Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What is DPI??

  1. #1
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default What is DPI??

    Hi Guys,

    I will like to know, if my vendor printer says that they want a picture of resolution 300 dpi...what does he mean?

    It equivalent to how many mega pix in a digital photo?
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bukit Timah
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: What is DPI??

    The DPI is a printing resolution. The higher the DPI, the better the resolution of the print. The DSLRs usually have a DPI of 300 or more.

    For more information, you can see Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch
    Nikon D80|Nikon 18-135 AF-S DX|Nikon 70-300 AF|Nikon 50 f/1.4 AFD|Nikon SB-800|Canon IXUS 70

  3. #3
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: What is DPI??

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryOng View Post
    The DPI is a printing resolution. The higher the DPI, the better the resolution of the print. The DSLRs usually have a DPI of 300 or more.

    For more information, you can see Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch
    How about a prosumer camera like Canon S5 IS, dose it produce 300DPI images with it's 8 mega pix?
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  4. #4

    Default Re: What is DPI??

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    How about a prosumer camera like Canon S5 IS, dose it produce 300DPI images with it's 8 mega pix?
    Hmm, can set the dpi in Photoshop when you go to "Image Size". And most of the time, i resize according to some standards here. Learned about it when i help my friend do his ROM shooting and realise the importance of it. Heng ah, i do some printing myself first to check. Hehe.

    Here is the link for the standard size@300 dpi

    http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthrea...n+for+printing

    Post #9.
    Last edited by Yapster; 25th November 2007 at 01:45 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: What is DPI??

    Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    Hmm, can set the dpi in Photoshop when you go to "Image Size". And most of the time, i resize according to some standards here. Learned about it when i help my friend do his ROM shooting and realise the importance of it. Heng ah, i do some printing myself first to check. Hehe.

    Here is the link for the standard size@300 dpi

    http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthrea...n+for+printing

    Post #9.
    Thanks Bro, this link is very helpful.
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  6. #6
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: What is DPI??

    Another question, is Pixel per inch = dot per inch ?

    If I right click on a photo using Windows, and under the summary tab, I am able to see the DPI in the x & y resolution, what does this indicate? What measurement does windows based on to get the DPI?

    Thank you.
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  7. #7

    Default Re: What is DPI??

    Welcome man, i also can learn along the way ma.

    Here's a quick search on some links on "Resolution for Printing". Maybe can find more info here.

    http://forums.clubsnap.com/search.php?searchid=5335771

  8. #8

    Default Re: What is DPI??

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    Another question, is Pixel per inch = dot per inch ?

    If I right click on a photo using Windows, and under the summary tab, I am able to see the DPI in the x & y resolution, what does this indicate? What measurement does windows based on to get the DPI?

    Thank you.
    Wah... this part a bit "chim"... Haha, paiseh, can't help much on the question.

    Hehe, let's wait for some "sinseh" to help here.

  9. #9
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: What is DPI??

    Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    Wah... this part a bit "chim"... Haha, paiseh, can't help much on the question.

    Hehe, let's wait for some "sinseh" to help here.
    Thanks for the link, bro. After some reading...

    The x & y resolution (dpi) quoted is not from Windows, but from the software that the image was last saved.
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  10. #10

    Default Re: What is DPI??

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    Thanks for the link, bro. After some reading...

    The x & y resolution (dpi) quoted is not from Windows, but from the software that the image was last saved.
    Welcome~ Thanks for the info as well~

  11. #11
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: What is DPI??

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I will like to know, if my vendor printer says that they want a picture of resolution 300 dpi...what does he mean?

    It equivalent to how many mega pix in a digital photo?
    DPI is for printing, so it tells you how many dots can the printer squeeze in to 1 sq inch.

    info of PPI

    so you take 300 multiply the dimension of print you want to make, so you will get the image size for printing with optimum results.

    eg. 300ppi for a 4R (4" x 6") lab print is 1200 pixel by 1800 pixel (300x4, 300x6), so a 2.1 MP (1800x1200=2.16M) camera is able to produce a decent 4R print.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •