Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leica Cameras

Default Re: Leica Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    its the flexibility really. hassy?
    You will be surprised how a Hasselblad is actually quite flexible to use. It is not as chunky as the Canon EOS 1Ds Mk3 or a Nikon D3.

mmmm ... sound reasonable i think. brand new more than 3k?
    I don't think you'll see a lot of brand new Leica film cameras these days.

Is it true ...

I was told some time back by a European camera lover that Leica does not own their factory anymore, and that it was bought over by the Japanese (Konica-Minolta), and that only their industrial division were still under their ownership and manufacturing/QC control?

Could anyone in the know share?

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    You will be surprised how a Hasselblad is actually quite flexible to use. It is not as chunky as the Canon EOS 1Ds Mk3 or a Nikon D3.
    the price would probably break the bank.

I don't think you'll see a lot of brand new Leica film cameras these days.
    really? no demand?

Leica make very good M-series lenses. For me, that is the only strong reason for Leica system.

yeah. i know but i sort of like how u can strap on a digital back on the R9 and use it as a dslr too. although at the price, most ppl will get a D3 or 1D Mk III.
    you do realize that the digital back for the R9 is no longer in production... no demand...

its the flexibility really. hassy?
    sure... although these days i dream of the Rollei Hy6...

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Is it true ...

I was told some time back by a European camera lover that Leica does not own their factory anymore, and that it was bought over by the Japanese (Konica-Minolta), and that only their industrial division were still under their ownership and manufacturing/QC control?

Hassey is owned by Shriro, a China based company, and the their current H-series bodies and cameras are produced by Fujifilm of Japan... anyone complain about their quality?

Blad has gone to the Chinese?

I wasn't moaning about quality, just asking a question.

the price would probably break the bank.
    When the Nikon D3X launches, you will notice that it is probably better value to get a Hasselblad H-series.

really? no demand?
    Sales are slow in Singapore. The place to buy Leica film bodies now - either Shanghai or Beijing, China.

oh really? i am not a MF user. u referring to the digital or film hassy? i thought the price was astronomical.

Sales are slow in Singapore. The place to buy Leica film bodies now - either Shanghai or Beijing, China.
    mmmm ... thanks for the pointer. shld start saving up in case i really go into film cos maybe going china early next yr.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    you do realize that the digital back for the R9 is no longer in production... no demand...

sure... although these days i dream of the Rollei Hy6...

Hassey is owned by Shriro, a China based company, and the their current H-series bodies and cameras are produced by Fujifilm of Japan... anyone complain about their quality?
    oh! thats quite disapppointing. but then quite expected as well.

oh really? i am not a MF user. u referring to the digital or film hassy? i thought the price was astronomical.
    Hasselblad 'H-series' digital cameras.

the price doesnt justify a enthusiast to invest in right?

Why the question? You want a Leica?

Personally, after handling a M4-2 and a M2, a Leica is a great camera, but not incredible. I find a Bessa a better deal to buy new which I use crappy Russian lenses on it, to good effect. And of course, my Minolta Autocord beats both with it's scratched up rokkor lenses delivering better quality pictures then any Leica or 35mm digital cameras.

Then again, I have to give it to Leica to keep chugging on producing world class lenses and bodies for so many years. It's lenses are world class, easily competiting with anything Nikon, Canon or any other brand lenses.

Samuel

i am considering trying my hand at using film. after hearing so much abt leicas, it would be nice to own one eventually.

but having said that, i think the transition for a digital user like me might be tough.

Is it true ...

According to Wikipedia, Leica is now three companies: Leica Camera AG, Leica Geosystems AG and Leica Microsystems GmbH. It was a partnership between Leica in Germany, a Swiss and a Swedish companies.

i am considering trying my hand at using film. after hearing so much abt leicas, it would be nice to own one eventually.

but having said that, i think the transition for a digital user like me might be tough.
    Mine was the other way round. I was an old-schooler who started photography on film three decades ago. I have gone through several camera systems, namely Rollei, Mamiya, Hasselblad and Sinar. I switched to fully-digital in 2001. It was tough for me to have to re-learn photography in a different perspective.
    Last edited by photobum; 5th December 2007 at 05:03 PM.

Blad has gone to the Chinese?

I wasn't moaning about quality, just asking a question.
    actually the investment and injection of capital from Shriro into the company did Hassey a world of good, along with synergy with its sister company Imacon, also owned by Shriro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast