Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone can recommend me which brand & model of DSLR to start off with?

Default Re: Anyone can recommend me which brand & model of DSLR to start off with?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    for these 3 cameras,
    no doubt about it, if you are looking for VALUE FOR MONEY, k10d is the way to go

that said, you might not necessarily like it. do take note that every brand has its pros and cons. the prices you are being quoted seems a bit on the high side as well.

k10d
    -only one out of your three choices that has in-body image stabilisation, the IS is solid too
    -can be considered a level-up on the dslr food chain, compared to 400d and d40x to be honest, has a lot more advanced functions if you wish to have room to grow
    -i would bravely say that handling is top-class, not sure about d40x but definitely better than canon 400d for most people
    -pentax lenses across the board are good quality
    -has problems with yellowish cast for indoor shots, but nothing that shooting in raw or setting custom wb cannot solve
    -pentax lenses are hard to find in singapore
    -great low light performance (i.e. relatively clean higher iso @ 400 and 800)

some points you would have to note about 400d, which is also an excellent cam, would be that you should try holding the camera.. what most reviewers have said about the canon entry level dslrs is that they are way too small. which is great for ladies and guys with smaller sized hands, but not everyone is that. also, consumer grade lenses are affordable, but build and optical quality is often.. not as good. if you wish to make large large prints you might have to go for l lens?

for d40x, i would wager that most people would not encourage you to buy it, unless you are willing to pay more in the long term should you wish to obtain more lenses.. the d40x has no built-in autofocus motor.. so you have a limited selection of lenses to choose from. that said, there have been numerous, numerous discussions on this since the day clubsnap was born. ok, just kidding, but do a search, i'm sure you will turn up quite significant amount of threads on stuff like this.
    i disagree abt the low light performance. i tried it with the 35, 50, 70 prime lenses and it hunts quite frequently. but looking at the same price range, i would have get the k10 if i am not looking at a very up to date and comprehensive system.

Default Re: Anyone can recommend me which brand & model of DSLR to start off with?

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    i disagree abt the low light performance. i tried it with the 35, 50, 70 prime lenses and it hunts quite frequently. but looking at the same price range, i would have get the k10 if i am not looking at a very up to date and comprehensive system.
    Not very up to date & comprehensive system? As in? Care to elaborate more bro, cos I am actually considering switching to other system.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

If you do consider a 2nd hand 30D(which is priced ard the same price as 400D),it will outperform the entry level series.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Not very up to date & comprehensive system? As in? Care to elaborate more bro, cos I am actually considering switching to other system.
    i am comparing it to canon and nikon. unless u managed to find the older lenses or u have an existing pentax system, it will tough to getting some of the lenses they have like the primes i have tried. i had to get them for my friend overseas. and some of the better stuff seems to be perpetually out of stock. if u look at their lens roadmap, they do have plans to come out with good stuff but again if u look at the history of pentax, they seem to take forever to actually producing it. look at their mf camera. argh!

i guess alot gotta do with the fact they were in the red before hoya took over so hopefully things improve soon. i was considering pentax but that was one reason i did not.

i am comparing it to canon and nikon. unless u managed to find the older lenses or u have an existing pentax system, it will tough to getting some of the lenses they have like the primes i have tried. i had to get them for my friend overseas. and some of the better stuff seems to be perpetually out of stock. if u look at their lens roadmap, they do have plans to come out with good stuff but again if u look at the history of pentax, they seem to take forever to actually producing it. look at their mf camera. argh!

i guess alot gotta do with the fact they were in the red before hoya took over so hopefully things improve soon. i was considering pentax but that was one reason i did not.
    I see. Thanks for your pointers.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

you could consider the oly e510 too with its twin kit...
    coming from canon camp(entry level 400D though)personally i prefer oly's images over canon's direct from the camera ... and again its personal preference.... only complain.... no vertical grip and only 3fps....
    oh yah, its IS really works and has saved me lots of shots....
    Last edited by blurboiboi; 28th November 2007 at 09:01 PM.

to TS.... go to sitex and have a feel of all the cameras... dun be pressured into buying from the salesman..

go and try out all 3 cameras first... better still, bring your memory cards there and take some pics and go home and see the quality for yourself,
    but this is dependent on the camera setting (like sharping etc) and also the lens that you shoot with....

the feel of the camera is very important... you are using it, so you should feel comfortable with it...
    this is a big decision, as it involves quite a bit of investment, which will likely include more lens and accessories...
    so, think carefully.... cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    I see. Thanks for your pointers.
    not pointers la. just how i see whether it was worth going k or not. similarly, i was looking at sony but they only had the a100 then.

did you not read my post properly? this irritates me, i deliberately included a bracket to show that i was talking about iso and noise, nothing to do with af. and now i have to repeat myself again despite the effort taken to write that down.

do note that i'm a k100d user, and in fact i would even recommend that to the TS, but i guess everyone is too busy chasing megapixels these days

for a primary landscape shooter, i think you will safely say that the af speed is not important. so it depends on what you want. like i've said already, every system has its compromises. you pick and choose what you can live with and what you cannot live with. if you are going to tell me that the two most popular brands are the best possible because a lot of people use them then let me laugh my head off. in a way it's a vicious cycle, as far as i can see. certainly they have their merits, i do not deny that, but to me, they are overrated.
    Last edited by night86mare; 29th November 2007 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    did you not read my post properly? this irritates me, i deliberately included a bracket to show that i was talking about iso and noise, nothing to do with af. and now i have to repeat myself again despite the effort taken to write that down.

do note that i'm a k100d user, and in fact i would even recommend that to the TS, but i guess everyone is too busy chasing megapixels these days

for a primary landscape shooter, i think you will safely say that the af speed is not important. so it depends on what you want. like i've said already, every system has its compromises. you pick and choose what you can live with and what you cannot live with. if you are going to tell me that the two most popular brands are the best possible because a lot of people use them then let me laugh my head off. in a way it's a vicious cycle, as far as i can see. certainly they have their merits, i do not deny that, but to me, they are overrated.
    sorry la. abit **** eye can?

as long as u pick something ur cam is more suitable for, brand doesnt matter la. if u got money to buy hassy, its useless if u shoot sports right?

This is so silly, the lenses you mentioned are not SDM lenses, focussing cannot possibly be fast. It's like saying you cannot get auto focus if you use a manual focus lens on an auto focus body. As for up-to-date system, the K10D specifications stands above the two other camers, which is why it was singled out for many awards. As or it being not comprehensive, it's true in the sense that SDM is new to Pentax when Canon and Nikon were already using it long ago, but the other camera makers do not offer nice pan cake lenses like the 21 and 70, or the superb auto focus 31 and 77, all which I am glad to say I have had the priviledge of using.

For berrune, you must understand that kit lenses are junk, the only kit lens that I would consider to be good is the 14-50mm on the L1/Digilux 3. My basis for saying this is that you will not be considering upgrading anytime soon if you use this package, but I don't mean this package is what you should be looking at.

Regardless of whichever of the 3 cameras you get, there is a likelihood that you will feel the need to upgrade your lens plus a good tilt/swivel flash, this is where you will need to focus on when you buy a DSLR. I say this because most kit lenses are not sufficiently fast for low light photography, and the image quality will often become an issue for users after a while.

List out the cost of getting the 3 bodies without the kit lenses, add a good lens with a focal range where you would most likely likely use 90% of the time, and a tilt/swivel flash. This is where you will most likely be headed to. Do this comparision and the choice becomes clearer.

BUT if you think that you can live with this or that shortcoming, then any camera is good enough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    This is so silly, the lenses you mentioned are not SDM lenses, focussing cannot possibly be fast. It's like saying you cannot get auto focus if you use a manual focus lens on an auto focus body. As for up-to-date system, the K10D specifications stands above the two other camers, which is why it was singled out for many awards. As or it being not comprehensive, it's true in the sense that SDM is new to Pentax when Canon and Nikon were already using it long ago, but the other camera makers do not offer nice pan cake lenses like the 21 and 70, or the superb auto focus 31 and 77, all which I am glad to say I have had the priviledge of using.

For berrune, you must understand that kit lenses are junk, the only kit lens that I would consider to be good is the 14-50mm on the L1/Digilux 3. My basis for saying this is that you will not be considering upgrading anytime soon if you use this package, but I don't mean this package is what you should be looking at.

Regardless of whichever of the 3 cameras you get, there is a likelihood that you will feel the need to upgrade your lens plus a good tilt/swivel flash, this is where you will need to focus on when you buy a DSLR. I say this because most kit lenses are not sufficiently fast for low light photography, and the image quality will often become an issue for users after a while.

List out the cost of getting the 3 bodies without the kit lenses, add a good lens with a focal range where you would most likely likely use 90% of the time, and a tilt/swivel flash. This is where you will most likely be headed to. Do this comparision and the choice becomes clearer.

BUT if you think that you can live with this or that shortcoming, then any camera is good enough for you.
    mind sharing what is so nice abt the pancake lenses? i heard people raving abt it but other than the size, what's the biggest selling point? btw nightmare got it right that i was referring to the hunting in low light. whether it has sdm or not is immaterial.
    Last edited by flipfreak; 29th November 2007 at 09:32 AM.

Pancake lenses allow for unobtrusive shooting simply because camera and body combo is really small. That's an advantage for up close candids or when you want to carry a compact setup.

The K10D is really a lot of camera for the price. The in-body image stabilization, weather-proof construction and tons of features put it far ahead of the other two cameras mentioned. It is a very solid camera feel and handling wise. Any wonder why it has garnered many awards.

However my personal suggestion is not to buy it locally, because the K10D is currently selling for USD620 for body alone. And this is before the current USD100 rebate for US residents. So if you can get someone to buy it from the US, you will save a lot of money. Warranty wise, you can apply for an international warranty.

Sadly local prices haven't come down. The other option is to get someone to buy it from HK, which is a little cheaper. The Pentax kit lens is definitely better constructed compared to that offered by Canon and Nikon. Lens availability wise, it is definitely getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Pancake lenses allow for unobtrusive shooting simply because camera and body combo is really small. That's an advantage for up close candids or when you want to carry a compact setup.

The K10D is really a lot of camera for the price. The in-body image stabilization, weather-proof construction and tons of features put it far ahead of the other two cameras mentioned. It is a very solid camera feel and handling wise. Any wonder why it has garnered many awards.

However my personal suggestion is not to buy it locally, because the K10D is currently selling for USD620 for body alone. And this is before the current USD100 rebate for US residents. So if you can get someone to buy it from the US, you will save a lot of money. Warranty wise, you can apply for an international warranty.

Sadly local prices haven't come down. The other option is to get someone to buy it from HK, which is a little cheaper. The Pentax kit lens is definitely better constructed compared to that offered by Canon and Nikon. Lens availability wise, it is definitely getting better.
    i guess that would be a good selling point if there is a need to shoot without attracting attention. i felt that it was harder to hold the camera normally when the lens was so thin. luckily there is abit of grip on the other side as well and the camera is pretty light.

if shriro will honor the warranty for the body, it is definitely worth getting overseas. only worry is the condition of the camera when it gets here and the efficiency of shriro in aftermkt service.

i guess that would be a good selling point if there is a need to shoot without attracting attention. i felt that it was harder to hold the camera normally when the lens was so thin. luckily there is abit of grip on the other side as well and the camera is pretty light.

if shriro will honor the warranty for the body, it is definitely worth getting overseas. only worry is the condition of the camera when it gets here and the efficiency of shriro in aftermkt service.
    A number of Pentax users (myself included) got our cameras overseas. As far as I can tell, the condition should be ready to shoot out of the box, ie. no problems, at least none in my case. Shriro will honour any Pentax with an overseas warranty within the warranty period. Shriro's service has been no cause for complaints. After all, they did service Nikon for many years in the past.

The big plus of the pancake lens is more of portability, any SLR gets attention.
    My experience with Shirro here has been really good.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    A number of Pentax users (myself included) got our cameras overseas. As far as I can tell, the condition should be ready to shoot out of the box, ie. no problems, at least none in my case. Shriro will honour any Pentax with an overseas warranty within the warranty period. Shriro's service has been no cause for complaints. After all, they did service Nikon for many years in the past.
    i am worried abt during the trip here. the handling by the delivery, etc etc actually.

what kind of savings are we looking at for overseas purchase? i got the 35 n 70 for 1k overseas.

The big plus of the pancake lens is more of portability, any SLR gets attention.
    My experience with Shirro here has been really good.
    true. availability of accessories locally are upsetting though.

mind sharing what is so nice abt the pancake lenses? i heard people raving abt it but other than the size, what's the biggest selling point? btw nightmare got it right that i was referring to the hunting in low light. whether it has sdm or not is immaterial.
    Question. Have you tried focussing using the K10D and another camera, e.g. the 400D or D40x using the same type of lens, maybe those sigma or tokina ones that are equal in all counts, no swm/sdm/usm, to shoot?

sdm lenses focusses faster than the pentax lenses than uses the in camera body motor that focusses, and it gives a less pronounced feel of the lens moving back and forth, so you won't think that the camera is hunting. contrast and texture is also important, as well as the type of auto focus options selected.

Question. Have you tried focussing using the K10D and another camera, e.g. the 400D or D40x using the same type of lens, maybe those sigma or tokina ones that are equal in all counts, no swm/sdm/usm, to shoot?

sdm lenses focusses faster than the pentax lenses than uses the in camera body motor that focusses, and it gives a less pronounced feel of the lens moving back and forth, so you won't think that the camera is hunting. contrast and texture is also important, as well as the type of auto focus options selected.
    nah. dun have the luxury of running such shootouts yet. only got one friend who has the 400D and she is using the kit lens and she just totalled her 50mm f/1.8.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast