Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

    Hi all, I have a question regarding usage of a 2nd body to cover an event.

    Let's say you have a 1D with a 17-40 mounted as your primary body, and a 20D with a 70-200 mounted as your second body for longer reach, and you shoot your event with both camera bodies, interchanging when the situation calls for wider lens or longer reach respectively.

    File numbering on both cameras will overlap in the end, so how do you get around this when doing a final archive?

  2. #2

    Default Re: File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

    During the downloading, would you be able to choose what numbers it starts at? How about adding an alphabet in front of one of the card's download?
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Hi all, I have a question regarding usage of a 2nd body to cover an event.

    Let's say you have a 1D with a 17-40 mounted as your primary body, and a 20D with a 70-200 mounted as your second body for longer reach, and you shoot your event with both camera bodies, interchanging when the situation calls for wider lens or longer reach respectively.

    File numbering on both cameras will overlap in the end, so how do you get around this when doing a final archive?
    Not sure with Canon, but I can name the prefix on my camera itself to prevent such issues.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    4,532

    Default Re: File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Hi all, I have a question regarding usage of a 2nd body to cover an event.

    Let's say you have a 1D with a 17-40 mounted as your primary body, and a 20D with a 70-200 mounted as your second body for longer reach, and you shoot your event with both camera bodies, interchanging when the situation calls for wider lens or longer reach respectively.

    File numbering on both cameras will overlap in the end, so how do you get around this when doing a final archive?
    wat i do is i make sure the time-min-sec of both camera is the same. (change the time of both cam and press set/ok together)

    I will copy all the files to (eg Raw1(CF card 1) , Raw2(CF card 2) etc . Then use Lightroom to import and rename it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

    Er... Doesn't the Canon 1 series have their own unique ID on the filename? The 1st 4 Alphabet in front of the filename is the ID of the camera body while the last 4 digit is the running number. So you will have 10K filename and its repeats all over if you reach XXXX9999.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    Er... Doesn't the Canon 1 series have their own unique ID on the filename? The 1st 4 Alphabet in front of the filename is the ID of the camera body while the last 4 digit is the running number. So you will have 10K filename and its repeats all over if you reach XXXX9999.
    I'm sorry, I was giving an example of bodies. I don't own a 1D so I don't know about that.

    So far I think the most feasible is to batch rename the photos from each card with a prefix, so they'll drop into place in sequence.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I'm sorry, I was giving an example of bodies. I don't own a 1D so I don't know about that.

    So far I think the most feasible is to batch rename the photos from each card with a prefix, so they'll drop into place in sequence.
    Its OK, Previously I DL the photos using CameraWindows (Provided by Canon) where I can choose the file name prefix. Thats the easiest way.

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

    do you need all files (from two bodies) to be chronological orders?

    if yes, synchronize the clock of two bodies, make a main folder with two sub folders, load images from two CF into each sub folder, find a freeware able to do bulk rename within sub folders and display all the files by chronological orders.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    do you need all files (from two bodies) to be chronological orders?

    if yes, synchronize the clock of two bodies, make a main folder with two sub folders, load images from two CF into each sub folder, find a freeware able to do bulk rename within sub folders and display all the files by chronological orders.
    Ahh. Yes I need them to be in chronological order. Thanks so much for the info.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: File Numbering w/ 2nd Body

    Have finished shooting for the event. It was a major headache doing file management at the end of each day, but it was quite worth it, saving time spent changing lenses and subsequently missing less shots.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •