Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advise on purchasing a new Dslr.

Default Re: Need advise on purchasing a new Dslr.

have you tried out any DSLR yet? go with anything that you feel comfortable with. consider the feel, user interface (menus, layout of buttons, etc...), expandability (availability of lens? accessories? which you can purchase in the future), ease of usage.

i agree with cheersjy. since it's just a hobby... and you're just about to step into another level in photography, get a camera that's affordable, at the same time consider which of the cons of the dslr that you can still live with and shoot (maybe noise level?).

imo d80 is fine for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    have you tried out any DSLR yet? go with anything that you feel comfortable with. consider the feel, user interface (menus, layout of buttons, etc...), expandability (availability of lens? accessories? which you can purchase in the future), ease of usage.

i agree with cheersjy. since it's just a hobby... and you're just about to step into another level in photography, get a camera that's affordable, at the same time consider which of the cons of the dslr that you can still live with and shoot (maybe noise level?).

imo d80 is fine for a start.
    things like "comfortable with" is rather abstract. I have used like 6 different DSLRs from 4 different brands.... almost all the DSLR are comfortable to me, some more user friendly like the newer ones with Auto ISO implementation, other less user friendly BUT they don't really affect the pics I want to take (newbie travel shots, landscapes, street). Once you get used to the interface, almost all cameras are ok.

Availability of lens is pretty impt which I did not mentioned. This is impt as some system does not have CHEAP alternatives. Example, Olympus does not as a cheap ULTRA WIDE which may be impt to some.

Seriously, the stabilization is VERY IMPT to me as it allows you to take photos that are otherwise IMPOSSIBLE without a tripod, ie during the time when the light is the most beautiful, dusk/dawn, changing light OR silky waterfall effect. We are not talking about 10% more noise or those kind of pixel peeper stuff. We are talking about getting the shot or NOT getting the shot.

Live view is also impt. Just take a look at the nice pics in CS. The REALLY good ones. Try to figure out where the camera is. Most of the time, it is NOT eye level..... Without live view, you also can take those shots, (in fact most of those good shots are taken without live view) BUT live view can seriously up your success rate OR makes life easier with less squating and body contortions

aiya at the end of the day, it is your money. Since you asked for advise, I offered mine since I like to change DSLRs every few months

Y dun u go to CathayPhoto etc, try out the camera.
    U can ask to test those DSLR...
    Most impt is to get a DSLR that suits ur needs n that u feel comfortable when holding it and also the navigation of the menu etc..
    Doesnt mean expensive is gd... Coz it may not b gd 4 ur needs..
    Cheers...
    Pentax K-r, DA35/2.4, FA 50/1.4, DA 16-45 & DA 55-300

Thanks alot everyone for the help! I've decided to purchase a Dslr based on my reseaches on the internet. Nows the question, there is sitex 2007 next week 29th november till 2nd of december! There is an exhibition there and I'm thinking of there buying my Dslr. But from the forums many purchased their cameras from places like AP, CP and many other shops. Any advises on where to purchase would be better? I'm thinking of purchasing at sitex because usually such electronic exhibition when you buy things they will usually throw in a free memory card or free tripod etc in.

Quote Originally Posted by shengyang84 View Post
    Thanks alot everyone for the help! I've decided to purchase a Dslr based on my reseaches on the internet. Nows the question, there is sitex 2007 next week 29th november till 2nd of december! There is an exhibition there and I'm thinking of there buying my Dslr. But from the forums many purchased their cameras from places like AP, CP and many other shops. Any advises on where to purchase would be better? I'm thinking of purchasing at sitex because usually such electronic exhibition when you buy things they will usually throw in a free memory card or free tripod etc in.
    i wouldn't suggest buying your DSLR there. so far the offers at such exhibitions for DSLRs have not been attractive according to many feedbacks from photographers. on the contrary, some of the compact camera buyers and the ordinary public are strongly convinced about the sitex being cheaper. i'm not sure why.

and for accessories, except for the memory cards, most of them are not attractive to serious users.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    things like "comfortable with" is rather abstract. I have used like 6 different DSLRs from 4 different brands.... almost all the DSLR are comfortable to me, some more user friendly like the newer ones with Auto ISO implementation, other less user friendly BUT they don't really affect the pics I want to take (newbie travel shots, landscapes, street). Once you get used to the interface, almost all cameras are ok.

Availability of lens is pretty impt which I did not mentioned. This is impt as some system does not have CHEAP alternatives. Example, Olympus does not as a cheap ULTRA WIDE which may be impt to some.

Seriously, the stabilization is VERY IMPT to me as it allows you to take photos that are otherwise IMPOSSIBLE without a tripod, ie during the time when the light is the most beautiful, dusk/dawn, changing light OR silky waterfall effect. We are not talking about 10% more noise or those kind of pixel peeper stuff. We are talking about getting the shot or NOT getting the shot.

Live view is also impt. Just take a look at the nice pics in CS. The REALLY good ones. Try to figure out where the camera is. Most of the time, it is NOT eye level..... Without live view, you also can take those shots, (in fact most of those good shots are taken without live view) BUT live view can seriously up your success rate OR makes life easier with less squating and body contortions

aiya at the end of the day, it is your money. Since you asked for advise, I offered mine since I like to change DSLRs every few months
    you and cheersjy are providing new sparks on this issue. think i will include some of the points in the newbie guide.

just to add, i feel that most dslr users here are canon/nikon users..so u'd generally find more canon/nikon /(compatiable) products in the buy and sell section
    if ure looking to get stuff from others.
    Eugene.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12