Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Cities of the Underworld

  1. #1

    Default Cities of the Underworld

    Im currently enjoying the season1 of Cities of the Underworld series run on History Channel, anyone else?

    Singapore have any hidden-from-public-view or long forgotten stuff?
    (besides the obvious like mrt, cte, kpe...)
    or South East Asia?


    Tokyo
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    sewers and WW2 tunnels

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Tokyo one looks amazing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Sealed up tunnels in Bukit Timah Hill.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  5. #5

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Sealed up tunnels in Bukit Timah Hill.
    oh? got more info?

    i only knew they had that Hindhede quarry when they mined granite? (correct me if im wrong)
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  6. #6
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    oh? got more info?

    i only knew they had that Hindhede quarry when they mined granite? (correct me if im wrong)
    Trying to recall the route....I think it is the first side route from the entrance, you won't miss it. Two sealed tunnel if not wrong.

    There is another route which is hidden along the treking track from Macmichi to Bukit Timah Hill, where there is a longkang leading right into the forest, which you can witness a small sort of waterfall created by steps. Very cool location.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  7. #7

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    i think bukit mah hill got alot of entrances, one from hindhede side, and another from mcritchie nature reserve i think.

    i think i havent been to ur described entrances yet.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  8. #8
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    i think bukit mah hill got alot of entrances, one from hindhede side, and another from mcritchie nature reserve i think.

    i think i havent been to ur described entrances yet.
    ....need to see the map to remember. Can post the map here, I can show you?

    There are places which not accessible to public. Need guts to go in.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  9. #9

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    ....need to see the map to remember. Can post the map here, I can show you?

    There are places which not accessible to public. Need guts to go in.


    is there actually a bukit timah map? lol
    i go google for it first...
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  10. #10
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    is there actually a bukit timah map? lol
    i go google for it first...
    Look for bukit timah reserve. I think.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  11. #11

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    is this good enough? not sure if it's up to date... got it from here
    http://www.nparks.gov.sg/nature_bukit_hiking.asp


    [Click to view a larger version]
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  12. #12
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    is this good enough? not sure if it's up to date... got it from here
    http://www.nparks.gov.sg/nature_bukit_hiking.asp


    [Click to view a larger version]
    Good enough...Go along the green path from the visitor entrance...you should able to see the sealed tunnels.

    If you go to the end of the catchment path, you will see big sewage pipings.
    Beside the pipings, there is a natural made reservior hidden within the trees. Where you will be able to see fishes swimming in clear water. It's very refreshing.

    I always visit the area every quater to take pictures.
    Last edited by phoakm; 28th November 2007 at 04:11 PM.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  13. #13

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    An interesting underground city would be the underground cities in Pioneer Square, Seattle.

    Visited it a few weeks back, and gosh, it's amazing (although not as amazing as the Tokyo ones though).

  14. #14
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    One more thing if you turn right from the end of the catchment path, and walk along the way, most probably you will reach bukit panjang, I think.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  15. #15

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Good enough...Go along the green path from the visitor entrance...you should able to see the sealed tunnels.

    If you go to the end of the catchment path, you will see big sewage pipings.
    Beside the pipings, there is a natural made reservior hidden within the trees. Where you will be able to see fishes swimming in clear water. It's very refreshing.

    I always visit the area every quater to take pictures.
    Erm...u mentioned two sealed tunnels, both at the same spot?
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  16. #16

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Quote Originally Posted by SNAG View Post
    An interesting underground city would be the underground cities in Pioneer Square, Seattle.

    Visited it a few weeks back, and gosh, it's amazing (although not as amazing as the Tokyo ones though).
    Seattle has underground cities? modern or forgotten ones?
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  17. #17
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Erm...u mentioned two sealed tunnels, both at the same spot?
    Er, a distance a part.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  18. #18

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Er, a distance a part.
    oic...so in the same area, but visibly a distance apart? i remember seeing a photo
    of the tunnel online somewhere before, like those locked green gates at labrador...but i cant
    find those photos online anymore.

    I may go take a look, and take some photos for safekeeping.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  19. #19
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    oic...so in the same area, but visibly a distance apart? i remember seeing a photo
    of the tunnel online somewhere before, like those locked green gates at labrador...but i cant
    find those photos online anymore.

    I may go take a look, and take some photos for safekeeping.
    quite a distance apart actually (few hundred meters apart)
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  20. #20

    Default Re: Cities of the Underworld

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    quite a distance apart actually (few hundred meters apart)
    Ah ok thanks for the info!

    Here's some other underground areas in singapore.
    (googled)

    Accessible ones

    Battlebox at Fort Canning

    Labrador Park Tunnels
    ( http://infopedia.nlb.gov.sg/articles...005-01-25.html )

    Fort Siloso (large area has closed out of bounds)



    Ones that are neither here nor there, accessible with difficulty

    NUS library basement (there is right for book storage? anyone can confirm it exists? haha)

    Singapore poly has some? (again this is hard to prove, mostly hearsay)

    Marsiling storm drains

    Sembawang mini bomb shelters near those old colonial houses

    Some former forts/gun emplacements on Sentosa
    ( see http://www.fortsiloso.com/ )


    Not accessible at all by general public

    The UAF in Bukit Timah

    JRC on Jurong Island

    T.A.B (heard there's lots...haha...but yah...dun post sensitive info here pls.)

    Pearl's Hill Reservior (is there something under the hill?)

    Katong Fort (dug and found, buried again. :P)



    If anyone has any historical info, feel free to share. If it's too sensitive, you can PM me info. Good to gather Singapore's past and present history, before they are all gone.
    Im sure there are other avid historical/architecture/abandonments buffs here as well.
    (i know there's at least 3, including me. haa)
    Last edited by sbs99; 28th November 2007 at 06:15 PM.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •