Thread: Bteween Storms

Default Bteween Storms

Hi all,
    I'm new and this is my fist posting for advice on how to improve my skill. I toke the family to the Zoo yesterday only to be caught in between two storms. This picture was taken shortly after 2 hours of rain only to witness another storm building up. Hope to have feedback on composition and photography techniques. I composed the picture this way show the calm before storm but also to have the feel of helplessness before the storm.

I have resized and adjust the brightness level down a little but no cropping of the picture. Picture was taken with 300D, 50mm f1.8 lens, aperture f8, shutter 1/800, ISO800, WB auto.
    Like to have advice on what should be the setting and how to process it to bring out the picture better. Thanks.

Default Re: Bteween Storms

Try increasing the contrast and make it look more menacing...

as it is, there's nothing special to it. Just a dark tree and some dark skies.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Thanks Zac08. It does look kind of boring after you mentioned it. Will practise and shoot more to improve.

I don't see a storm building up.

had i were you, i would decrease the ISO setting. And following wat you said abt storms come rolling in soon. The timing would be perfect to capture some powerful shots.
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

Zoom in more, get rid of the trees, very distracting! More to the sky and the storm.

This is my 3rd look at the picture. My first impression of the picture was that I could not see a storm brewing. My 3rd look is pretty much the same. I could not detect any sense of the building up of a storm. Sorry....

You said you wanted to "composed the picture this way show the calm before storm but also to have the feel of helplessness before the storm."

My question is---how to portray 'calm before a storm' or 'impending helplessness'. I have attempted something like that before but not succeeded. I think it is a very difficult subject/theme.

But do not give up. Problem is not with picture, but with how do one convey a sense of the storm in a visual image. Some have done it successfully with close-up images of palm leaves lashing in the rain, or trees swaying to breaking point.