Thread: indoor daytime event shoot advice

Default indoor daytime event shoot advice

Had anyone shoot an indoor event with an prosumer digicam like oly c5050/canon g3 / nikon 5700 / fuji 602z WITHOUT external flash?

If so, any advice / experience to share?

I'm considering the pro and cons

1)to use my c4040 to cover a indoor church wedding (not main photographer) without external flash

Pro - can shoot more
    Cons - afraid underexposure as max is iso400 only at 35mm f1.8

2) Use an SLR with press800 without external flash

Pro - higher iso, can push somemore.
    Cons - need to budget for film, only 28-90mm kit lens

HELP!

Why cannot use flash? Chruch don't allow?

Anyway, I would choose option 2...

Deregistered

I've used the 5700 wo External flash at the takashimaya Peranakan show / Bridal Fashion / TNP My Dream Girl finals and also the Oriental Expressions @ Raffles City.

I can only say without the external flash, if you get close enough to the people itself (cover the flash with one or two plys of tissue to diffuse the flash). Effective max flash distance for the 5700 is 4m.

Set to higher ISO, will help too. My pictures turned out dark at ISO200 w/ shutter @ 1/15 1/30 when the target was far away, when near and I'm beside the stage, 1/60 was ok. Not to mention handshaking. Sigh.

I think if I set to ISO400 using 1/60 would have achieved a much better result.

Alternatively if the event shoot is important, I suggest you t-loan an external flash or get one. It would save the shots.

Seems, like I would have to test my c4040 f2.6 1/60 at 105mm iso400 whether acceptable or not

One thing I like about my prev Olympus C700 was it's ability to capture image in low light. I dont know about C4040, but i guess they're using the same algorithyms. Anyway, I quess that best way is use large aperture and the slowest shutter that you can handhold.. ISO 400 could be too grainy, consider ISO200.
    Since you're not using a flash, consider using a custom white balance..

Rgds,

Shooting indoors without flash will require ISO800 at least.

I've done indoor sports events without flash on my Fuji S602 f2.8@ISO1600 pushed 2stops. The results were good enough for coverage of the event but they were limited to 1MP and required a heavy dose of Neat Image noise processing.

Shooting at ISO400 with a f1.8 lens is possible only in bright lighting, which I doubt a church would have.

In any case I don't think your images would be "archival" quality unless you convert to B&W to make the noise less objectionable.

Perhaps you should do some on location tests comparing ISO400 vs ISO200 underexposed 1 stop and pushed using photoshop to see which gives better results.

Just saw that you have an SLR too. Try borrowing a better f2.8 lens and use that together with Press800 film. At most, use a 50mm f1.8 instead.

It should give better results than using your digicam at ISO400.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    Just saw that you have an SLR too. Try borrowing a better f2.8 lens and use that together with Press800 film. At most, use a 50mm f1.8 instead.

It should give better results than using your digicam at ISO400.
    But I'm more familiar with my digicam than the SLR (SLR belong to company and use it for event shoot until replace by digicam)

Now I decided to go to recce the place before actual day to see lighting.

Sharing to learn...

Its definitely good to recce. See if you can get satisfactory results. Else, any SLR with a f50mm 1.8 lens and Press800 will do better if you are not bearing the film/developing costs.

Deregistered

Hmmm think I better survey the church I'm going to too before snapping on the actual day, the only advantage I have is an external flash.

snowcrash: Do consider getting one. Hope all the replies helped.

If the event is important (and you only get one shot at a wedding), make sure you have a backup in place. That may mean even though you decide to use your digicam, bring the film camera along with a couple of rolls just in case something craps out on you. Conversely, if you decided to go film, bring the digicam along just in case.

Having shot indoor events, especially where you can't depend on the lighting, I'd say that an external flash for your digicam is a necessity. At the very least, you will not drain your digicam batteries that fast (internal flash uses internal batteries, external flash has its own supply)

Good luck ...

Many thanks to the suggestion given.

I opt for film press800 with slr and use digicam as backup.

Reason:- The couple getting married like the prints I've shot with SLR

Will be there for their rehearsal to recce and shot a roll to gauge results.

If place is not too dark, or you have an external flash, try buying some NPC160 as well.