Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293437383940414449 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVERPOOL F.C. Season XVI - TORRES!!!!

Default Re: LIVERPOOL F.C. Season XVI - TORRES!!!!

Let's get ready to GUESS GUESS GUESS!

Correct Score Prediction = 3points!

Correct 1st Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Correct Last Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Hat-Trick Hero Perfect Guess Guess Guess! = 5points!

so in any game, the max point a participant can net is a total of 10points.

Sorting Out the Grey Areas.

1). in the event of 1-0 end result, the 1st scorer will be taken as the last scorer even though the participant might haf anticipated 2-0 or 22-0 and haf listed someone else as the last scorer.

2). the prediction is good till the Final Whistle, which includes Extra-time but not Penalty Shootout.

Current standings:

1) Cheesecake 17 points
    2) roadrunner 14 points
    3) jfoo 12 points
    4) airfins 9 points
    5) dfstan 8 points
    6) zhapchit 8 points
    7) grumpy 7 points
    8) kelccm 7 points
    9) blazer_works 6 points
    10) xen0275 4 points
    11) estronutz 3 points
    12) roDz 3 points
    13). canew 3 point
    14). nemesis32 2 points
    15). mpenza 1 point
    16). dnd 1 point

LIVERPOOL vs. manu

Anfield
    Sunday, 16 December
    Kick-off: 1330 GMT

1). 2-0 LIVERPOOL WIN! (Torres, Torres) cheesecake
    2). 4-0 LIVERPOOL WIN! (Torres, Gerrard, Torres, Torres) parchiao
    3). 3-0 LIVERPOOL WIN! (Torres, Gerrard) roadrunner
    4). 3-1 Liverpool win !!! (gerrard, Torres) dfstan
    5). 5-1 LIVERPOOL WIN! (Stevie G, Torres) zhapchit
    6). 3-0 LIVERPOOL WIN! (Torres, Torres) kelccm
    7). 3-1 LIVERPOOL WIN! (Torres, Gerrard) airfins
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

L ... I ... V ...
    E ... R ... P ...
    Double-O L
    Liverpool FC !!!

LIVERPOOL
    IS
    VERY
    ~ HOT ~

Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

RAFA SEEKS DEFENSIVE REINFORCEMENT

Rafael Benitez says Liverpool will try to sign a centre-back during the January transfer window.

The Reds pinned all their summer hopes on bringing in Gabriel Heinze from Manchester United, but that high-profile move was scuppered when a Premier League tribunal ruled against it. He eventually joined Real Madrid.

And with Dane Daniel Agger still sidelined by a foot injury, Benitez plans to strengthen his defence next month.

He said: "We have had a problem at centre-back because we could not close the signing of Gabriel Heinze.

"Then Agger got injured. This has forced us to play with Sami Hyypia who is 34 and Jamie Carragher in every game.

"You are looking at two matches per week and with the intensity that the game is played here, it is not easy for them to do it.

"Our idea is to bring in a centre-back, to provide balance to the team in this position."

The Reds have been recently linked with a move for AC Milan's Georgian stopper Kakha Kaladze.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

NO GUARANTEES FOR BENITEZ

Rafa Benitez is likely to offer an olive branch to Liverpool's American owners - but it still might not be enough to secure his long term future at Anfield.

Benitez is due to meet with Tom Hicks and George Gillet after of the big game against Manchester United on Sunday, to clear up the 'misunderstanding' over the club's transfer policy in the January transfer window.

The Times reports that the Spaniard is expected to at first offer an apology for his belligerent stance, in which he claimed the Americans 'didn't understand' the European transfer system.

However, Benitez will still press for control of Liverpool's transfer policy, and The Daily Mirror claims is expected to demand that the club sign Javier Mascherano on a permanent basis in January.

The Argentinian midfielder would cost around 17million, but the Americans would prefer to make the signing at the end of the season when the club's financial details are clear.

While this initial conciliatory stance is likely to secure Benitez's position in the short term, his insistance that he be in charge of the Anfield purse strings when it comes to signings (the Americans would reportedly prefer chief executive Rick Parry to take that role) may lead to trouble further down the line.

Benitez himself seems optimistic that a truce can be reached:

"I'm the manager, so I manage," he said. "But it's not a big problem. They will be on my Christmas card list. I am sure I will be on theirs also."

Xabi in contention for United clash

Xabi Alonso is set to return to the Liverpool squad for Sunday's visit of Manchester United after a two-month absence with a metatarsal injury. Alonso, 26, could face the Premier League champions at Anfield following a frustrating start to the season.

The Spain midfielder has featured in only six top-flight games and been out of action since the Arsenal match in October.

Steve Finnan is doubtful because of a calf problem while Daniel Agger remains sidelined with a foot injury.

Kick-off is at 1.30pm.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Kewell, Gerrard, Mascherano, Benayoun, Alonso, Kuyt, Torres, Aurelio, Babel, Crouch, Finnan, Hobbs, Itandje, Leiva, Voronin, Sissoko.

RAFA PLAYS DOWN UNITED CLASH

Liverpool 8/5, Draw 15/8, Man Utd 2/1

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez insists it is too early in the season to talk up the clash against Manchester United on Sunday.

Benitez claims the significant fixtures take place towards the end of the season, not as Christmas approaches.

The Anfield showdown comes on the back of a superb 4-0 victory against Marseille in France - a match Liverpool had to win to progress to the final 16 of the Champions League.

This week had been billed as one of the most vital in the club's season, especially as Benitez is due to have talks with co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks at the weekend.

However the shrewd Spanish coach has a different perspective.

"Of course this is an important week when you consider we meet Manchester United after the game in Marseille," he said.

"But playing for the title in April would more important than this match.

"Maybe this game against United will be more important for confidence than anything else.

"In terms in points were are in December and we all know Christmas is a vital time with all the matches."

Benitez believes there is little to choose between the old rivals from opposite ends of the East Lancs Road.

However, he is hoping they can make home advantage count when Sir Alex Ferguson's side come calling.

Benitez said: "It is so close the line between the two teams. Our statistics in these matches might not be the best but in every game it has been really tight.

"We are in good shape after winning in Marseille. When you play well, score four goals on a difficult away ground, everyone is happy.

"It is important to win every game but especially when you are at home.

"Considering the rivalry between the clubs we want to beat United. It will be a special game."

Benitez acknowledges the contribution to the English game of his opposite number Ferguson, who has been in charge at Old Trafford for 21 years.

"It is difficult to be in a job in Spain more than three years," he added.

"The culture here is different as the manager is someone people respect. So it is a great achievement (by Ferguson).

"United are a top side with a lot of quality and we have a lot of respect for them.

"When two teams are always in top of table the rivalry increases every year. We know in this match we have to focus and concentrate all the way through."

With Fernando Torres bedding in well following his 26.5million move from Atletico Madrid, Benitez has good reason to be cheerful.

Torres took his tally to 12 goals with a wonderful solo effort in midweek and looks a natural finisher.

Benitez said: "We are very happy with him, he has a very good attitude.

"I think that he is very happy at Liverpool and being part of the team. The fans love him a lot."

Xabi Alonso is set to return to the squad against United after a two-month absence with a metatarsal injury.

The Spain midfielder has featured in only six Barclays Premier League games and been out of action since the Arsenal match in October.

Steve Finnan is doubtful because of a calf problem while Daniel Agger remains sidelined with a foot injury.

MASCHERANO`S READY FOR ANFIELD CLASH

Javier Mascherano is confident he will be fit to face Manchester United at Anfield on Sunday.

Liverpool's Argentina midfielder looked in some discomfort during the 4-0 Champions League victory against Marseille in midweek.

However he insists there is little to be concerned about.

"I got a kick but I think it's nothing and I should be okay to face Manchester United," he said.

Mascherano admits he is excited at the prospect of going head to head with Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

"We're close to the top so we need to win on Sunday to get even closer plus it's very important for our fans that we get a victory," he told UEFA's website.

"Liverpool against United is a massive game, maybe the biggest there is in England, so we have to start preparing for it.

"We know we can get a victory and and our confidence is obviously high as well.

"When you win 4-0 away it's very good for the team and now we need a repeat of this performance on Sunday."

Xabi Alonso is set to return to the squad after a two-month absence with a metatarsal injury.

The Spain midfielder has featured in only six Premier League games and been out of action since the Arsenal match in October.

Meanwhile manager Rafael Benitez believes FIFA should consider re-scheduling the date of the African Nations Cup.

While Benitez will lose only one senior player - Mali midfielder Mohamed Sissoko - he is concerned that the tournament runs during January and February.

He said: "They must try to find a proper schedule for all the clubs and organise things in a different way."

A number of English sides will lose players during the three-week competition and Benitez said: "I would like to have an advantage but I do not know. Some teams might sign five or six players."

On whether the Nations Cup would prevent him employing many African players, he said: "We try to sign the best players and the best are normally internationals.

"You cannot analyse a situation like this. You sign someone for four or five years, not six weeks."

Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post

1). in the event of 1-0 end result, the 1st scorer will be taken as the last scorer even though the participant might haf anticipated 2-0 or 22-0 and haf listed someone else as the last scorer.

2). the prediction is good till the Final Whistle, which includes Extra-time but not Penalty Shootout.

Current standings:

1) Cheesecake 17 points
    2) roadrunner 14 points
    3) jfoo 12 points
    4) airfins 9 points
    5) dfstan 8 points
    6) zhapchit 8 points
    7) grumpy 7 points
    8) kelccm 7 points
    9) blazer_works 6 points
    10) xen0275 4 points
    11) estronutz 3 points
    12) roDz 3 points
    13). canew 3 point
    14). nemesis32 2 points
    15). mpenza 1 point
    16). dnd 1 point

LIVERPOOL vs. manu

Anfield
    Sunday, 16 December

lai lai lai, where is rodz???? hehehe

as expected... fatty cup'o'jello is the new ENGLAND GAFFER!!

Capello named new England manager

Fabio Capello has been confirmed as the new England manager after the details of his contract were finalised with the Football Association.

The Italian signed a four-and-a-half year deal - reportedly worth 6m a year, with an opt out after 2010.

Capello, 61, will be unveiled at a news conference at 1300 GMT on Monday before taking up the role on 7 January.

His backroom staff is all-Italian but he is to consider how to integrate an English presence into the set-up.

"Fabio is very, very open and happy to include an English coach - or English coaches - within his staff," said FA director of communications Adrian Bevington.

"The key point is that that is something we don't have to rush into. People should not get too hung up on the fact there is no English coach on the staff at the moment."

England Under-21 coach Stuart Pearce was among those seen arriving at the FA's headquarters in Soho Square, London, on Friday.

Alan Shearer, Tony Adams and David Platt have also been linked with a role in Capello's team.

The Italian's trusted aide Franco Baldini, his sporting director at Roma and Real Madrid, is included in the backroom staff along with veteran assistant coach Italo Galbiati, goalkeeping coach Franco Tancredi, and fitness coach Massimo Neri.

The FA revealed Capello was the number one choice and was the only man to be formally interviewed for the post, which became vacant when Steve McClaren was sacked on 22 November.

"Fabio is a winner. His record over the last two decades speaks for itself," said FA chief executive Brian Barwick.

"At every club he has managed, Fabio has won the league title and Sir Trevor Brooking and I were left in no doubt of his passion and commitment to bring that success to the England team."

Capello's first game in charge will be the friendly against Switzerland at Wembley on 6 February.

With England failing to qualify for Euro 2008, his first competitive game will be a World Cup qualifier on 6 September.

His contract was finalised on Friday.

The Italian met Barwick and Brooking, the FA's director of football, on Wednesday before his appointment was "ratified unanimously" by the FA board on Thursday.

"Fabio Capello is widely recognised as one of the world's finest coaches," said Brooking.

"He has achieved huge success wherever he has worked and has the respect of everyone in football."

McClaren, who spent just 18 months in charge, hopes Capello succeeds as England boss.

"It goes without saying that I wish my successor all the very best," McClaren said.

"I've always said and still maintain we have an excellent group of players. I'm convinced they'll do the country proud in due course.

"It was a great honour for me to mange England and I'm sure Fabio will share the same sentiments."

Capello expressed his interest in the England job just days after McClaren's departure in November, describing it as a "beautiful challenge".

He has a hugely impressive CV and comes with the backing of such football luminaries as Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Gianfranco Zola and Clarence Seedorf.

The Italian has picked up silverware with all four clubs - AC Milan, Real Madrid, Roma and Juventus - he has been in charge of.

He has guided teams to nine league championships in 16 years as a coach, although Juventus were stripped of the 2005 and 2006 titles because of the club's involvement in a match-fixing scandal.

He also won the Champions League with Milan in 1994 and was an accomplished player, winning 32 caps for Italy.

FABIO CAPELLO FACTFILE
    1. 1946: Born in San Canzian d'Isonzo, Gorizia, Italy
    2. 1964: Makes pro debut for Ferrara side SPAL
    3. 1973: Scores as Italy beat England at Wembley for first time
    4. 1991: Appointed head coach of AC Milan
    5. 1992: Wins first of four Italian league titles with Milan
    6. 1994: Milan beat Barcelona 4-0 in European Cup final
    7. 1997: Wins Spanish league with Real Madrid
    8. 2001: Guides Roma to their first Scudetto for 18 years
    9. 2004: Wins Scudetto in first season with Juventus
    10. 2007: Guides Real to La Liga during his second spell

and i can't belif that english gaffers such as paul ince, steve coppel n gareth southgate are KAUPEHING that the new England Gaffer is not an englishman!

welcome to the world of F.T, boys.

get over it! GOOD N PROMISING ENGLISH gaffers are few n far in between. of cos, u can always count on Fat Sam.

Member/Tangshooter

Current standings:

1) Cheesecake 17 points
    2) roadrunner 14 points
    3) jfoo 12 points
    4) airfins 9 points
    5) dfstan 8 points
    6) zhapchit 8 points
    7) grumpy 7 points
    8) kelccm 7 points
    9) blazer_works 6 points
    10) xen0275 4 points
    11) estronutz 3 points
    12) roDz 3 points
    13). canew 3 point
    14). nemesis32 2 points
    15). mpenza 1 point
    16). dnd 1 point

LIVERPOOL vs. manu

Anfield
    Sunday, 16 December

8). 2-1 Liverpool Win! (1st: Kewell, Torres) blazer_workz
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Heinze beans wants revenge!

By IAN LADYMAN

Gabriel Heinze will watch his old Manchester United team-mates on TV tomorrow, still furious that his former club denied him a move to Liverpool.

Heinze is at Real Madrid now after United refused to let him go to Anfield in the summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...79&ito=newsnow

Mickey mouse for sale!

Michael Owen's miserable stay at Newcastle will end during next month's transfer window if the club can find a buyer.

Newcastle are ready to cut their losses on the England striker, who cost them 17million to sign from Real Madrid in the summer of 2005.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1779

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    I eat Stinkapore pools odds, $5. Heeeeeeee. Think the presence of the owners and Rafa's situation will provide a positive effect to the result. It is also about time manure looses BIG time. During Houllier's reign, Liverpool would stuff manure in almost every match, but they had players like Fowler and Owen who coule score. The last 3 seasons, Rafa never had a top striker to get the goals, but Torres will make the difference. If I can still recall correctly, manure were totally outplayed at Anfield in March, and the useless hissy fit was silenced throughout the match. Sunday will be revenge day for Liverpool.
    So no die hard LFC fans wanna give me 1 ball after all the optimism?

Current standings:

1) Cheesecake 17 points
    2) roadrunner 14 points
    3) jfoo 12 points
    4) airfins 9 points
    5) dfstan 8 points
    6) zhapchit 8 points
    7) grumpy 7 points
    8) kelccm 7 points
    9) blazer_works 6 points
    10) xen0275 4 points
    11) estronutz 3 points
    12) roDz 3 points
    13). canew 3 point
    14). nemesis32 2 points
    15). mpenza 1 point
    16). dnd 1 point

LIVERPOOL vs. manu

Anfield
    Sunday, 16 December

8). 2-1 Liverpool Win! (1st: Kewell, Torres) blazer_workz
    9). 2-1 Liverpool wins. (1st.: F. Torres, Last: S. Gerrard) Canew.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been handed a two-match touchline ban and a 5,000 fine by the Football Association.

Ferguson declined to fight a misconduct charge brought by the FA over his use of 'insulting words' to referee Mark Clattenburg following the half-time whistle at United's recent Premier League encounter with Bolton at the Reebok Stadium.

- Soccernet.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    So no die hard LFC fans wanna give me 1 ball after all the optimism?
    siao boh

ur manu up higher leh. we optimistic is becos we play at home, of cos need to be confident but tat doesn't mean we will be crazy enuff to gif ball to a team higher up on the table!

u so zai, u gif ball la!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zhapchit View Post
    Mickey mouse for sale!

Michael Owen's miserable stay at Newcastle will end during next month's transfer window if the club can find a buyer.

Newcastle are ready to cut their losses on the England striker, who cost them 17million to sign from Real Madrid in the summer of 2005.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1779
    its downhill for him ever since he left LIVERPOOL F.C.

mickey mouse owen, SONG BOH???????

Quote Originally Posted by zhapchit View Post
    Heinze beans wants revenge!

By IAN LADYMAN

Gabriel Heinze will watch his old Manchester United team-mates on TV tomorrow, still furious that his former club denied him a move to Liverpool.

Heinze is at Real Madrid now after United refused to let him go to Anfield in the summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...79&ito=newsnow