Thread: File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

Default File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

Hi all, I have a question regarding usage of a 2nd body to cover an event.

Let's say you have a 1D with a 17-40 mounted as your primary body, and a 20D with a 70-200 mounted as your second body for longer reach, and you shoot your event with both camera bodies, interchanging when the situation calls for wider lens or longer reach respectively.

File numbering on both cameras will overlap in the end, so how do you get around this when doing a final archive?

Default Re: File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

During the downloading, would you be able to choose what numbers it starts at? How about adding an alphabet in front of one of the card's download?
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post

Let's say you have a 1D with a 17-40 mounted as your primary body, and a 20D with a 70-200 mounted as your second body for longer reach, and you shoot your event with both camera bodies, interchanging when the situation calls for wider lens or longer reach respectively.

File numbering on both cameras will overlap in the end, so how do you get around this when doing a final archive?
    Not sure with Canon, but I can name the prefix on my camera itself to prevent such issues.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

wat i do is i make sure the time-min-sec of both camera is the same. (change the time of both cam and press set/ok together)

I will copy all the files to (eg Raw1(CF card 1) , Raw2(CF card 2) etc . Then use Lightroom to import and rename it.

Er... Doesn't the Canon 1 series have their own unique ID on the filename? The 1st 4 Alphabet in front of the filename is the ID of the camera body while the last 4 digit is the running number. So you will have 10K filename and its repeats all over if you reach XXXX9999.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    Er... Doesn't the Canon 1 series have their own unique ID on the filename? The 1st 4 Alphabet in front of the filename is the ID of the camera body while the last 4 digit is the running number. So you will have 10K filename and its repeats all over if you reach XXXX9999.
    I'm sorry, I was giving an example of bodies. I don't own a 1D so I don't know about that.

So far I think the most feasible is to batch rename the photos from each card with a prefix, so they'll drop into place in sequence.

I'm sorry, I was giving an example of bodies. I don't own a 1D so I don't know about that.

So far I think the most feasible is to batch rename the photos from each card with a prefix, so they'll drop into place in sequence.
    Its OK, Previously I DL the photos using CameraWindows (Provided by Canon) where I can choose the file name prefix. Thats the easiest way.

do you need all files (from two bodies) to be chronological orders?

if yes, synchronize the clock of two bodies, make a main folder with two sub folders, load images from two CF into each sub folder, find a freeware able to do bulk rename within sub folders and display all the files by chronological orders.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    do you need all files (from two bodies) to be chronological orders?

if yes, synchronize the clock of two bodies, make a main folder with two sub folders, load images from two CF into each sub folder, find a freeware able to do bulk rename within sub folders and display all the files by chronological orders.
    Ahh. Yes I need them to be in chronological order. Thanks so much for the info.

Have finished shooting for the event. It was a major headache doing file management at the end of each day, but it was quite worth it, saving time spent changing lenses and subsequently missing less shots.