Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [News]Five bodies found in Cambodia after boating accident.

Deregistered

Default Re: [News]Five bodies found in Cambodia after boating accident.

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Any idea why they were not wearing life jackets ?

My condolences to the family of the dead.
    Life jackets will hinder movements. Most international teams don't wear them so i reckon the S'pore teams don't want to be at a disadvantage during the race by wearing them. (my own deduction) Not easy for a dragon boat to capsize so i guess the current must be real strong.

My deepest condolences to their families.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    Life jackets will hinder movements. Most international teams don't wear them so i reckon the S'pore teams don't want to be at a disadvantage during the race by wearing them. (my own deduction) Not easy for a dragon boat to capsize so i guess the current must be real strong.

My deepest condolences to their families.
    #1 ..its not an excuse for not wearing the lifejacket during race..as the rules n regulation has already made clear.
    #2 ..the current at that specific point is extremely strong cuz both normal water n salt water combines at that particular point.
    #3 ..That's y during the race...all boats will have a mini speedboat to towing them back....but then,halfway thru,they wanted to row back to the starting point by themselves
    #3 ..All the boat that they use for the race are slightly short n narrow,compare to the normal one...and its already 10yrs old.....

so juz imagine.......
    Last edited by arttitude13; 28th November 2007 at 11:17 AM.

pattie @ arttitude13:bigeyes:

My eyes turned all watery seeing the news footage of their parents/family & reading abt their parents/family... I very sad to see & read abt that part, in the religious ritual, the younger brother of Chee Wei Zhen, calls out for his brother's soul to return...

Thanks for sharing with us.

frankly, the lifejacket thing, whilst good to raise, is a red herring.. looking at the conditions there, the freaking pontoon was 50 metres long. even if you wear a life jacket, if the current pulls you undere the pontoon, theres no way you are going to last long enough under water to get to the other side.

the whole condition of having such a long pontoon, in a river with strong current, is already ineherently dangerous.

dunno why no one has raised this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12