Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how to shoot indoors (conferences/semiars)?

Default Re: how to shoot indoors (conferences/semiars)?

If possible go to the place where the event will be held and try it out in advance. Even professionals do that sometimes to familiarise themselves or looking out for opportunities or strategic positioning. Really felt sorry for you,given this ECA. I admire your spirit and willingness to make it happen, very positive attitude,rather than to sulk and rot.
    If unfortunately the pics did not turn out well and superior is very unreasonable and not happy with results, then I suggest that you show him/her on some sites where low or high key pics are taken. Basically low key pics are "under-exposed" feeling type of pics, while high key " over-exposed". Just tell him/her that you are trying to achieve this artistic feel.Trying doesn't equate to cheating or misleading. Since you are not professional or making money out of this event, you should have any guilt feelings. Your superior may not really be able to appreciate or decipher the genuine category.They looked all the same to ignorant parties, not to mentioned in the midst of so called "experts" here. If they can get past here, so can you. I suspect he might appreciate your effort and probably feel that they are close enough. But with your kind of spirit, I can foresee the great achievements in you and don't ever buy in the nonsene that achieving results must come by hard way. Genes do help, but so does attititude. I have known so many wealth and successful men that do not even have proper education, but they make it in life ,all because of their attitude ! Smart people do thing the smart way.Keep it up !!!
    Last edited by Tambre; 1st December 2007 at 11:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tambre View Post
    Just tell him/her tah you are trying to achieve ths artistic feel.Trying doesn't equate to cheating or misleading.
    this kind of advice also can?
    a good attitude plus hard work will get you far

just sitting in your comfy chair asking questions on a forum instead of trying it out on location?
    i wonder which one is good attitude

a photographer is as good as his last job
    if it turned out well the you are good
    if it did not turn out well then you are no good

in real life people remember your mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    this kind of advice also can?
    a good attitude plus hard work will get you far

just sitting in your comfy chair asking questions on a forum instead of trying it out on location?
    i wonder which one is good attitude

a photographer is as good as his last job
    if it turned out well the you are good
    if it did not turn out well then you are no good

in real life people remember your mistakes
    That's why I ask him to go in advance to tryout mah

Blog Entries

That's why I ask him to go in advance to tryout mah
    but you also told him that he has a good attitude
    and you gave him 3 for

I admire your spirit and willingness to make it happen, very positive attitude,rather than to sulk and rot.
    so far i have only seen asking questions, asking questions is good but you also need to think
    if you do not understand your equipment and how it works, why is under exposes and why it over exposes.

you will only be asking for a magic setting that might and might not work (depending of equipment and lighting situation at the location)

in order to be a technically good photographer, you need to be able to see the image b4 you press the shutter, you must know what your equipment is "seeing" and "thinking"
    and compensate b4 you click.

so i feel that your words of encouragement is actually doing more harm than good.

He's desperate, that's why he came here to ask for advice. If cannot help, him,please don't pour any more cold water. He didn't get paid,just an ECA. I think a simpler advice,using auto mode may help him. Some people are just born smart, they just need a little push and he can get going. If we have patience , just given him that little push ie advice and not ask him to continue to dwell in the sh!t pit. Most people remember others bad mistakes if transcation are commercial, but free not likely lah? If things turn out bad,it's more likely that requestor feel himself has mad a bad choice. Anyway what do one expect great thing from free, all the more if he demands it. I would choose not to burden him anymore than what he can bear now. Like I said, if nothing is helpful to alleviate his anxiety, shut up is the best !!! Some skulls are thick and not getting the rationale.
    Last edited by Tambre; 2nd December 2007 at 12:24 AM.

Blog Entries

so i feel that your words of encouragement is actually doing more harm than good.
    i repeat the above, some skulls are thick as well

Of course they are really super thick. The reply was meant for the person whom you quoted. Just look at your mirror ! Showing remorse is a good sign and real strength !!! I have it photographed and will print it ,place it on my front desk to amuse myself for having such wonderful clowns round. Thanks for the joke of the century !!!
    On the hindsight, virtual confession room or box is non-existent. You are the founder and have every right to claim and patent it. Ya, I know many inventions are results of accidents ot accidental discovery, so is virtual confession room. Since it has no boundaries (no physical walls ) , better stay out before the bill comes. Presto , a star is born. Press the shutter, recollect how the virtual confession room is created and laugh until I "toh" (hokkien la) So to 3 cheers Presto, except my hand can't be steady anymore to take decent pics !
    Last edited by Tambre; 2nd December 2007 at 01:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Of course they are really super thick. The reply was meant for the person whom you quoted. Just look at your mirror ! Showing remorse is a good sign and real strength !!! I have it photographed and will print it ,place it on my front desk to amuse myself for having such wonderful clowns round. Thanks for the joke of the century !!!
    On the hindsight, virtual confession room or box is non-existent. You are the founder and have every right to claim and patent it. Ya, I know many inventions are results of accidents ot accidental discovery, so is virtual confession room. Since it has no boundaries (no physical walls ) , better stay out before the bill comes. Presto , a star is born. Press the shutter, recollect how the virtual confession room is created and laugh until I "toh" (hokkien la) So to 3 cheers Presto, except my hand can't be steady anymore to take decent pics !
    i did a search on your post history and now i know where you are heading ...

i will let my post history speak for itself

i believe you said

If only the rest of you can provide reply like the one above, this reply has been the most helpful and courteous. Can't blame Ibaru's reaction anyway, cause the reply was downright rude. But then keeping cool is best option.Someone said in another forum of different hobby that this place is wonderful, not really. Score in diplomacy is zero.
    i would think that you should practice what you post

mind your language (you can take this as a warning)

please read the posting guidelines
    Last edited by ortega; 2nd December 2007 at 04:46 PM.

i will always use my favourite chinese fable when it comes to people who put down "please search google" replies, i do it most of the time. why? there are so many questions which are laughable. it is not because i am experienced. i KNOW that if those people who ask those stupid questions had done a google search, or had bothered to do so throughout their lives, they would not be asking such questions. -i- never had to ask many questions, because after a while you realise that there is A LOT of information on the internet these days. but it depends- like hdr, i generally don't mind questions because it isn't that intuitive at first.. and i had to go through a significant amount of experimentation and time to achieve the sort of look and feel i liked. but stuff like "what is tfcd", "how to use my camera", "what camera to buy", these are questions which will either a)be easily answered with the click of the google toolbar ABOVE your browser. if you don't have it, download it, or b)get you nowhere, because there is no answer in the first place, only you can answer it.

so what is the chinese fable? i can't really remember it so i will just modify it.

there was 2 pairs of father and son. the first taught his son how to catch fish. the son didn't know why he had to learn, and grumbled, why can't you just catch fish for me to eat. he found it hard at first, but as time went by, it got easier, and eventually he was able to catch fish easily for himself. the second pair, the father pampered the son. everyday catch fish for him, make sure he was full, the son never had to do anything. when the sons grew up and the fathers died.. the first son could catch fish himself everyday. the second son couldn't do anything with regards to food. in the end he starved and died.

teach a person to fish, and he benefits for life. give him fish, and he will only benefit for a short while.

from what i see, you only get "search google" replies when it comes to questions which can be easily answered. when it comes to country visits, for example when i asked about italy because i have an upcoming italy trip, i get very helpful replies from all alike. same from the poor group of people who are somehow getting mudslinged by people who do not seem to have made much significant contributions themself.. only in this thread.. so that gives them the self-perceived right to put two people who have contributed significantly.. and are just trying to change the mindsets (rightly, in my view) of a certain brand of clubsnappers? naw, give me a break.

just my 2 cents, you can flame me and i do not care. in short:

that said - if ts' company is bullying him to do stuff that he is not willing to do, then ts should not sweat too much about it.. most companies i know hire external photographers. it makes more sense, does it not. other than that, flash techniques and all that, can be easily found on the net. our national library is full of photography books related to this aspect as well. i think, there are more indoor books and portrait books than landscape books in most library branches, sadly. this should not be the case!
    Last edited by night86mare; 2nd December 2007 at 06:43 PM.

i did a search on your post history and now i know where you are heading ...

i will let my post history speak for itself

i believe you said

i would think that you should practice what you post

mind your language (you can take this as a warning)

please read the posting guidelines
    You have the tendency to read out of context, when I say "it is best to keep cool" and I also mentioned "can't blame" the other guy for such reaction, I am talking about ideal. I did not disapprove nor approve as I understand that there are people who are not diplomatic and irritate others. So there's no principle to hold here. I don't see why you think I lost my cool as the adjectives used were neutral. "Skull are thick and not geting the rationale" - the pure meaning is impossible to understand. I never use degrading/negative words such as stupid mah. If you perceive it as such, then too bad. You threw that back into my court. I have no idea that you are the moderator in this forum until you say you are giving me warning. If you ban me because of this misunderstanding, will you also ban yourself since you also violate the principle ? I am not against asking people to do search, just be tactful.
    If you think that wonderful and clown is demeaning, that's too bad. I have all respect for that profession. Sorry if my funny bones have offended you. We often see people talking to themselves, but virtually it's something new and funny, and that's all. Humour in it's purest form without evil intent.
    As a moderator, should you involve in opinion based topics ? Why I say it as such is because there are two groups of people stating their perception, especially on the strong negatives used in the reply. "Sh1t" is never an acceptable word and to imply others that they have been doing "sh1t" job all the while is really degrading.Don't you feel that there's a conflict of interest here by your participation? Guidelines are not rules, don't be harsh on new comers. Gentle reminder will do. You can remind or even assert your authority if anyone goes off line but did you tell the other person not to use such language ? Is he your friend that you have no guts to tell him or to show to the rest of us here that you are biased and show favouritism ?
    To say I do not practice diplomacy is also not totally true. I have never used anybody's quotation but addressing some ignorant parties of their behaviour. If they chose to pick up the tabs, I can't help it. My intention is very simple, don't be harsh, use negative words or words that invoked bad feelings in others. If you want to ban me ,by all means. Anyway whatever that I wanted to know can be found in bookstores and have no intention to dwell here as it serves no purpose. All I can say is , this is a very strange forum. I have so many hobbies and really hardcore about them but never come across a culture such as this. It's just shocking and entertaining at the same time.
    Oh ,don't forget to issue a warning to nigth86mare, as his statement clearly degrading, saying other are asking"stupid" questions. To me, asking for critics is as good as asking a question because many successful photographers has already pointed what it is in their books. I finally realised in here, asking questions is a very strong . Maybe it really helps if you can change guidelines to rules.
    Last edited by Tambre; 2nd December 2007 at 11:20 PM.

omg... didnt know a simple question can lead to such a heated debate??

anyway i would want to thank all the super kind forumers in sharing some techniques i could use in low lighting conditions.

to those that gave "constructive" suggestions, i thank you too... but do bear in mind that you were once a newbie and had to learn somewhere, somehow by someone. I am not paid to cover events and conferences, so happens that i am the "IT" guy in my department hence all "IT" duties are handled by me. I was just seeking advise on things i should look out for and how i can improve my shoots... i am not expecting to be a wee khim overnight. so i hope u can understand and cut me and the rest of newbies some slack when we seek assistance and advise from gurus like yourselves.

Cheers everyone... lets not quarrel abt this minor issue further its a photography forum and not a debatical arena.

Oh Oretega, Kindly help to delete all my post in this forum. Many thanks in advance !

Blog Entries

1. i am not a mod
    2. i am a superuser in some other sections, not here
    3. i believe your reply above speaks for itself

I am usually very calculated in my response but your persistence in your brand of humor that only amuses yourself takes the cake.

1. i am not a mod
    2. i am a superuser in some other sections, not here
    3. i believe your reply above speaks for itself

I am usually very calculated in my response but your persistence in your brand of humor that only amuses yourself takes the cake.
    do not feed the troll longer. just bash the troll's head in, and leave.

I am not sure if Nov and Dec are the months where people just like to vent their frustration online . Why do I keep seeing people spending time writing rude, tactless comments in this forum?

Worse of all, people who usually argue aren't even the TS in the 1st place. I just want to remind everyone few things

1) Irregardless you are a newbies or oldies or whatever, you are to observe the rules and guidelines in this forum

2) Newbie or not doesnt means you are entitled to a different way of talking or replies.

3) Good or bad, any history post is considered over. Get over it and move on with your life. I dont like members who keep digging up history (be it himself or others).

4) All of you are guests in this forum, if you feel anyone is going overboard or in violation of the guidelines, use the report post. Theres no need to take things in your own hands.

5) Last but not least, for people who give replies like "Ban me", I have zero tolerance against such people. I will usually de-reg such people on sight.

This is a forum where people share info and experience. If you feel the information is not right for you, you have the right not to accept. Theres no need to fight or argue until the cow comes home. If you have so much energy to argue, go book the speaker's corner and make your points there. CS is not the place for such things.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123