Thread: D100 vs S2 Pro vs D60 Comments Needed.

Default D100 vs S2 Pro vs D60 Comments Needed.

3 very similar DSLRs in the same category. I'm bad at DSLRs, have not followed them like some of you guys do. Basically, a low budget film guy. I need some information abt this 3 bodies for comparison. I am considering a switch to DSLR. Any help ? Especially those who have used all 3... which is better. Please pay a tad bit more info between D100 and S2pro since I'm using a Nikon System. Thank you.

http://www.bythom.com/

Check here for detailed information.

Alternatively check here.
    http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
    Last edited by Kaprikon; 9th May 2003 at 05:43 PM.

Do a search on the forum.

Default Re: D100 vs S2 Pro vs D60 Comments Needed.

Originally posted by marcwang
    3 very similar DSLRs in the same category. I'm bad at DSLRs, have not followed them like some of you guys do. Basically, a low budget film guy. I need some information abt this 3 bodies for comparison. I am considering a switch to DSLR. Any help ? Especially those who have used all 3... which is better. Please pay a tad bit more info between D100 and S2pro since I'm using a Nikon System. Thank you.
    S2 is purely F80 body while D100 is a hybrid design although also based on F80. Suggest u check out the comparison done at www.bythom.com

Hi,

I was a Nikon F80 user at one point in time. When I moved to a DSLR, after much deliberation I purchased a S2 pro, used it for a while before finally moving to Canon 10D. I also had some fleeting experince with D100.

My frank opinion is that interms of image quality S2 pro is the best. The only disadvantage that I felt was the battery issue, of having to use two sets of batteries and short life of Metal Hydride in comparison to Lithium.

Since I am still a very casual photo enthusiast, other aspects like absence of a vertical grip etc. did not seem not very relevant.

In comparison, D100 & now 10D fade a shade in terms of image quality. Here, I am referring to straight out of the camera images...they are crisp, clear & vibrant - and always correctly exposed.

In 10D, metering is not as good as S2 pro. With S2 pro, I never had to bother with checking the histogram (for exposure verification) - I almost always have to do that for all the indoor shots with 10D. Nikon's matrix metering (in s2 pro)is a blessing..

If I may reverse my decision, I would rather liked to have stayed with S2 pro.

My very very personal opinion.

Thanks

I've got access and shot with all 3 10D the D100 and the S2 pro.

I would say the S2 pro is the best camera for sharpness and color of pictures. (needing the least post processing)

Robustness goes to the 10D hands down. The magnesium body feels solid and the trigger is 'snappy' love the feel for the camera. However the lag time on startup and from sleep is really unacceptable. Neither the D100 nor the S2 pro suffer from it and its quite disappointing that canon's 3rd offering for a midrange dslr has this problem.

Metering is tied between the S2 and D100. Metering on either of these cameras isn't perfect 100% of the time but it mostly accurate. ie I've shot the 10D and my D100 side by side on manual mode and my D100 pictures are better. Same day same time same amount of light.

It COULD be just the particular 10D that I borrowed (serial no: 43xxx) but I found that the 10D was consistantly over exposing by 1.5stops. Another photographer whom I know has a second batch 10D and also has this problem.

Biggest problem about the S2 pro is the weird battery problem if you can live with that its the best camera to get.(picture-wise) I couldn't so I got the D100.

To canon's credit they have pushed the bar again with the 10D. The buffer is huge and i hardly notice the slow write speed. 1221k/sec (10D) vs the 2015k/sec (D100) I'm using lexars 512 24X WA and data is taken from robgalbraith's CF database.

In fact i feel the d100 is slower because of the tiny buffer in it. All in all its really what sort of applications you use it for.

Robustness/Speed of shooting-Canon 10D
    Picture quality(color/sharpness)-S2 pro
    Contrast/Battery life-D100

Hope that helps a bit.

Among the 3 I tried, D100's responsiveness (esp. in playback/review) is the fastest. 10D and S2 is kinda slow. Colour wise, S2 Pro straight out of camera is probably the best. D100 need some tweak to get the best out of it. 10D, dunno. Some have back focus/front focus problems, amongst others.

Regards
    CK

Had played with the the S2 and D100. Opinions are similar to others but below are the reasons why I chose the S2 over D100.

S2 has the best out-of-camera pics and to me min. post processing is good. I def. dunt want to photoshop every 2000+ pics from each trip.

S2 can use normal AA batt. A blessing if you intend to travel aka backpacking style. You would have little opportunity to charge your batt; eg. no power point in low budget Nepalese teahouses, def. dunt want to leave your batt ard. if you stay in a 24 man dom. I used to travel with loads of films, now I travel with boxes of AA batts.

S2 can take your usual non-D flashes like the SB-28. Buy good flashes like the SB-24, SB-26 at rock bottom prices and yet get excellent performance.

Yes, D100 have better responses (noticeable but not significant), but it doesnt bother me much cos 99% of my subjects dunt move much.

I like holding the D100 better, but well...you cant have everything.
    Last edited by cyanbloodbane; 9th May 2003 at 09:33 PM.

FYI.
    D100 with MB-D100 accepts Alkaline AA batteries but not Ni-MH.
    Tried with Duracell Alkaline I can shoot 512mB CF full then the batteries went bonkers and lock the shutter after few more shoots.
    Custom tone curve with NC3 is blessing for D100.
    W204FL

Originally posted by Knighthunter
    Custom tone curve with NC3 is blessing for D100.
    Which one did you use?

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang
    Which one did you use?

Regards
    CK
    Use from Klause series last time but I tweak it again myself based on trial and error.....now I like my setting but sometime the highlight is blown....need to do fine tuning again but lazy...
    W204FL

a little bit OT here,i'm a film guy like u too,using the same nikon system and the A40.i had the same dilemna as u few mths back about switching totally to DSLR but after some serious thoughts,i decided to stay with my current system because of the following reasons.
    1)cost of the switch is too high ( memory cards,battery packs,flash system,good software,and those super wide angle lens to offset the 1.5x factor)easily 6k.
    2)the dust problem in DSLR dat is really annoying.i dunwant to be constantly worrying about the CCD sensor getting dust.
    3)the resale value of DSLR is too low when new model comes out(they never seems to stop)
    i prefer to stay with the film system that has faithfully serve me well and provides good results for me all these yrs and use the A40 to substitute polaroid when preview is important for product shoots.i set it to manual F8 and cover the flash to trigger the strobes and it works fine for me.
    i find dat fixed lens on digital camera are better since they dun have the dust problems.
    those are the reasons i chose to stay with my film system and supplement it with a digital P&S camera.Ask urself wad issit dat DSLR can let u achieve that film system cannot ?

Cheers !

Originally posted by kex
    2)the dust problem in DSLR dat is really annoying.i dunwant to be constantly worrying about the CCD sensor getting dust.
    3)the resale value of DSLR is too low when new model comes out(they never seems to stop)
    i find dat fixed lens on digital camera are better since they dun have the dust problems.
    Just to give another perspective to the few points above ...

2) No matter what, you will have to clean the CCD, and it is not as bad as it's made out to be (which, reading a lot of posts, you'd think is just one notch down from a root canal). If you get dust, get some sensor swabs and wipe it off. Be gentle, work carefully, and you should not damage anything. If in doubt or in kiasee mode, you can always bring it back to the service center to get it done professionally.

3) Even if the resale value is $1, you bought it to use, not as an investment. I have a friend who still produces amazing shots with an S1Pro, in spite of the "antiquated" ISO320, no RAW, slow autofocus ... et al. If it was good enough when it came out, what has changed ? If you needed, say, high speed, high volume shooting, you wouldn't have bought the S1Pro, or even the D100 ... you'd have gone for the D1H, right ?

Fixed lens = no dust ... think again. Your consumer digicam is not hermetically sealed, and if you shoot in dry, dusty conditions, you will get dust inside. Granted, the chance of it happening is lower than on a DSLR, but it's a capability/feature tradeoff.

Price ... no arguments from me there It is a big hurdle to overcome, and I deliberated for more than a year before taking the plunge. In the meantime I made do with a consumer digicam.