Thread: Basic Photo Lesson

Default Basic Photo Lesson

hi, can someone share your view of the 12 Basic Photo Lesson held in PSS?
    I was thinking to go for it soon.
    Last edited by STTNP; 30th November 2007 at 09:45 PM.
    Nikon D600 N35f2, N50f1.4, N24-120f4, Tokina 20-35f2.8, SB900,

Default Re: Basic Photo Lesson

anyone can share?

no reply meh

It was a great class to take when Steven Yee was there cos he is super informative and his classes are light and fun. However, I think the instructor has left. And I cant comment on the new PSS class format (but I think should be no different!). Or you can try Steven's classes at Knowledgebowl or something like that! I found the basic classes super helpful. Just my 2 cents.
    D300 /18-200VR/ 80-200 F2.8/12-24F4/ 50mm F1.4/ 28-70F2.8/ 70-200VRF2.8/85mm F1.8 SB600

PSS is good, just like the rest. PSS is one of the oldest photographic clubs in singapore.

Important thing is to read up as much as you can so you dont lack behind when those camera jargons are taught. Remember to practice everyday before the next class. With digital, the pictures dont cost money. Select a few good & bad pictures and print them (or download into a photo viewer) and ask instructor why you have weaknesses in certain areas.

Avoid photoshop in the pictures you present to your instructor as you try to learn the fundamentals. It is pointless to mask all the flaws and live with incorrect skills.

thanks for the high light bros.

Hi !

I attend the PSS courses before;
    both the basic digital and creative photography courses

Great for newbie
    Learn alot from the instructors
    Course also involve outdoor shooting
    A lot of interraction with other photographers

Overall, its worth your money

I just tot to attend a class to learn something, and still waiting for my friend and will a take next month

Attended the basic course. Class size was 30+ when the webbie said max 20. Seating was uncomfy to say the least. Quite disappointed with the course as the notes (if given) were very inadequate. Only thing I enjoyed was the outing.
    5DMKIiI|24-105f4L|50f1.4|70-200f2.8L|400f5.6L
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymond101/

Quote Originally Posted by F2point8 View Post
    Attended the basic course. Class size was 30+ when the webbie said max 20. Seating was uncomfy to say the least. Quite disappointed with the course as the notes (if given) were very inadequate. Only thing I enjoyed was the outing.
    it takes some time to be reasonably proficient w the various commom shooting techniques.

so, i believe wat happens after the course to be equally if not more important than wat is actually taught (which is likely to be overview of theories).

are u able to identify w any of the experiences ppl in the society and seek their advise as and when necessary (not only during specific, official critic nights)?

i find a good "mentor" (but more like friend) important in progressing quickly as mistakes/bad habits can be quickly identified and rectified.
    Last edited by attap seed; 10th December 2007 at 12:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Any more would like to share your view?
    I think the basic 12 lesson is a good start.

The basic class is good when you know nothing about photography and you want to learn more about how to take good photos.

The class size is more than 20+ for most of the time, in case you have missed any of the lessons, you just join another group on another day. (You won't miss a lesson!) This is good for working people.

One of the good things is you can find people with the same interest, i.e. taking photographs. Overall, the basic course is just the start of your photography journey and it is really brief, you can take up their advanced class if you want to learn more in a specific area, e.g. travel or wedding. The fee will be reasonable if you sign up together with their 2 years membership. There is also free critic sessions on alternate Friday night for PSS members. You can submit your photos for C and C. You will learn more from these sessions.

One last thing, you need to submit course works at the end of the lesson.