Thread: fish eye vs wide angle lens

Default fish eye vs wide angle lens

Hi,
    I'm wondering if assuming I'm to buy either a fish eye or wide angle lens, which one is more useful?

Even for wide angle lens, would a prime lens (20 or 24mm) or a zoom (17-35mm) be more useful?

Thank you.

fisheye will only give u those "rounded" pics . expensive and special purpose unless u really get a kick out of viewing "rounded" pics

wideangle usually means "rectilinear" ie not those "rounded" pics

there r
    1. lower quality wideangle zooms eg 18-35mm/3.5-4.5. cheaper, convenient to use, but not impressive optically
    2. high quality wideangle zooms eg 17-35mm/2.8 expensive, convenient to use, and impressive optically
    3. wide angle primes eg 24mm/2.8. not so cheap, not so expensive, not too convenient to use ,but impressive optically

so it really depends on your own taste
    Last edited by clive; 11th May 2003 at 12:16 PM.

Originally posted by clive

fisheye will only give u those "rounded" pics . expensive and special purpose unless u really get a kick out of viewing "rounded" pics

unless it is a full frame fisheye lens.... i.e Nikon 16mm, Canon 15mm, Sigma 15mm lenses. These will still you a full frame pic with 180 degree field of view.

for Circular Fish-Eye you are looking at something like the Sigma 8mm, Nikon 6mm or 8mm for example. These will give the rounded pic.

I can't wait till I get myself another full frame fisheye lens.
    Last edited by james m; 11th May 2003 at 05:12 PM.

what's the difference between full frame and circular fish eye, in terms of the picture they produce. Better still, could you post some pic or some url to demonstrate the picture they produce?

example of Circular Fisheye

example of Full frame fisheye

wonderful. Thank you. It is certainly very helpful.