View Poll Results: Do you think thumbnails of your copyrighted work is fair use in other places?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, why not?

2 14.29%
  • No! strictly no

5 35.71%
  • Maybe..this is grey area.

6 42.86%
  • I don't care

1 7.14%

Thread: Using Thumbnails of Copyrighted Images is Fair Use

Default Using Thumbnails of Copyrighted Images is Fair Use

http://www.labnol.org/internet/pictu...fair-use/1882/
    excerpted
    'Now a court has also said that using thumbnail-sized images of pictures does not constitute infringement, even when the images are copyrighted.

This seems a fairly logical conclusion but how small can a a thumbnail image be to be considered as fair use? '
    how do you feel about it?

Default Re: Using Thumbnails of Copyrighted Images is Fair Use

I believe this is but a short summary of the decision.

The intent and usage of those thumbnails should be a major consideration too.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

yup CYRN is correct, the size of the images has nothing very little if any relevance to the dispute over fair use under US copyright law. In this case, i think the dispute would lie in whether Google's search results can be considered as an informative use of the images or if google is profiteering off the use of these thumbnail images. This delves into very grey areas as there are still not many precedent cases pertaining to the function of search engines in society.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    I believe this is but a short summary of the decision.

The intent and usage of those thumbnails should be a major consideration too.
    hmmm if were to blog about someone's photos which i feel is nice and i put in a thumbnail as preview?
    (i dun do that I usually jus link the page and ask for permission then put the photos on my blog)

though copying might be a form of praise here but i think ppl will be riled to see their images used without permission..

A thumbnail should be the size of a....thumbnail of course.
    Small enough not to harm the possible market the original product might have.
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

i wouldnt bother abt copyright nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    hmmm if were to blog about someone's photos which i feel is nice and i put in a thumbnail as preview?
    (i dun do that I usually jus link the page and ask for permission then put the photos on my blog)

though copying might be a form of praise here but i think ppl will be riled to see their images used without permission..
    If you were to take a reduced size of someone's photo, and blog about it (ie review of it) you are serving a transformative purpose which is in effect fair use.
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post

The fact that hotlink protection is disabled, how does one protect the image that is online?

If you value you photo that much, the you should invest in electronic copyright protection system.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.