Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Vitacon 0.45X conversion lens new at $180 - did I get ripped off?

Default New Vitacon 0.45X conversion lens new at $180 - did I get ripped off?

I just got a Vitacon wide angle conversion lens for $180, somehow got the feeling I have been ripped off, I was looking to buy a nikon wide angle lens, the guy in the shop told me that is too expensive and recommended me to get the conversion instead. What is the usual price for a new conversion lens like this? Vitacon 0.45X with Macro 67mm. Please let me know if i have been ripped off so if i have i can go back tomorrow and exchange it for something else. Please advise. Thanks.

Default Re: New Vitacon 0.45X conversion lens new at $180 - did I get ripped off?

I definitely think you got ripped off. Not only is the Vitacon image quality horrible, but it costs a lot less than that. I'm guessing you bought it on sim lim or orchard road?
    Alpha

Default Re: New Vitacon 0.45X conversion lens new at $180 - did I get ripped off?

no peninsula. **** should I go back and ask for a change?

Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by wxwayne View Post
    no peninsula. **** should I go back and ask for a change?
    Good luck... I don't think they'll let you.
    Alpha

Anyone else knows how much they usually cost?

I don't get it. You have internet access, you know of clubsnap, you have posted here before, yet you couldn't post beforehand to ask how much it usually cost before purchasing it. Only after getting it you decided to ask if your price is good.

It was a mistake, I had meant to get another lens which cost alot more, then the salesman recommended this to me saying its much cheaper so I guess I didnt know what I was thinking. Not very smart I agree.

u get 180 i got mine for 299 loh i heard can report to case if u buy within a week , but b4 that u can go ask the saleman if can refund or not..

Anyone else knows how much they usually cost?

$98 i was told

omg , thats like double, I am so going back, but he was a nice guy, too nice i think now, so what did u do on your side? did u go back and give them hell?

I think I will change it for another lens if cant refund.

is it silver color with lens mount 52mm thread? the image quality is very bad. bought mine long ago, 2nd hand, so only $10. but still heart pain. a piece of useless junk.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

nope its black in colour, 37mm thread, i checked online, they selling it for $98 on ebay, the image quality is ok from a few shots, but theres vignetting at the edges, I dunno why when i tried it there it didnt show up on the viewfinder!

In any case, i m paying almost double! I will just go down tmr and be nice and try to exchange it for a prime lens which I was also thinking of getting at the same price, but he persuaded me to get this when i asked him about wide angle lens, tsk I should have just stuck to my original plan and just get the prime lens but he was very nice and I got sidetracked.

Ok update, I went back and confronted the guy about the cost and he was willing to change to a 0.5x conversion lens, throw in a 2GB card and refund me $35 back but I decided to change to a prime lens the nikon 50mm/f1.8 lens, he refused me the change at first until i coughed out $35 more which is a rip off in any case becos other shops are selling the lens at $175 and with the additional $35 I would pay be paying $220 which is a good $45 more, but I didnt want to create a scene so I paid up. Just to warn everyone the shop is De-Luxe Cameras at Peninsula Plaza the same building as Cathay. Dishonest shop.

Ok update, I went back and confronted the guy about the cost and he was willing to change to a 0.5x conversion lens, throw in a 2GB card and refund me $35 back but I decided to change to a prime lens the nikon 50mm/f1.8 lens, he refused me the change at first until i coughed out $35 more which is a rip off in any case becos other shops are selling the lens at $175 and with the additional $35 I would pay be paying $220 which is a good $45 more, but I didnt want to create a scene so I paid up. Just to warn everyone the shop is De-Luxe Cameras at Peninsula Plaza the same building as Cathay. Dishonest shop.
    Oh good lord, there's a LOT of warnings about this shop, even on Google!!!

AND THEN YOU EVEN PAID THEM MORE MONEY???? You should have gotten it at standard price! If he wants more money, you should tell him that you will take it to CASE.

Can I open a camera shop and offer you special deals too?

Oh, I suggest you read this:
    http://app.mti.gov.sg/default.asp?id=565#8

Relevant quote:
    "MTI has gazetted regulations to allow for cancellation of time share and direct sales contracts within a 3-day cooling off period (excluding Sat, Sun and public holidays). The cooling off period is specifically targeted at situations where the consumer is subjected to high-pressure sale tactics."
    Alpha

Bringing it to CASE would be too much of a hassle for $50 so I decided just take it as a lesson learnt. Just want to warn everyone against the shop. I was just asking for the price of a wide angle lens and I was about to leave when he started to offer me the teleconverter, insisting it was the same thing, well I can only blame it on my gullibility. Remember guys, its
    De-Luxe Cameras at Peninsula. Dishonest with a capital D.

Bringing it to CASE would be too much of a hassle for $50 so I decided just take it as a lesson learnt. Just want to warn everyone against the shop. I was just asking for the price of a wide angle lens and I was about to leave when he started to offer me the teleconverter, insisting it was the same thing, well I can only blame it on my gullibility. Remember guys, its
    Bro,

Next time, check in here b4 you go out and buy anything. Raynox has very good optics for wide and tele and macro lenses too. www.raynox.com

Go to the Mass Order Thread under Marketplace and look for Jim McGill. He brings in the Raynox products. I used to own the DCR-6600PRO 0.66x wide angle lens to use with my Canon S2IS and it gave good results
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

You should make a scene if you have to. Sometimes the excessive use of loud words is the only way to get through the thick skull of certain people, so don't be shy to do it.

Feel sorry for u, but things done cannot be undone, I guess going back and forth will cost u even more time and effort. On the silverlining, $45 is pretty cheap on buying a lesson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast