Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 85

Thread: SEA Games - Phones taken

  1. #21
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    back in the us whenever i stopped in an outlet that had the buffet i'd go on a kfc marathon haha
    hahahah...so you are a chicka-thon athelete

  2. #22

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    hahahah...so you are a chicka-thon athelete
    damn straight haha my japanese friend used to call me the legendary fried chicken eater

  3. #23

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Because they are not professional in their approach to competitive sports, they are management and bean counters first and foremost rather than athletes.
    yeap sounds like they dunnoe what they're doing at all.

  4. #24

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Congratulations on being selected as a national sportsman.

    The phone being taken away is too extreme. It's not as if while playing hockey they have the phone strapped on with a blue tooth head piece & give instructions to buy/sell to their stock broker at home.

    & the high carb meal on the plane is questionable. Even for the Stand Chart Marathon, the carbo loading was done at the pasta party the night before.

    KFC on the way too? They should try a Carl's jr burger instead - big & chunky!

    From what I know, athletes would only indulge in a bit of junk food during off-seasons & not during competitions.
    Last edited by foxwagon; 8th December 2007 at 03:40 PM.

  5. #25

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    seems like no one can take bluntness for what it is

    or humour.

    welcome to life. i must say that i'm very disappointed at the course this has taken.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Hello eastwest,

    My thoughts go out that your wife excells and you are both proud of her achievements !

    I imagine that in a case such as this, things are not always made clear as to why, but often it turns out that there was good reason.

    Though it is hard to understand why right now.

    I am shure that upon your wife's return you will have much to talk about and celebrate.

    This present concern will fade into the past.

    All the best
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  7. #27
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    I concur, it's very harsh to take away their handphones out of the blue to deprive the atheletes to call their loved one back here in Singapore.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    seems like no one can take bluntness for what it is

    or humour.

    welcome to life. i must say that i'm very disappointed at the course this has taken.
    If this is what life is supposed to be like, depriving loved ones of contact, then the Singapore coaches have a very warped sense of life.

    Give us a break nightmare, maybe go live a life and come back with something usefull other then bluntness which has no relevance. Whilst this was probably done with good intent, it hasnt been thought through, and others have explained the concequences of this on the performance of the team.

    What if eastwest got in trouble, or even worse, had to be admitted to hospital or something (touch wood) he couldnt even contact his wife, but dont worry, he gets to call another number where someone wont answer, well thats fantastic, look how good life is!

    One more thing, Humour? Your not funny! Maybe learn a trick or two from some of the really quality funny shows whilst your over in the UK. Might aswell get something out of your trip right?
    Last edited by wildstallion; 9th December 2007 at 03:10 PM.

  9. #29

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    If this is what life is supposed to be like, depriving loved ones of contact, then the Singapore coaches have a very warped sense of life.

    Give us a break nightmare, maybe go live a life and come back with something usefull other then bluntness which has no relevance. Whilst this was probably done with good intent, it hasnt been thought through, and others have explained the concequences of this on the performance of the team.

    What if eastwest got in trouble, or even worse, had to be admitted to hospital or something (touch wood) he couldnt even contact his wife, but dont worry, he gets to call another number where someone wont answer, well thats fantastic, look how good life is!

    One more thing, Humour? Your not funny! Maybe learn a trick or two from some of the really quality funny shows whilst your over in the UK. Might aswell get something out of your trip right?
    you are right, perhaps i did not really think it through before i posted

  10. #30
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    On hindsight, must follow what we do when we go reservist. Bring two mobile phones, one for show/confiscation, and the other for real use
    HEHEHE

  11. #31

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    On hindsight, must follow what we do when we go reservist. Bring two mobile phones, one for show/confiscation, and the other for real use
    HEHEHE
    hahaha good idea!

  12. #32

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    i have a feeling that it is just "media blackout..."

    singapore officials just do not want their athletics to spring surprise to them.
    with the common 3g video phone that almost all are carrying nowadays.
    a simple video clip uploaded to youtube will cause a lot of headache for singapore officials to explain why tan ah kow did this or tan ah mao did that.

    so what best way is to just confiscate the mobile phone of their athletics, can just simply lame it for the sake of security.

    i'm not sure about others sports whether they are allow mobile phone or not. anybody here has friends in the SEA games?

  13. #33

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Well, I have heard of the no-sex rule...but no phone?? Very interesting. You should check this up with the National Sports Council. However, I feel they will support the decision made by the individual sport's governing body. But it will be nice to hear an official explanation on why handphones were taken away from atheletes. Perhaps, you can check if this applies only to the hockey team or on all Singapore atheletes. That would be interesting to know.

  14. #34
    Senior Member melvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    On hindsight, must follow what we do when we go reservist. Bring two mobile phones, one for show/confiscation, and the other for real use
    HEHEHE
    Nowadays they dun just ask u to show they search your barang barang! Cars as well all will be searched nothing is spared even there is a long queue behind u....familiar... yeah.... just like goin through the custom!

  15. #35

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    I don't think it has anything to do with security. I just think the management want to be seen as being pro-active but they've gone about it in completely the wrong way.

    I still don't know if they won their first match yesterday afternoon so whereas I was one of their biggest supporters (I would turn up to watch most games in Singapore) I am completely in the dark. The official website for SEA games is so confusing I can't be bothered to try to find any results. Oh well, I did find out that there are only three teams playing hockey so Singapore guaranteed as least a bronze medal!

    I would be interested to hear whether the phone ban applied to any other sports or whether it's just hockey.

  16. #36

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    when i see the thread, i thought it is some kind of 'first hand' photo taken by phone in SEA games.."SEA games, phone taken' ha.

    Anyway, guess the best way is your wife's team make a feedback to the management that the policy isn't reasonable and being positive to their performance. If they insist, then the management may should have informed them in advanced.

    So .. have the competition over? any medal?

  17. #37

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Being selected to represent your country does not mean you have to surrender your basic rights to be able to keep in contact with your family. It's an honor to compete for your country, but on the other hand, your country must recipicate with gratitudes that best of the crop is competing on its behalf. Such barbaric action, confiscation of hand phones, is not a way to treat people. Please, no NS excuses guys, that reasoning does not hold water and has absoluting nothing to do with this situation.

    This is another "stupid" thing probably designed by some "scholar" who has problems running a hundred meters.

    What about the other atheletes who are competing in other events?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  18. #38

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    What I feel is that if isolation is part of the game, then it should be applied even in training and objectives/reasons be made known to the affected person.

    nightmare does have his point too... a clarification thru the 'hotline' or thru SSC would get better answers. Then we might debate the merits of the decision.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  19. #39

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    What I feel is that if isolation is part of the game, then it should be applied even in training and objectives/reasons be made known to the affected person.

    nightmare does have his point too... a clarification thru the 'hotline' or thru SSC would get better answers. Then we might debate the merits of the decision.
    I spoke with a Phys Ed teacher at the weekend who told me that this approach of complete team isolation was popular in the 80s but deemed to have a negative effect and is not used at all now by major competitive teams. When you see teams arriving for major football matches now, I've noticed that a lot of players are plugged into their iPods and quite distant from the rest of the team. I am sure they have their phones with them too!

    I am sure a lot of research has gone into this area but doubt whether the Singapore Hockey Federation has studied any of it.

    Anyone know whether they won yesterday or not? Despite six pages of coverage in Today, they do not have any result, even in a big list of results. I think the media is only interested in the sports that Singapore do well at.

  20. #40

    Default Re: SEA Games - Phones taken

    Quote Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
    I spoke with a Phys Ed teacher at the weekend who told me that this approach of complete team isolation was popular in the 80s but deemed to have a negative effect and is not used at all now by major competitive teams. When you see teams arriving for major football matches now, I've noticed that a lot of players are plugged into their iPods and quite distant from the rest of the team. I am sure they have their phones with them too!

    I am sure a lot of research has gone into this area but doubt whether the Singapore Hockey Federation has studied any of it.

    Anyone know whether they won yesterday or not? Despite six pages of coverage in Today, they do not have any result, even in a big list of results. I think the media is only interested in the sports that Singapore do well at.
    pretty much. try checking some of the foreign news presses.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •