Thread: what lens to choose??

Default what lens to choose??

Hi, newbie to DSLR here.

I'm looking for lens to shoot portraits, landscape, events and candids. Wondering which lens should I choose. I'm currently looking at EF 28-135mm IS USM and EF-S 17-85 IS USM. I'm using canon 30D. Please advice me.. Thanks

Regards
    winson

Default Re: what lens to choose??

You're looking for a "magic" lens...

Sure, you can do all that with the 17-85. But it'll be a "compromise" lens... I.E., it'll get the job done, but won't be as good as a 50mm or 85mm f/1.4 at portraits, etc...
    Alpha

i agree.. i'm new to DSLR too.. so have been shooting with the kit lens which is 18-135mm f/3.5. but when i got myself a 50mm prime, the sharpness and DOF were fantastic! something a 18-135mm cant achieve. of course given my lack of experience and skill. if a pro uses a 18-135mm, he'll probably be able to achieve an equivalent result with a 50mm.

i understand the hassle of having to change the lens when u require different result. but i think its quite impossible to get an "all-rounder" lens. there's something u gotta compromise.

i'm thinking of getting a wide-angle lens and probably be able to last with that three lenses. the three sort of cover most of the general requirement. if i'm not wrong, a 50mm prime can be used to shoot close up(macro), using a reverse ring.

just my 2cents worth..

For portaits... so far... from my limited knowledge... you need a sharp lense and a shallow DOF...

With an aperture of 3.5 you might not get enough emphasis on the part of the face which u want... or worst some of the background might be too "clear" and become distracting...

using a canon 30D you can make use of the advantage given to te APS-C sensors by using 1.4 or at least 2.0 apertures...

If possible try out the lens from some of the gatherings if the fellows Cser let you most are willing to let u fiddle around with it. if you think using a 3.5 is good enough then its ok lor

i'm using a 4/3 systems... so no matter wat... sigh... DOF will always lose out lar
    Last edited by viewwing; 25th November 2007 at 10:13 AM.
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

Hi,if you are planning to shoot in low light conditions i.e wedding dinner,dinner, whateva - u need a bigger aperture such as F/2.8
    If u do not have the budget for a F/2.8 lens(canon f/2.8 lens retails for almost $1k apiece) u can get the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8
    The build quality is good and even though the tele range is lesser than the other 2 lens u were considering,it is worth it.

hi to all,

Thanks to all the people who reply. Really appreciate people who are willing to spend time to share information, knowledge and experience. That's very nice.

Regards
    Winson

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    i agree.. i'm new to DSLR too.. so have been shooting with the kit lens which is 18-135mm f/3.5. but when i got myself a 50mm prime, the sharpness and DOF were fantastic! something a 18-135mm cant achieve. of course given my lack of experience and skill. if a pro uses a 18-135mm, he'll probably be able to achieve an equivalent result with a 50mm.

i understand the hassle of having to change the lens when u require different result. but i think its quite impossible to get an "all-rounder" lens. there's something u gotta compromise.

i'm thinking of getting a wide-angle lens and probably be able to last with that three lenses. the three sort of cover most of the general requirement. if i'm not wrong, a 50mm prime can be used to shoot close up(macro), using a reverse ring.

just my 2cents worth..
    if u shoot @ the telephoto end and wide open, u might be able to get pretty decent bokeh..

that being said, DOF depends on the focal length and aperture (did i miss out any). Telephoto typically gives u a stronger (not necessarily better) bokeh effect. Not very sure what else affects the shape of the bokeh besides the number of aperture blades?

Quote Originally Posted by ceecookie View Post
    Hi,if you are planning to shoot in low light conditions i.e wedding dinner,dinner, whateva - u need a bigger aperture such as F/2.8
    If u do not have the budget for a F/2.8 lens(canon f/2.8 lens retails for almost $1k apiece) u can get the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8
    The build quality is good and even though the tele range is lesser than the other 2 lens u were considering,it is worth it.
    in low light, f/2.8 is not enough. You need a flash or bigger aperture like f/1.8 , f/1.4 and lower. =)

Quote Originally Posted by viewwing View Post
    For portaits... so far... from my limited knowledge... you need a sharp lense and a shallow DOF...

With an aperture of 3.5 you might not get enough emphasis on the part of the face which u want... or worst some of the background might be too "clear" and become distracting...

using a canon 30D you can make use of the advantage given to te APS-C sensors by using 1.4 or at least 2.0 apertures...

If possible try out the lens from some of the gatherings if the fellows Cser let you most are willing to let u fiddle around with it. if you think using a 3.5 is good enough then its ok lor

i'm using a 4/3 systems... so no matter wat... sigh... DOF will always lose out lar
    for portraits to be sharp and crisp, a prime len is the choice. like 85mm f/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by winson_ksk View Post
    Hi, newbie to DSLR here.

I'm looking for lens to shoot portraits, landscape, events and candids. Wondering which lens should I choose. I'm currently looking at EF 28-135mm IS USM and EF-S 17-85 IS USM. I'm using canon 30D. Please advice me.. Thanks

Regards
    winson
    if i shoot mainly landscapes, i would prefer the 17-85mm. 17mm on a 1.6x sensor would still give me a wide perspective compared to 28mm on a 1.6x sensor. =)

as for portraits, both lens can cover the 85mm range.

hi,

as for the prime lens, I'll be getting the 50mm F2.8, which is cheap and good to start out with. Feel the excitement everytime when i mention about cameras stuffs... ahhahaa
    thanks once again..

Regards
    Winson

Quote Originally Posted by winson_ksk View Post
    hi,

as for the prime lens, I'll be getting the 50mm F2.8, which is cheap and good to start out with. Feel the excitement everytime when i mention about cameras stuffs... ahhahaa
    thanks once again..

Regards
    Winson
    should f/1.8, correct me if i am wrong. =)

ohh... ya ..is f1.8 hahaha..sorry about the mistake..hehee

Thanks

Regards
    Winson

np man. =)