Thread: Portrait Focusing

Default Portrait Focusing

Hi, I have a Canon 400D and is using the kit len and 50mm 1.8 len. I tried to shoot portrait but the person face and eye is not sharp. But if I use auto mode is even more sharper.
    I try to find out the best setting by testing @ diff apeture size & focus length & subject distance.
    Example. the subject is 5ft & 8ft away. apeture fr 1.8 all the way to 22. I put 3 can drink about 6inches away from each other (front and back). I still can't find the best setting .

Greatly appreciate someone can help.

Many Thanks!

Default Re: Portrait Focusing

It would probably be best if you attached some sample pictures of what you mentioned (not sharp and auto - even more sharp), and your can test. And yeah, the EXIF data so we know what shutter speed, ISO etc you used.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 30th November 2007 at 07:06 PM.

most probably the Autofocus caught the wrong thing to focus on..
    or the shutter speed too slow?
    Last edited by blurry80; 30th November 2007 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonpoh65 View Post
    Hi, I have a Canon 400D and is using the kit len and 50mm 1.8 len. I tried to shoot portrait but the person face and eye is not sharp. But if I use auto mode is even more sharper.
    I try to find out the best setting by testing @ diff apeture size & focus length & subject distance.
    Example. the subject is 5ft & 8ft away. apeture fr 1.8 all the way to 22. I put 3 can drink about 6inches away from each other (front and back). I still can't find the best setting .

Greatly appreciate someone can help.

Many Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    It would probably be best if you attached some sample pictures of what you mentioned (not sharp and auto - even more sharp), and your can test. And yeah, the EXIF data so we know what shutter speed, ISO etc you used.
    Hi Dream, Thanks, I tried to find the function for attaching the photo while replying your mail but i can't find the function.. Apprecaite you can teach me. Many Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blurry80 View Post
    most probably the Autofocus caught the wrong thing to focus on..
    or the shutter speed too slow?

Hi Blurry,
    the canon software show the focus point is right. Shutter speed is faster than 1/100..

Quote Originally Posted by jonpoh65 View Post
    Hi Dream, Thanks, I tried to find the function for attaching the photo while replying your mail but i can't find the function.. Apprecaite you can teach me. Many Thanks.

Have a look here: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=94574