Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Olympus E-510 a good candidate?

Default Re: Is Olympus E-510 a good candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by viewwing View Post
    i know what you mean bro... but E-3 is like... double the price... without lens lor... for my 510... most of the time i keep within 400-800. Very happy with it already

I tried the 400d and comparing the pictures... it handles the 1600iso better... but credits must be given to oly for improving it with the noise filter and noise reduction software. Which... is too hyper active in the lower iso side... so i turned them both off after much conisideration...
    I'm still deciding which of the following should I get:
    1. Olympus E-510 with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6, Olympus FL-50
    2. Canon Digital Rebel XTi (400D) with EF-S 18-55mm and Canon EF 75-300mm III, Canon Speedlite 430EX
    3. Sony A100 with Tamron 28-80mm AF and Tamron 70-300mm Di AF, Sony HVL-F56AM
    4. Nikon? No specific model in mind, anyone? Can come up with a good bundle that has external flash too?
    5. Pentax? Seldom see Pentax lenses in 2nd hand market. Any recommendation?

Experts, which of these listed models and bundles will you pick?

wiLLy-LucifeR, sorry for hijacking your thread. Hope ya don't mind.
    Last edited by Yoh; 2nd December 2007 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i can tell you straight out why i didnt want to buy it, hee hee - because of the 2x crop factor conversion factor. if you want uwa you need to pay a lot of money. something like that. i could be mistaken though.

but that said, the e510 has so many great features for a reasonably low price.. compared to some other more popular brands. it has is, it has live view, olympus anti-dust system is probably the only dust system which is highly effective, the list goes on.. they give you so much more for your buck.

the thing is, a lot of the underdog brands are like that.. which is why you should consider all aspects and options in the market before buying into any system
    Comparing the DSLR can be quite a headache though. I ain't a die-hard fan of any brand hence kinda lost when there's so many different brands and models to compare instead of just looking at a particular brand.

Indeed, Olympus E-510 is one of the value-for-money DSLRs available, especially with the dual lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoh View Post
    2. Canon Digital Rebel XTi (400D) with EF-S 18-55mm and Canon EF 75-300mm III, Canon Speedlite 430EX
    4. Nikon? No specific model in mind, anyone? Can come up with a good bundle that has external flash too?

I'm not sure about the price. But the Sony is definitely out for me. 28mm wide is not enough. And I held one today, doesn't feel right at all.

What are you mainly shooting?

I tried a 400D before, the kit lens definitely will not beat the Olympus kit lens. Colour wise, definitely Olympus. I like the red, green and blues. The Canon reds look like they are fading off, the green doesn't look very green. That's IMO. Don't kill me Canon users. Image Stabilisation is a plus for E-510. It's really really helpful. Trust me. Maybe you wanna list the prices here? And see which is more worth.

One thing I like about the 400D is that, with the battery grip, it doesn't feel too bad. The 350D was like a plastic toy.

ah, was talking about third party lenses. i know right now only got fisheye if you want to go wider than 20 mm equivalent. if i'm not wrong.. for cheaper lenses anyways.

wider than 20mm.... people usually like to go wider than 20mm... can you show me a good landscape that is taken signifincantly wide than 20mm like maybe 17mm?

my personal POV is that it is very hard to use any lens wider than 20mm... and the pics posted in CS that are wider than 20mm are usually not very good pics (and that is putting it nicely)

frankly, I find that live view is a very useful composition aid and will be the wave of the future, ie probably ALL future DSLRs will have it. Look at nikon / canon latest lauches, 40D, D300, D3, etc, every single one of them has live view.

But having said that, I think the olympus E330 is a better camera than the E510, MUCH cheaper somemore due to its better live view implementation.
    Last edited by wind30; 2nd December 2007 at 09:38 PM.

pentax has twin kit lens package too.. the reason why pentax lenses are hardly found in 2nd hand market is because firstly they are already not easy to find locally in singapore. and secondly, most of the lenses are excellent, so once found, rare that one will let go

any of these bundles are great, the trouble is what you wish to shoot. every system has its flaws, like it or not.. also depends on model. obviously the rough idea is that if you start paying more for the more established brands, you will get less compromises.. but still will have compromises. olympus pros and cons generally mentioned already, canon entry level dslrs have a handling problem.. a lot of people find them too small. also, canon consumer grade lenses are really consumer grade, that's the general consensus. sony a100 itself should have noise problems iirc.. especially with long exposures. sony lenses also bloody expensive. nikon has noise problems. and of course the canikon gang entry level still no in-body IS. pentax has trouble with indoor shooting wb, hard to find lenses.. and these are only a few cons. pros, of course each system has many.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    wider than 20mm.... people usually like to go wider than 20mm... can you show me a good landscape that is taken signifincantly wide than 20mm like maybe 17mm?

my personal POV is that it is very hard to use any lens wider than 20mm... and the pics posted in CS that are wider than 20mm are usually not very good pics (and that is putting it nicely)
    you are really asking for it, i suppose

let me destroy your personal pov

if you want to say that pictures taken with 5D + 17-40 not necessarily using 17 end.. then there are few where they state it is 17mm (1x crop factor because full frame):
    higher ground
    these dreams
    now and forever
    in the twilight

if you can look at adam burton's pictures and tell me that he isn't using wider than 20mm most of the time, then i will have nothing to say
    i like shooting at 10mm most of the time (15mm in 35mm after crop factor)

if you want to see local version, imran definitely uses a lot of 10mm with his sigma 10-20mm. check it out.
    Last edited by night86mare; 2nd December 2007 at 09:43 PM.

wow, i'm utterly in awe. the pics in there are, superb.

i'm also inspired by this photographer's works on landscapes.
    Last edited by wiLLy-LucifeR; 2nd December 2007 at 09:41 PM.

The Sony A100 is a good choice. With it kit lens combination of 18-70mm & 70-300mm, the range has been covered more or less. The Sony kit lens is pretty decent too. If you do not mind a 2nd hand, try the B&S section for some real good deals. If $ is not an issue, the CZ 16-80mm would be a good lens to invest in.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    I'm not sure about the price. But the Sony is definitely out for me. 28mm wide is not enough. And I held one today, doesn't feel right at all.

What are you mainly shooting?

I tried a 400D before, the kit lens definitely will not beat the Olympus kit lens. Colour wise, definitely Olympus. I like the red, green and blues. The Canon reds look like they are fading off, the green doesn't look very green. That's IMO. Don't kill me Canon users. Image Stabilisation is a plus for E-510. It's really really helpful. Trust me. Maybe you wanna list the prices here? And see which is more worth.

One thing I like about the 400D is that, with the battery grip, it doesn't feel too bad. The 350D was like a plastic toy.
    Thanks for the input. I'm looking for a all-rounder kind of DSLR, hard eh? Using it mostly for Macro and Landscape shoots. Have plans to use it for events such as wedding etc.

Will be using 3rd party battery grip for the selected models.

Olympus E-510 set with FL-50 @ USD1016.40.
    Canon EOS 400D set with Speedlite @ USD1099.95
    Gotta find the price for Sony set, misplaced it.

Quote Originally Posted by wiLLy-LucifeR View Post
    wow, i'm utterly in awe. the pics in there are, superb.

i'm also inspired by this photographer's works on landscapes.
    poo why does he only sell blackandwhite works in his site.. see his DEVIANTART gallery

there are some of the photos in colour i really feel like buying one of them to put up in my room hurhur

here

a lot of burning and dodging work though.. some people may not prefer because of the slightly synthetic look

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    The Sony A100 is a good choice. With it kit lens combination of 18-70mm & 70-300mm, the range has been covered more or less. The Sony kit lens is pretty decent too. If you do not mind a 2nd hand, try the B&S section for some real good deals. If $ is not an issue, the CZ 16-80mm would be a good lens to invest in.
    How about the current listed combination in the list? Cost is an issue, but will make adjustments accordingly should there be any better recommendations.

Of course not till the extend that a complete change of models with some costly lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    frankly, I find that live view is a very useful composition aid and will be the wave of the future, ie probably ALL future DSLRs will have it. Look at nikon / canon latest lauches, 40D, D300, D3, etc, every single one of them has live view.
    second that, but not sure if it's really useful for composition per se, at least not at first thought. but at least one could see whether the mood he wishes to achieve is going to be achieved if he wishes to overexpose deliberately or underexpose deliberately i guess. right now i can only imagine and sometimes the results are not what i think they are.

definitely very very useful for macro photography

second that, but not sure if it's really useful for composition per se, at least not at first thought. but at least one could see whether the mood he wishes to achieve is going to be achieved if he wishes to overexpose deliberately or underexpose deliberately i guess. right now i can only imagine and sometimes the results are not what i think they are.

definitely very very useful for macro photography
    I feel LiveView without a articulating LCD is not as useful as LiveView with one. If you need to take a high/low angle shot, You might not be able to see the screen. But can be useful at times, especially for macro or maybe even landscapes. And with LiveView, WYSIWYG. 100% coverage.

Buy the camera that has consistently clinched so many awards and garnered excellent reviews - the Pentax K10D.

Now selling at only USD620 body only (before US rebate). In-body image stabilization, weather proof construction, lots of features and all at a terrific price (outside Singapore that is). It's latest accolade http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4242...ced-dslrs.html

pentax has twin kit lens package too.. the reason why pentax lenses are hardly found in 2nd hand market is because firstly they are already not easy to find locally in singapore. and secondly, most of the lenses are excellent, so once found, rare that one will let go

any of these bundles are great, the trouble is what you wish to shoot. every system has its flaws, like it or not.. also depends on model. obviously the rough idea is that if you start paying more for the more established brands, you will get less compromises.. but still will have compromises. olympus pros and cons generally mentioned already, canon entry level dslrs have a handling problem.. a lot of people find them too small. also, canon consumer grade lenses are really consumer grade, that's the general consensus. sony a100 itself should have noise problems iirc.. especially with long exposures. sony lenses also bloody expensive. nikon has noise problems. and of course the canikon gang entry level still no in-body IS. pentax has trouble with indoor shooting wb, hard to find lenses.. and these are only a few cons. pros, of course each system has many.
    So I assume that the listed combinations are okay for almost any condition?

Any comment on Samsung GX-10?

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Buy the camera that has consistently clinched so many awards and garnered excellent reviews - the Pentax K10D.

Now selling at only USD620 body only (before US rebate). In-body image stabilization, weather proof construction, lots of features and all at a terrific price (outside Singapore that is). It's latest accolade http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4242...ced-dslrs.html
    The main concern is on the lens and not much on the body, I assume.

btw, does anyone knows if the e-510 has a dioptre for its viewfinder? i'll definitely need it, especially for a bespectaled person like me.

So I assume that the listed combinations are okay for almost any condition?

Any comment on Samsung GX-10?
    hahaha that one really damn rare, but i remember got something kinky that k10d doesn't have, or does it.. double exposure i think.. i would think it is equivalent to k10d?

yes, the listed combinations are ok, the main difference is with olympus having a crop factor. nonetheless with all the kit combinations and choices you have picked for lenses, they are all almost equivalent. i'd wager that the sony package is going to cost more though, from what i've seen.

i think for you, the question is with regards to handling.. and the general feel of the camera. everything else that varies, like color interpretation and accuracy.. to be honest, and frank, nothing that a few clicks in photoshop will not solve

Quote Originally Posted by wiLLy-LucifeR View Post
    btw, does anyone knows if the e-510 has a dioptre for its viewfinder? i'll definitely need it, especially for a bespectaled person like me.
    Yes it does.

Just a note, the E-510 viewfinder is pretty small, because of the sensor size.

hahaha that one really damn rare, but i remember got something kinky that k10d doesn't have, or does it.. double exposure i think.. i would think it is equivalent to k10d?

yes, the listed combinations are ok, the main difference is with olympus having a crop factor. nonetheless with all the kit combinations and choices you have picked for lenses, they are all almost equivalent. i'd wager that the sony package is going to cost more though, from what i've seen.

i think for you, the question is with regards to handling.. and the general feel of the camera. everything else that varies, like color interpretation and accuracy.. to be honest, and frank, nothing that a few clicks in photoshop will not solve
    Sony A100 set cost USD1151.52 (inclusive of HVL-F56AM). Slightly higher than the combinations I have in mind. I wonder should I change the F56AM to F36AM instead since the difference is close to USD150.

Sounds good to have combinations right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast