Thread: Travelling to US??? pls read on...

Exclamation Travelling to US??? pls read on...

Only biometric passport holders allowed visa-free entry into US
    Posted: 28 November 2007 1635 hrs

SINGAPORE : The US embassy says passports issued or extended after 26 October 2006 must be biometric in order for Singaporeans to enjoy visa-free entry into the US.

Holders of non-biometric passports who wish to travel to the US can check directly with the US Embassy on their entry requirements.

Alternatively, they may consider applying for the biometric passport or BioPass to enjoy visa-free entry to the US.

Singapore started issuing biometric passports since 15 August last year.

ICA says non-biometric passports are still valid for travel. However, visa requirements are determined by the foreign immigration authorities concerned.

More information is available at ICA's website.

- CNA /ls
    From ICA:

US VISA REQUIREMENTS FOR EXTENDED NON-BIOMETRIC PASSPORTS

The Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) understands that some Singaporeans holding the non-biometric passports which had been extended, were unable to enter the US without a valid visa.

2 Arising from this, ICA has checked with the US Embassy on the visa requirements for entry into US. The US Embassy has now notified that under the US VWP requirements, passports issued or extended after 26 October 2006 are required to be biometric in order for the holder to enjoy visa waiver entry into US. The US Embassy has conveyed this requirement to all travel agencies and airlines recently. All Singapore Passports (BioPass) issued from 15 August 2006 are biometric passports and holders can continue to travel to the US under the VWP.

3 ICA would like to highlight that the non-biometric passports are still valid for travel. However, the imposition of the visa requirements is the prerogative of the foreign immigration authorities concerned. Singaporeans intending to travel overseas should check with the relevant foreign authorities and ensure that they meet the entry requirements before embarking on their journey.

4 For Singaporeans holding the non-biometric passports and who wish to travel to the US, they are advised to check directly with the US Embassy on their entry/visa requirements.

5 Alternatively, the affected Singapore passport holders may consider applying for the BioPass to enjoy visa-free entry to the US. Singapore citizens may choose to apply for a BioPass via any one of the four available modes:
    a. Application online via APPLES;
    b. Application by post;
    c. Application by deposit box;
    d. Application in person over our Passport application counters.

6 The BioPass application forms are available at ICA website http://www.ica.gov.sg, Neighbourhood Police Posts and Community Clubs. You can also call 6738 3352 for a form to be mailed to you. If in doubt as to whether you need to apply for a visa to the US, you may wish to call ICA at 6391 6100 for clarifications.
    END OF NEWS RELEASE

Immigration & Checkpoints Authority
    28 November 2007

Smile Re: Travelling to US??? pls read on...

Hey thanks for the information! I'm going US soon and am in the midst of trying to get the documentations settled.

Default Re: Travelling to US??? pls read on...

Quote Originally Posted by 5kywalker View Post
    Hey thanks for the information! I'm going US soon and am in the midst of trying to get the documentations settled.
    U are welcome, hope the info is useful to you!

How about passports issued before 26 October 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by sgkinkgong View Post
    How about passports issued before 26 October 2006?
    Think it will be best for u to check with ICA!

6. ......... If in doubt as to whether you need to apply for a visa to the US, you may wish to call ICA at 6391 6100 for clarifications.

Smile Re: Travelling to US??? pls read on...

I think I just found something, not sure if I'm right but the biometric passports only enable visa-free entry to the US for like 90 days of travel or something. It's not for like long student exchange or study programs there.

Pardon me if I got this wrong.

yes 90 days max. academics etc or jobs etc will need a visa
    chezburgr i can haz?

Yupp... Just fixed up an appointment for the interview to get the visa... Quite a bit of paperwork to be done though... Have you been to US?

Yupp... Just fixed up an appointment for the interview to get the visa... Quite a bit of paperwork to be done though... Have you been to US?
    yup, dont forget to print the form from the embassy webbie, and prepare the cashier's order in exact amount.
    chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    yup, dont forget to print the form from the embassy webbie, and prepare the cashier's order in exact amount.
    Hi there, yupp, all those done, have to bring photocopies of the documents too right?

Hi there, yupp, all those done, have to bring photocopies of the documents too right?
    yes, best to have everything duplicated and all other relevant documents present. they are quite "picky" at times. :mad:
    chezburgr i can haz?

If you forget to duplicate stuff are there like photostating services there?

If you forget to duplicate stuff are there like photostating services there?
    nope!.. super high security there. anyways some stuff just photostat for self keeping bah..
    chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Think it will be best for u to check with ICA!
    Thanks. Will check with them. Likely to be on a business trip to New York next Feb.

Phew... Finally got it done, But have to really bring everything there as per required and pay the required fees beforehand...