Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Black Card Technique(Question)

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Talking Black Card Technique(Question)

    Hi Bros,

    Is black card technique use for taking picture in the dark only?(Eg. fireworks, lightning...)

    Or can it be use in the bright day?(Eg. Sunrise, Sunset, in the mid of the day)



    Please enlighten me...

    Thanks a million!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    Only for the dark long shutter senarios.

    In bright light, you can't react fast enough to act like a shutter.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    While using black card, please take note
    - recording images in the media may take super long time due to long exposure
    - ensure behind your camera is total darkness. Sight light may reflect the black card into the lens
    - do not use lens hood
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    While using black card, please take note
    - recording images in the media may take super long time due to long exposure
    - ensure behind your camera is total darkness. Sight light may reflect the black card into the lens
    - do not use lens hood
    If it happen to have lighting(eg. lamp light, building light) behind the camera, what should I do?

  5. #5
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoia08 View Post
    If it happen to have lighting(eg. lamp light, building light) behind the camera, what should I do?
    Not too sure what do you mean by this?
    If you are questioning about if the camera isn't in total darkness and you have some street light at the back of the camera when you are trying out the black card technique.

    Well, it really depends on situation and how you use the black card, as long as the light isn't very bright, it shouldn't matter. If not, you might be able to see some "ghosting" effect.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247 View Post
    Not too sure what do you mean by this?
    If you are questioning about if the camera isn't in total darkness and you have some street light at the back of the camera when you are trying out the black card technique.

    Well, it really depends on situation and how you use the black card, as long as the light isn't very bright, it shouldn't matter. If not, you might be able to see some "ghosting" effect.
    Ya, this is my question. Sorry about that..
    Btw, to capture a photo with the clouds really stands out, i mean you can see the whole cloud's shape, do your use black card as well?
    I don't really know how to put this in words. Hope you can picture what I mean.

    Or is there another way?

  7. #7
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoia08 View Post
    Ya, this is my question. Sorry about that..
    Btw, to capture a photo with the clouds really stands out, i mean you can see the whole cloud's shape, do your use black card as well?
    I don't really know how to put this in words. Hope you can picture what I mean.

    Or is there another way?
    Hmm...
    I guess you mean capturing a much well define shape of cloud instead of capturing Cloud trails.
    For that, you need fast shutter speed. Try shooting at Dusk period or wait for a night that is without much wind.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247 View Post
    Hmm...
    I guess you mean capturing a much well define shape of cloud instead of capturing Cloud trails.
    For that, you need fast shutter speed. Try shooting at Dusk period or wait for a night that is without much wind.
    this is my question. hehe.. sorry..
    Are there ways to capture those thick and well define shape cloud in the day?
    Like in the afternoon where it's very bright.
    Because when I tried, it's just one piece of white sky.
    Cannot see clouds either.

  9. #9
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoia08 View Post
    this is my question. hehe.. sorry..
    Are there ways to capture those thick and well define shape cloud in the day?
    Like in the afternoon where it's very bright.
    Because when I tried, it's just one piece of white sky.
    Cannot see clouds either.
    In the day, it really depends on the time of the day and also the weather.
    It is very cloudy these days and you don't get blue sky with white cloud.
    Maybe you can try again when the weather is better.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247 View Post
    In the day, it really depends on the time of the day and also the weather.
    It is very cloudy these days and you don't get blue sky with white cloud.
    Maybe you can try again when the weather is better.
    Ooooo......
    I kept thinking whether one need to use black card for the day.
    haha
    Thanks a million for enlighting me...

  11. #11
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoia08 View Post
    Ooooo......
    I kept thinking whether one need to use black card for the day.
    haha
    Thanks a million for enlighting me...
    Welcome.

    Black Card Technique is used more for night photography to act like a second shutter.

    Try to play around more and experiment with your camera to get the full potential out. Have fun and feel free to clarify your doubt. I believe there are others here who can share more and guide you along.

    Cheerz. Good day.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  12. #12

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    What is the black card technique? Is it to be used as a gobo or something?

  13. #13
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by randytay View Post
    What is the black card technique? Is it to be used as a gobo or something?
    Hi there,

    The Black Card Technique is just primarily in Night Photography to act like a second shutter. It has been discussed previously here in this thread.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....6&postcount=76

    It is not really using it like a gobo (which is used with studio lighting) but more like a shutter.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  14. #14

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoia08 View Post
    this is my question. hehe.. sorry..
    Are there ways to capture those thick and well define shape cloud in the day?
    Like in the afternoon where it's very bright.
    Because when I tried, it's just one piece of white sky.
    Cannot see clouds either.
    How you shoot clouds when you cannot see them? Must wait till got nice nice clouds lah.. Some things are not up to you.


  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    How you shoot clouds when you cannot see them? Must wait till got nice nice clouds lah.. Some things are not up to you.

    Oooo....
    No wonder!!!
    I've been thinking what I did wrong!!
    Have been reading tons of websites, but still cannot.
    Now I see....
    Thanks bro!!!
    Nx time I can't see clouds, I won't waste my time taking and taking and taking...

  16. #16

    Default Re: Black Card Technique(Question)

    glad you realized your mistake haha
    1D MkIII, 5D MkII 16-200 2.8L, 35L, 50L, 135L
    View my flickr

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •