View Poll Results: would you go to work if you caught the flu?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 30.77%
  • No, would take MC

36 69.23%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would you go to work if you have the flu?

Default would you go to work if you have the flu?

would you go to work if you have the flu? just curious. not the really serious kind, ie bedridden but rather able to walk, work, but tired, sneezing, coughing, sniffing a LOT and OBVIOUSLY CONTAGIOUS.

just curious.

Default Re: would you go to work if you have the flu?

i have to... no matter how sick i am, i have to report to work...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

why?

Is it the culture, ie boss also don't take MC? I have always thought about it rationally, it should be better for the company if the sick guy stays at home and spares his colleagues. But people like to look indispensible or hardworking, sick die die also must work.....

In the end you can see the flu bug spreading around the dept....

If you are sick, report sick and rest at home.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    why?

Is it the culture, ie boss also don't take MC? I have always thought about it rationally, it should be better for the company if the sick guy stays at home and spares his colleagues. But people like to look indispensible or hardworking, sick die die also must work.....

In the end you can see the flu bug spreading around the dept....
    Well, small company mah, if i not there, nobody will work... lol...

its not look indispensible, its being indispensible looked...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Self-employed so sometimes have no choice. However, if I have a shoot that involves babies or young kids I would cancel if possible.

would you go to work if you have the flu? just curious. not the really serious kind, ie bedridden but rather able to walk, work, but tired, sneezing, coughing, sniffing a LOT and OBVIOUSLY CONTAGIOUS.

just curious.
    If you really need to report to work, PLEASE kindly wear a surgical mask wherever you go (including MRT), avoid close contact with colleagues, ensure proper disposal of your tissue papers.

no , for the sake of every 1's health n their job security, its better that the rest are fit for the job . then to get sick

i'll feel very scared, unsecure and bothered if you sit beside me in the office and keep on sneezing, sniffing, showing flu synthrom

For me, because of my kids, I will at least see the doctor for medication if I die die have to report for work. But most of the time I would rather take MC and recover as fast as possible in case my flu bug spread to my kids.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Depending on how serious. But most like will show up at the office... too much work to do... cannot afford to take a day off (unplanned)...

Its the work culture here and in most Asian countries. I believe someone posted recently a poll on if one would take long weekend by taking leave on Friday after a PH on Thursday. Response was that some offices would frown on it as the employee being lazy.

Sad to say, it's true that coming in despite being sad and dying is seen as a exemplary example and a sign that the employee is dedicated to his or her work. Few bosses think of it as "if you are sick, you better stay home and dont spread it around" Rather it is "If you fall sick, means you are physically weak and its your fault and you should do something about your health" and if the rest are healthy, you shouldn't fall sick.

If you fall sick and take MC. tongues will wag that one is lazing at home etc etc.... that someone has to cover for you when you are sick etc etc.

Finally when it comes to your evaluation, the guy who comes in to work despite sick till he is dying will be praised as being dedicated and a reliable fellow. While the one who decided to take the MC will be labelled as being absent from work.

Our work culture has a long way from being pro employee and pro family. At moment it is still pro company.

No, unless I have an anal boss, or it's extremly critical that I go in for a few hours. I would only be exposing the entire company to my viruses, possibly causing further and prolonged down-time for others.

I know of one Chinese boss who has a very strict office policy - if you have fever or flu, you're not allowd to step into the office for TWO weeks> If there's an urgent need, you can work from home via electronic means. It's a small office he runs with about 3 or 4 FT employees.

just curious.
    if you must work despite the flu, at the very least please wear a mask. and dispose off your mucus properly. i've already caught a very bad flu from a colleague this year twice because he refused to see the doctor, refused to get medicine and sneeze and cough into people. and even asked to share drinks

Eikin, I know what you mean!

Many folks here think it's some sort of 'taboo' to wear a mask, or that they would look strange. The only time I can ever recall seeing SOME people wear masks in public, and many times, improperly, was during the height of the SARS outbreak but I'm sure that was not because they had other people's welfare in mind, but their own.

Blog Entries

i'm having flu.. and at work. sad fact of life.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

NOBODY in singapore wear mask one lah.... People will think you have sars or something if you wear masks.

I think is the very common in Singapore, going to work even when you are sick. I see it in my wife's workplace, I see it in my workplace. How come the poll so skewed one?

Why do bosses still think it is good to be seen going to work even when one is sick? It is just totally illogical especially after I see my colleagues going down one after another. Except me cuz I siam very far... but I think it is only a matter of time before it gets me....
    Last edited by wind30; 4th December 2007 at 01:33 PM.

NOBODY in singapore wear mask one lah.... People will think you have sars or something if you wear masks.

I think is the very common in Singapore, going to work even when you are sick. I see it in my wife's workplace, I see it in my workplace. How come the poll so skewed one?

Why do bosses still think it is good to be seen going to work even when one is sick? It is just totally illogical especially after I see my colleagues going down one after another. Except me cuz I siam very far... but I think it is only a matter of time before it gets me....
    Poll show what they want, reality is the direct opposite of the utopia...

i guess many are afraid to lose their jobs, so they endured to work under illness to please bosses.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 4th December 2007 at 01:49 PM.

I have one principle which I must adhere to:
    Don't be a hero; it's not worth dying for your organisation.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast