Thread: be careful where you buy your camera equipments

Default be careful where you buy your camera equipments

this is just a kinda reminder for those who are going to buy camera accessories in peninsula plaza.

i kinda got cheated, thats what i feel at least.
    bought camera accessories from peninsula plaza recently from a shop
    (shall not reveal the shop's name due to respect).

told me the price without GST and didn't inform me.
    The price he offered me was the same from other shops including GST, but his was without GST and i didn't know about it.

after the payment i paid an extra of about $20...
    which i could have saved had i purchased from other shops.

just a kind reminder please be careful and calculate the total amount before paying.

Default Re: be careful where you buy your camera equipments

Er. You respect the shop that cheated you?

Unless it's Cathay Photo, every forumer in here will tell you not to buy from Peninsula Plaza. Why didn't you do your research before buying?
    Alpha

i think its due to your oversight. u shld have asked properly before committing. don't expect the shop to give u a breakdown. that is the standard of sg's retail service.

you should have done your research first before buying man. just search the forums and you will know where to go to get your camera at a good price with honest people selling them

Arrow Re: be careful where you buy your camera equipments

You open a new Clubsnap account then you don't want to reveal the name here out of respect for the company who you claimed have cheated you because they never quoted the GST.

a learnt a lot from this incident...
    but yeah i do have some faults too...gotta be more careful next time...

you can mention the shop name, nothing wrong with that, is only sharing your shopping experience, unless you are not telling the whole story.

anyway, whoever read it still have to use own judgement to decide where to purchase camera equipment from any shop.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Think the GST thingy is pretty standard.

I know of this other trick that many shops like to use.
    1. quote you a really cheap price on the item you are asking for (make you think the shop's price is reasonable)
    2. then tell you they don't have stock and recommend a similiar item, usually cheaper and they claim better.

The real deal is, this other item they recommended is actually much cheaper outside...

ARg another soul never do the homework.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by wh1te7ig3r View Post
    this is just a kinda reminder for those who are going to buy camera accessories in peninsula plaza.

i kinda got cheated, thats what i feel at least.
    bought camera accessories from peninsula plaza recently from a shop
    (shall not reveal the shop's name due to respect).

told me the price without GST and didn't inform me.
    The price he offered me was the same from other shops including GST, but his was without GST and i didn't know about it.

after the payment i paid an extra of about $20...
    which i could have saved had i purchased from other shops.

just a kind reminder please be careful and calculate the total amount before paying.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    You open a new Clubsnap account then you don't want to reveal the name here out of respect for the company who you claimed have cheated you because they never quoted the GST.
    Exactly how I felt. You are one confusing soul.

On one hand, you feel cheated, taken advantage of, but on the other, he feel you should respect the shop that cheated you?

And why do you need to open a new account to account for this incident?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

A lot of people 'don't do their homework' not because they are too lazy to. It's simply because they never knew there was, in fact, any homework to be done.

I see numerous threads by the un-informed trying to share their unpleasant shopping experiences; I never fail to see that in the same thread, people would be asking the person who's sharing the experience to assume the blame for having to do 'homework' in advance.

The fact for fair market practice is this:
    There's a need for retailers to be specific on whether their list price includes GST or do not.
    There's a need for retailers to stop the practice of differential pricing, or at least whimsical pricing.

The consumer watchdog is just a toothless and not even very barky dog whom Gawd knows what they're being paid for. Or what kind of work they actually do. So consumers don't have a choice, but have to be savvy on their own. But this does not make it the sole responsibility for fair trade to rest solely on the consumer.

I hear so much about 'respectable' shops in CS. Cathay? Please. I walked in on 2 different occasions and get a difference of $100 in price quote for a $750 lens. Or was it supposed to be $650. I had to remind the sales person I used to buy from at AP that I'm a returning customer who knows the prices; when he tried to charge me $50 for a third party BP 511 compatible. Which I eventually purchased for $18 from him.

But is it reALLY the fault of the un-informed, who doesn't surf CS, or never heard of the net when he's 'cheated'? Is it his sole responsibility? Must it be part of the SOP for all camera buyers to do their homework in CS? What if they've never heard of CS?

Please, give the people who share their experiences a break. And oh, please go easy on promoting these 'reputable' shops as 'reputable' because you're not going to be the one to bear the consequences. Or at least attach the recommendation with other important information (ask for GST price, whether it's warrantied, grey/non-grey, check for multiple quotes).... Although I still don't see why it must it be the sole-responsibility of the consumer.

shinken

caveat emptor.

PLBTV

Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    A lot of people 'don't do their homework' not because they are too lazy to. It's simply because they never knew there was, in fact, any homework to be done.
    Totally agree with shinken. There will always be newbie in any field or incident. They, in the first place, was never aware that there is such "homework" that needs to be done. It's like you just happened to step into to new place and got lost. Is the person at fault for not doing his "homework" every single time he gets out of his home to avoid getting lost??

As I was reading this thread I remember a long time ago when GST first started. GST before and after price have to be made known to consumer, but i might be wrong. So, i did a search just awhile ago just to double check and this is what i found.

Quote from the IRAS GST Guide for Retailers (Page 9) :

4.3 Price Display

4.3.1 Is it mandatory to display price tags which are inclusive of GST?

Yes, all prices displayed, advertised, published or quoted by a taxable person for any
    supply of goods or services should be inclusive of GST, unless prior approval has been
    sought from the Comptroller of GST to do otherwise.

hmmm.......looks like someone is not following Comptroller of GST guidelines....or have they...

Download and read the whole guide if you have the time http://www.iras.gov.sg/ESVPortal/res...eretailers.pdf
    Last edited by bartman; 5th December 2007 at 05:32 PM.

chill guys, anyway don't get the wrong idea. i did not create this account just to talk about this incident.
    i'm using this account for sometime, but i don't post most of the time.

cheers,

Blog Entries

I empathize with you and appreciate your post to warning CS members to be wary.

However,

1. Without mentioning the particular shop but just "camera accessories in peninsula plaza" it actually does not help at all, cos it can happen anywhere not only PP or confine to only camera shops. At the same time it also is not fair to the fair trade retailers there.

2. You can also stop the transaction and walk away instead carrying on the transaction. As a consumer you can don't buy if the price is not right, why pay and then regret.

To me, the lesson for CS members here is

1. Always ask the retailer if the price includes GST (that's what I usually do)

2. You have the right not to carry on the transaction if the price is not to you liking.

The lesson here is not "be wary of buying camera accessories in peninsula plaza" because it does not help.

I will not debate on the part of "checking or doing homework before buying etc" as it is totally out of context here.

This thread is closed as it has served its purpose and will lead to nowhere.