Thread: Difference between Film teleconverter and Digital TC?

Default Difference between Film teleconverter and Digital TC?

I think film SLR usually places the teleconverter between the lens and the body (sometimes it is called tele-extender, which can be confused with extender tube for newbies like me...) and digital non-SLR camera usually place it before the lens.

I have two questions regarding this:
    1. Can film SLR use teleconverter intended for DC?
    e.g. can B300 be used on Canon EOS300?

2. Can tele-extender used for film SLR used for Digital SLR (those can change lens)?
    e.g. can Canon EF 1.4x be used on Digital SLR?

If yes for the above two, any implication involved? Thanks a lot in advance!

Default Re: Difference between Film teleconverter and Digital TC?

Originally posted by Uranus
    I think film SLR usually places the teleconverter between the lens and the body (sometimes it is called tele-extender, which can be confused with extender tube for newbies like me...) and digital non-SLR camera usually place it before the lens.

I have two questions regarding this:
    1. Can film SLR use teleconverter intended for DC?
    e.g. can B300 be used on Canon EOS300?

2. Can tele-extender used for film SLR used for Digital SLR (those can change lens)?
    e.g. can Canon EF 1.4x be used on Digital SLR?

Yes to both.

Anyway for the 1st question it was yes all along because the B300 was originally made for a film camera---The Olympus IS-3/IS-3000.

The only possible implication is that CCDs are supposedly more particular about incident the angle at which the light contacts imaging area. However, there are hardly any optics which are explicitly stated to have taken this into account.

Default Re: Difference between Film teleconverter and Digital TC?

Originally posted by Uranus
    To add to Zer's, the implication is to not expect the same kind of sharpness as you would from the original lens, as well as losing a stop of exposure.

Default Re: Re: Difference between Film teleconverter and Digital TC?

Originally posted by fruitybix
    To add to Zer's, the implication is to not expect the same kind of sharpness as you would from the original lens, as well as losing a stop of exposure.
    would there be any definite loss of light for front mounted teleconverter?
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Default Re: Re: Re: Difference between Film teleconverter and Digital TC?

Originally posted by mpenza
    would there be any definite loss of light for front mounted teleconverter?
    Let me go home this weekend and confirm this.

I remember that its rather insignificant.

hey guys, how's the testing? Would it affect exposure?

I may be mistaken, teleconverters do not affect exposure value, but stacking filters would...?

so are there differences between film n digital teleconverters? if so wat r the differences?