Thread: Any Ideas for Cable Laying?

vince123123
    Guests

Default Any Ideas for Cable Laying?

Hi,

I need to lay some electrical cables indoors on a carpeted area and its fairly crowded with human traffic around. Hence I need the cables to lay flat and not move.

The classic way is to use tape to tape it down. However, tape is quite mafan to use and makes the cables sticky after some time.

I've seen a live sound reinforcement crew setting up a live gig using plastic temporary trunking before - anyone knows what this is and where these can be bought from?

Another time I saw a special type of cable tape where the middle is not sticky (so wires wont' stick) and the sides are sticky (to stick to the ground). Anyone knows where to get these from?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Any Ideas for Cable Laying?

staple gun.

the 'trunking' u mention is easily available at hardware stores
    is actually a half pipe cut across vertically.
    just a suggestion, how about cabling around the area?

=) use wireless speakon, dmx, everything. haha

or like wat T.snake said. run along the parameters. we usually do that for life shows. or just use gaffer loh.

Blog Entries

i bought the trunking from homefix diy,the normal one are rectangular in cross section
    and the ones that you are looking for is a section of a circle in cross section

so you can roll trolly or step on it.

vince123123
    Guests

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll check out the DIY stores - I always thought the trunking they sell is not for temporary live show cable runs, but more of permanent or semi-permanent cable running.

Any further suggestions are welcome

the normal pvc ones arn't very strong. from what i've seen people do, they have this much harder half-hexigonal trunking but i dont know where to get it. wiring around the perimeter is always a good idea.

Best solution (short of wireless) is to run the cables over the ceiling. Laying cables across a heavily trafficked area imposes a trip hazards, plus as people step on the cables repeatedly, the insulcation wires may become damaged exposing the core wires which in turn could pose a fire/electrocution risk.

vince123123
    Guests

Ah yeap, I am looking for this half hexagonal ones ... similar to these:

http://cableorganizer.com/fast-lane-drop-over/

But not sure whre to find htem in Singapore.....

Quote Originally Posted by hacknet View Post
    the normal pvc ones arn't very strong. from what i've seen people do, they have this much harder half-hexigonal trunking but i dont know where to get it. wiring around the perimeter is always a good idea.

the ones u are looking at are not cheap and not easily available in sg.
    u can try soucing from audio shops at adelphi, they mighyt have lobangs.

This is what you can do if you can't find any cable trays. Get some carpet. Those black or red ones that they use in exhibitions or for covering the stage floor.

Tape the cables onto the floor using Gaffer tapes, cover them with strips of carpets and tape those carpets to the floor. Then get those striped yellow and black colored tapes and and tape some of it on the carpet. It would serve as a warning to people that there's a bump on the floor.

If its just for a few days install, gaffer tape should work and the carpet should protect the cables.
    Last edited by jeagga; 2nd December 2007 at 02:26 PM.

Hi,

try locally with RS catalogue or Farnell, they might have.

Is the length very long?

If it is less than 5m, go get those typical PVC pipes, let the cables go through. Add some saddles over and anchor the entire piece onto the floor. This is the cheapest, most rigid and fastest method to secure. If you can "hide" them across steps will be best as this is definitely the cheapest and safest option. With this method, no problem using just interval Tapes with paper wound round the cable to avoid been sticky later.

Alternatively, use two pieces of wood across run them parallel to your cable (in between) and cover the entire combination with another carpet. This will last for short period of exhibition.

That trunking is expensive and they are charged by per measurements and you will also need to anchor on to the ground.

Hope these helps.
    Last edited by scubanel; 10th December 2007 at 12:25 AM. Reason: forgot more info to add