Thread: Canon seems to have a better edge over Nikon, when it comes down to Digital. True ?

Default Canon seems to have a better edge over Nikon, when it comes down to Digital. True ?

I'm a Nikon SLR user, and I have a Canon A40 as my first camera to start with, and I'm still using it. It is fantastic, from day one till now. I feel Canon seems to be better with respects to digital.
    The A40 blew the CP2500 away like by half a mile. The CP885 and 775 was a joke when compared to the Canon S series.

I'm not too sure with the higher end models. But I've read a very good & detailed comparison between the CP5700 and G3, which the G3 won despite its zoom disadvantage.

For DSLR, I've got absolutely no idea. Canon though seems to be innovating alot more than Nikon, with Nikon sticking steadfastly to the d100 despite D30,D60 and now the D10. The Canon top of the range model, 1D has a full frame CCD, while the Nikon D1 has a smaller CCD. Hmm.... I cant comment much since I'm not too good with the highenders.

I hope the above statement is wrong, since I own a Nikon System and intend to purchase a DSLR soon. Any comments ?

1. Nikon came out with the "Affordable" DSLR first. Before that, the only DSLRs are those big bulky heavy expensive Kodak DCS bricks. When Nikon come up with the D2X, Canon might just be the one lagging then. (Just speculation, don't flame me. I always have this idea camera makers give way to each other purposely one )

2. There is nothing wrong with D100. Sure, Canon has more models out there (even their film SLRs) but there isn't a problem with the D100. So there's no need for replacement. Whereas 10D is a significant upgrade over D60.

3. Nikon is not going to come up with any full frame cameras. Their direction is to go the DX lenses way, with purpose-designed lenses to make full use of the half size sensors. Not a lot of things wrong with this approach either.

4. The recent Coolpixes (tho I dunno about 2100, 3100 etc) - I am talking about those like 775, 885, 995, 4500, 5700 etc are lacklustre compared to the Canons. This is a shame, as the old 950 and 990 are excellent.

Regards
    CK

Actually ckiang, the CP5700 is a class of its own when compared to the top of the line offerings from Canon (eg. G3, S50, etc), so I won't exactly call it a disappointment.

As for DSLRs, it will generally depend on what you perceive as advanced. From D30, D60 and finally the 10D, Canon has come a long way in semi-pro DSLR development, it is no surprise that they can move faster in this area. On the other hand, Nikon is more rooted in the professional DSLR category, this is mainly attributed to the early introduction of the D1 and subsequently, the D1x/h replacements, all these despite the introduction of the 1Ds.

As for the D100, there is actually nothing wrong with it, so I don't think it is necessary for Nikon to release a refresh like what Canon did to the D60 with the 10D.

Since you are a F80 user, it is also good to know that semi-pro DSLR offerings from Canon (D30/D60/10D) lack true spot metering and the on demand grid lines. These are all present on your F80 and also the D100 which incidentally is commonly perceived as an "older" model as compared to its newer competitor.

All in all, don't just look at the digital aspects of a DSLR, its photographic aspects are in fact, more important.

Well, the reason that Canon has been putting out so many models is actually a marketing strategy. By putting out new models with improved features over the previous models, they can generate a lot of sales. Also, the R&D engine of Canon is also very strong, Canon by itself, is a much bigger company than Nikon. Even Canon's optical device department itself is almost 4 times bigger than Nikon in terms of profits. Thus they actually can delegate a bigger amount of money to R&D and hence the whole lot of new models.

Originally posted by Prismatic
    Well, the reason that Canon has been putting out so many models is actually a marketing strategy. By putting out new models with improved features over the previous models, they can generate a lot of sales. Also, the R&D engine of Canon is also very strong, Canon by itself, is a much bigger company than Nikon. Even Canon's optical device department itself is almost 4 times bigger than Nikon in terms of profits. Thus they actually can delegate a bigger amount of money to R&D and hence the whole lot of new models.
    I think the story can be the other way round if you know what you are really talking about in term of corporate size.

Regardless, what I know is the inter-departmental relationship in Canon doesn't necessarily help them that much in R&D, both financially and also, expertise. In retrospective, it is the numbers these departments show the board of directors that really count.

Ever wonder why Canon needs 3 tries to make a good semi-pro DSLR compared to Nikon's attempt of just one?

In my opinion, only the latest 10D is on par with the D100, and after weighing the pros & cons of each system, even then, I recently still chose to buy a D100(just last week, & I have zero Canon or Nikon lenses to start with)

I'm no Nikon fan or Canon hater, in fact, I believe Canon has a better range of lenses than Nikon, and supposedly has better AF performance. But neither makes any difference to me. I will never be able to afford top-of-the-range lenses from either brand, and super fast AF is not critical. So I go for ergonomics, ease of use and other factors instead. Picture quality is the same to me. How often do u blow your pics up to A3 size?

Originally posted by Avatar
    Actually ckiang, the CP5700 is a class of its own when compared to the top of the line offerings from Canon (eg. G3, S50, etc), so I won't exactly call it a disappointment.
    I came to that conclusion after I tried almost every semipro Coolpix - 950, 990, 995, 4500, 5000 and 5700 (no, I did not buy them all of coz, except the 950). Tried it in the shop, didn't really like it. Tried a colleague's to do some "real" work (product shoot), didn't like it. AF performance is no better than my old 950's.

I don't remember, but using non-Nikon external flash is a pain also, as the internal flash cannot be disabled like the 950/990.

Which is why I never upgraded my 950 to another Coolpix.

Regards
    CK

Hi Marc,

The same questions seem to get bandied around frequently. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

I can't speak for the point and shoot market although the Coolpixes are regarded for a long time as setting the benchmark for others to aspire too. This might well have changed, as I said I am not intimately aquainted with this sector of the market.

Canon though seems to be innovating alot more than Nikon, with Nikon sticking steadfastly to the d100 despite D30,D60 and now the D10.

There's a saying that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As I was saying on another thread recently, as recently as just over a year ago, the position would seem to be reversed. Canon sticking steadfastly to the D2000 (DCS520) despite the D1, D1x and D1h turning up. And in that situation, the D2000 is an inferior camera by quite some way to the D1, let alone the D1x and D1h. At least the D100 is more or less similar to the 10D.

The Canon top of the range model, 1D has a full frame CCD, while the Nikon D1 has a smaller CCD.

Just to be pedantic, the 1Ds has a full frame sensor, the 1D does not. Yes Nikon has a smaller CCD, but take my word on this, bigger is not necessarily better. I for one as a Nikon user am very glad that Nikon is deciding to remain with the smaller CCD sensor size.

As to choice, you actually have more choice being a Nikon *lens* user than a Canon user. Listing current DSLR bodies, Canon has:

New 10D, 1D, 1Ds
    Widely available D30, D60

OTOH Nikon has:

New D100, D1x, D1h, S2 Pro, DCS14n
    Widely available S1 Pro, D1, DCS760, DCS720x

Picture quality is the same to me. How often do u blow your pics up to A3 size?

Frequently, and I will be gobsmacked if I can tell the difference between top quality lenses from either manufacturer at A3, and a lot bigger. A3 is nothing in the modern scheme of things.

I believe Canon has a better range of lenses than Nikon, and supposedly has better AF performance.

Very debatable, on both points. And at any rate the AF performance of the Canon not-$10000-end DSLRs has been widely criticised.

Finkster makes good points about the relative importance of having a bigger lens lineup.

And lastly, I'm not saying Nikon is better than Canon. I'm trying to equalise the position.

to cut the ### short : TRUE

Default Re: Canon seems to have a better edge over Nikon, when it comes down to Digital. True ?

Originally posted by marcwang
    I'm a Nikon SLR user, and I have a Canon A40 as my first camera to start with, and I'm still using it. It is fantastic, from day one till now. I feel Canon seems to be better with respects to digital.
    The A40 blew the CP2500 away like by half a mile. The CP885 and 775 was a joke when compared to the Canon S series.

I'm not too sure with the higher end models. But I've read a very good & detailed comparison between the CP5700 and G3, which the G3 won despite its zoom disadvantage.

For DSLR, I've got absolutely no idea. Canon though seems to be innovating alot more than Nikon, with Nikon sticking steadfastly to the d100 despite D30,D60 and now the D10. The Canon top of the range model, 1D has a full frame CCD, while the Nikon D1 has a smaller CCD. Hmm.... I cant comment much since I'm not too good with the highenders.

I hope the above statement is wrong, since I own a Nikon System and intend to purchase a DSLR soon. Any comments ?

where did you read the very good & detailed comparison between CP5700 and G3? can point the link to me? thanks.

Nikon this, Canon that....

With all due respect, this topic has been flogged so many times over to the point where it has become a broken pencil.

Pointless.

Everyone chants the mantra of it 'not being the camera, but the eye behind it. Don't fret too much about technology/equipment. Instead, focus on your composition and techniques. '

But how many of us actually tries not to worry abt equipment? There is still this perpetual obsession with equipment and the brands, or the technology behind it.

Canon is better. Great. Nikon is brilliant. Hooray. But the pictures that are churned out? Nothing short of being spectacularly bad.

It's not the equipment, it's the passion of the photographer, the creativity that is employed, and of course, the genuine desire to make better pictures, and not want better cameras just so you can have that slightly faster AF etc etc...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Fully agree with you Wolfgang!!

Instead of spending all your money in the latest cameras, spend more on the lenses/film, memory cards. And TAKE MORE PICS!!!!! Go out! Explore photography and improve your 'seeing', go and try macro, go to the darkroom if you use film, buy all those image photography magazines (not the technical ones, lah!) and see for yourself what is possible with photography. Develop your own style. Copying others style is fine, as long as it leads you to develop your own....Instead of talking (or some bragging) on and reading clubsnap...................Nikon is better than Canon, Canon is better than Nikon, so what! Gosh! The only truth is that it is people like you that keep Nikon and Canon going......otherwise they would still be churning out F1's and F2's and F3's.............BTW: Canon started out with a Nikon lens.

Hong Sien

Haha. Speaking of mantras and things going on ad nauseum, want me to start the one about Singaporeans, gear, and the pictures of foreigners all over again?

Originally posted by Jed
    Haha. Speaking of mantras and things going on ad nauseum, want me to start the one about Singaporeans, gear, and the pictures of foreigners all over again?
    haha - go ahead

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    It's not the equipment, it's the passion of the photographer, the creativity that is employed, and of course, the genuine desire to make better pictures, and not want better cameras just so you can have that slightly faster AF etc etc...
    My my, in all my years online I've never heard anything quite as scandalous. It's heresy I say. Equipment is the be all and end all in photography, you can't begin to take a good picture without having a sizeable amount of kit.

Passion is one thing, but unless you can buy and sell with the best of them, you're nothing. If you gear isn't as mint as the day it left the factory then you're a lousy photographer.

Desire is great, but all the desire in the world can't compensate for having a small appendage. For that, you need the biggest lens you can afford. Don't worry if it's too big for you to use, or if you'll never use it the way it was intended to be used - size matters.

Originally posted by Jed
    My my, in all my years online I've never heard anything quite as scandalous. It's heresy I say. Equipment is the be all and end all in photography, you can't begin to take a good picture without having a sizeable amount of kit.

Passion is one thing, but unless you can buy and sell with the best of them, you're nothing. If you gear isn't as mint as the day it left the factory then you're a lousy photographer.

Desire is great, but all the desire in the world can't compensate for having a small appendage. For that, you need the biggest lens you can afford. Don't worry if it's too big for you to use, or if you'll never use it the way it was intended to be used - size matters.
    PLaying the devil's advocate too often isn't healthy mon ami.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    PLaying the devil's advocate too often isn't healthy mon ami.
    not true man! looking good with your gear is just as (if not more) important as taking decent pictures! hahahah! always get the biggest, longest, whitest, largest lens diameter mutha you can buy, even if it means maxing out on a few overdrafts....hahhahahaha!

All this fascination with white lenses......didn't know that the Pinkerton Syndrome also applies in photography..

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    All this fascination with white lenses......didn't know that the Pinkerton Syndrome also applies in photography..
    This is a classic, darn good one Zerstorer!

Deregistered

Originally posted by hongsien
    Instead of spending all your money in the latest cameras, spend more on the lenses/film, memory cards. And TAKE MORE PICS!!!!! Go out! Explore photography and improve your 'seeing', go and try macro, go to the darkroom if you use film, buy all those image photography magazines (not the technical ones, lah!) and see for yourself what is possible with photography. Develop your own style. Copying others style is fine, as long as it leads you to develop your own....Instead of talking (or some bragging) on and reading clubsnap...................Nikon is better than Canon, Canon is better than Nikon, so what! Gosh! The only truth is that it is people like you that keep Nikon and Canon going......otherwise they would still be churning out F1's and F2's and F3's.............BTW: Canon started out with a Nikon lens.

I've only upgraded my previous cam when it gave way from heavy use. Splurging on latest cameras is a waste of money to me. Count me out of the Photo-Pinkerton Syndrome!