Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Ordering books from Amazon.com

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Question Ordering books from Amazon.com

    I ordered 3 books from Amazon.com. Anyone ordered from it before?

    To receive the books, must I be at home? Will it be put into the letter box like normal mail?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    It'll be shipped in a box. If nobody's at home to claim it, you'll get a note from the post office and you can pick it up there.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    It'll be shipped in a box. If nobody's at home to claim it, you'll get a note from the post office and you can pick it up there.
    So delivery is by Sing Post then?

    If delivery is by other vendors, then non-delivery shouldn't go back to Singpost right?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    So delivery is by Sing Post then?

    If delivery is by other vendors, then non-delivery shouldn't go back to Singpost right?
    yup. Fedex or DHL can arrange for an alternate schedule or location.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    So delivery is by Sing Post then?

    If delivery is by other vendors, then non-delivery shouldn't go back to Singpost right?
    Delivery is by Singpost.

    Will take around 2 weeks plus minus a few days.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Delivery is by Singpost.

    Will take around 2 weeks plus minus a few days.
    My delivery date is 2 Jan 2008.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    My delivery date is 2 Jan 2008.
    that's crazy... Must be the christmas rush... But I just ordered 3 days ago and it was delivered to the vPost forwarding office today.
    Alpha

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    To receive the books, must I be at home? Will it be put into the letter box like normal mail?
    Please also check underneath your bed.

    Some post office women like to leave "things" there.
    Last edited by Sion; 22nd November 2007 at 06:05 AM.

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    I ordered 3 books from Amazon.com. Anyone ordered from it before?

    To receive the books, must I be at home? Will it be put into the letter box like normal mail?
    the books will be packed in a box, so won't fit in your letter box, should send it to your office, it is safer, especially when you order some thing you do not want your wife to know.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    the books will be packed in a box, so won't fit in your letter box, should send it to your office, it is safer, especially when you order some thing you do not want your wife to know.
    Even if she opens, she can't read, it's in Hebrew.

    The thing about delivery to office is that I dunno what time the delivery will come. What if it comes at 8pm?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    that's crazy... Must be the christmas rush... But I just ordered 3 days ago and it was delivered to the vPost forwarding office today.
    The 3 books are shipped separately, 2 is in Jan 08, 1 estimated by 20 Dec 07. Everything is in one order form but it was shipped separately to speed things up, without additional costs.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    Even if she opens, she can't read, it's in Hebrew.

    The thing about delivery to office is that I dunno what time the delivery will come. What if it comes at 8pm?
    dun be stupid lah...

    u think the delivery guy so siao on meh...

    they only deliver during office hours.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    dun be stupid lah...

    u think the delivery guy so siao on meh...

    they only deliver during office hours.
    Yep, Singpost delivers during office hours. Though FedEx and DHL (probably inapplicable in this case) does deliver till night time, and sometimes without an advance call.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Yep, Singpost delivers during office hours. Though FedEx and DHL (probably inapplicable in this case) does deliver till night time, and sometimes without an advance call.
    Fedex & DHL also dun deliver til night, unless you tell them to... else its still office hours.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Fedex & DHL also dun deliver til night, unless you tell them to... else its still office hours.
    I am absolutely sure, and based on several experiences, that I have received orders sent through either Fedex or DHL at night, without me telling them to. Thank you.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    I am absolutely sure, and based on several experiences, that I have received orders sent through either Fedex or DHL at night, without me telling them to. Thank you.
    i meant, for office addresses.

    if for home, i think probably they should have called.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    i meant, for office addresses.

    if for home, i think probably they should have called.
    Oh, of course of course. Agreed.

  18. #18
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    that's crazy... Must be the christmas rush... But I just ordered 3 days ago and it was delivered to the vPost forwarding office today.

    Is vPost much cheaper overall than have amazon do the shipping?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Is vPost much cheaper overall than have amazon do the shipping?
    Marginally, really. I can take advantage of the free super saver shipping of Amazon.
    Alpha

  20. #20

    Default Re: Ordering books from Amazon.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Is vPost much cheaper overall than have amazon do the shipping?
    vpost is useful for those "used and new" books that are sold on the amazon site by other sellers. you can often pick up really good bargains there, but they may not ship direct to sg. i usually buy a whole lot of books at one go, cos the average cost goes down with each book.
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •