Thread: Shooting With Flash

Default Shooting With Flash

Hi just got my first flash last night a Canon Speedlight 580EXII, does anyone have tips on usage? Here is what I found:

On full Auto (green zone) works fine just like a high power point and push.

ISO for following: 800
    On P mode, also works OK allowing for a little more control.

On Av very difficult. It seems the camera still exposes for the ambient light, so flash fires but the shutter stays open for quite a while (depending on level ambient light)
    If I set flash exposure by pressing the FELock ( * on my EOS 400D) then it seems to be a bit better.

On TV can set a shutter speed (indoors) of around 1/60 1/80 works Ok, aperture sets about f5.8

On M seems best typically around an F5.6 and shutter as above, but does allow my to vary apature a stop or so with acceptable results.

Any hints on how to get best exposure, I have 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8.

The zoom setting only works when firing flash straight on, so when bouncing I guess its just a matter of trail and error to get to know how the results will turn out?

Thanks!
    In every photograph there are at least two people, the viewer and the photographer. (Ansel Adams)

Default Re: Shooting With Flash

its impossible for people to tell u the correct exposure setting unless they are there. I guess u have to read and practise more on your basic on flash already.

Yeah you're right, every situation is different and would require a different exposure. Just thought people may have had similar indoor flash experiences which i could learn from.

I will keep practicing but I'm not uderstanding why the camera seems to be exposing for ambient light when on Av mode. I thought that the camera send out a pre flash (though almost imperceptable) to gauge exposure then adjust shutter speed accordingly - allowing for shorter shutter (e.g 1/60 or 1/80 etc)?

Just a newbie with lots to learn! thanks for reading and dropping me a reply!

Quote Originally Posted by conquer500 View Post
    its impossible for people to tell u the correct exposure setting unless they are there. I guess u have to read and practise more on your basic on flash already.
    In every photograph there are at least two people, the viewer and the photographer. (Ansel Adams)

am using a 420ex. in AV mode, i choose high speed sync flash which will automatically set the shutter speed to 1/200s. E-TTL will adjust the flash power necessary. i think you can just do the selection on the flash itself. cheerz.

Thanks for the info below, I went off and did a bit or research on the high speed sync flash: the following is great artice on Flash Photography with Canon. I think a lot will apply to other brands - it's great for those of us learning the ropes.

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman1979 View Post
    am using a 420ex. in AV mode, i choose high speed sync flash which will automatically set the shutter speed to 1/200s. E-TTL will adjust the flash power necessary. i think you can just do the selection on the flash itself. cheerz.

Flash photography is fun and interesting
    Try this
    Shoot an object and use the following setups:
    - Flash head direct
    - Flash head upward , bounce off ceiling
    - Flash head upward with bounce card
    - Flash head with diffuser, direct
    - Flash head with diffuser, upward
    Compare the effect.

Try special effect:
    - use slow shutter speed like 1/5sec to 1/10sec, turn on 2nd curtain sync , shoot panning shots of running kids or moving object
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap