get to hold on to their phones. That would defeat the whole purpose of the world team right?

    Anyway I am just putting forth a possible scenario and in no way I represent and sporting body. I just find that its really silly that something like this becomes a bashing session and a show of how ugly we Singaporeans really are and also how selfish... especially with remarks like other countries problems are their own problems....

  16. #76

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    looking at various comments from various people i can say if the team is a mixed of the people here...most likely the team won't be qualifying for the games.

    its not about trusting your coach blindly, or thinking that ur rights are breached.
    Its about having the same goal towards the excellence of the game. In a team, you train together, recieve the same treatments and if u enjoy...all will enjoy together and when u lose...u lose as a team and never to blame any individual.

    What the coach or manager does is for the best of the team. Some coach are open minded, while some are conservative. Different parents teach their children differently too thats why we all have different thinkings.
    If the manager finds the hand phone an avenue of distraction for the team, why can't he make the decision to keep them. He haf a superior to answer to too. If the team have shown good performance, i'm sure they will be rewarded with time to call home.

    Based on my experience, none of my friends have complained abt not having the freedom to call home, no R&R time during overseas training stints or competition, or not having the privilage like other non-athlete friends to eat junk food every single day...while the others are watching movies or out playing...we are all hard at training straight after school or work. We do wat our coach tell us to do...and if we find it unreasonable we ask for the rationale behind it.

    Team Singapore is indeed the entire singapore behind its athletes. And support doesn't come only during Competition but every single day. So if my friend or parents cannot give me the well wishing upon the confiscation of my phone, i know that they'll always be around for me as they've always been everyday. So why make a fuss just becoz i cannot get privilage of getting in closer proximity with them by a mere mobile phone.

    So before u say anyone who doesn't know anything or say u know everything...ask yourself WHAT do u know abt being in the team representing Singapore. What do you know?
    ummm.. need to clarify one thing before I comment further.. you got your phone confiscated before while rep Sg sports in other country?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  17. #77

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    hahahah no budget..no sponsers...very common...abit unfair in the sense the budget goes to the sports doing well, the rest of them dun even get peanuts...quite sad actually
    very true... sad fact of life.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  18. #78

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    ummm.. need to clarify one thing before I comment further.. you got your phone confiscated before while rep Sg sports in other country?
    nope because in the briefing we were told we are to minimise on using the phone and if we are caught late at night on the phone or watsoever...the phone will get confiscated...so i didn't bother to bring mine

  19. #79

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    nope because in the briefing we were told we are to minimise on using the phone and if we are caught late at night on the phone or watsoever...the phone will get confiscated...so i didn't bother to bring mine
    So you see wat I mean, you were given an option and you exercised your decision. Furthermore reasonable rationale is given, break the rules and face the music.

    So in fact, while you may speak of your experience as an athlete representing sg. You however know/felt the mentioned team only as much as anyone of us here.

    Also, your rationale might not be applicable to everyone, unless you are telling me that after that mentioned brief, the entire team voluntarily left their handphones at home.. no exception.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  20. #80

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    So you see wat I mean, you were given an option and you exercised your decision. Furthermore reasonable rationale is given, break the rules and face the music.

    So in fact, while you may speak of your experience as an athlete representing sg. You however know/felt the mentioned team only as much as anyone of us here.

    Also, your rationale might not be applicable to everyone, unless you are telling me that after that mentioned brief, the entire team voluntarily left their handphones at home.. no exception.
    The other teams are my friends too...of coz i know how they feel...thats why sometimes it gets abit unfair if we are to compare the privileges different teams get ...if not we just share phone or buy ICC...ask the local athletes for help...we are all in the same athletes village so who dun haf phone borrow lor...it pays to make more friends...help one another...

    but frankly speaking the womens team always haf such problems one...the manager or coach tends to be over protective and boyfriends are whining...but my point is that there really shouldn't be such a big fuss abt the phone thing.

    if the TS's wife finds a need to call back...she can do so by asking the phone back with an appropriate reason. Otherwise i believe that she herself understood the intentions of the team manager and accepted his actions

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •