Thread: Visiting sweden.

Default Visiting sweden.

My plan is set to visit sweden next march/april.
    It will be soley a trip to take photos around the country and as well as visit a friend.
    There will be little or no shopping,since i'm moving around the outlands,my plans is to take accomodation in small towns hostel which allows me to stretch my dollar.
    meals will be in cafe or packfood off the supermart shelves.

I greatly appreciate any experiences from anyone who has experiences considering i will be alone on this trip.

How much would i need?
    My budget would be around 2.5k sgd-3.3ksgd after purchase of air tix.
    Last edited by Aqillies; 21st November 2007 at 03:57 PM.

Default Re: Visiting sweden.

How long are you going for?

Not enough money.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_m0nkey View Post
    How long are you going for?
    as long as my money ca last?
    but i put it on a safe mark,4-5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Not enough money.
    Don't give idiotic answer.
    Justify.

Bro, std of living in Scandinavia v high. A BK meal can cost ard S$20++, so u can roughly gauge.

If u'r planning to eat like a backpackers, cook ur own food, pack ur own lunch .. i wud say
    S$40-50 a day just for food would be sufficient. Factor in ur transportation n lodging cuz not sure if u have a rail pass n stuff.

FYI i did scandinavia trip consisting of denmark, sweden n norway, spend ard 5.5k everything in for a 17day trip. So cant say how long ur money can last cuz dont noe wat's ur itinerary is like.

I check with relevant hostels online and their price range for a night range from sgd 30-80.
    In this case,coupled with expenses on food.it would probaly be $100 sgd.

mathematically i don't see how it wouldn't suffice,but of course i have my doubts hence the question.

Couchsurf - couchsurfing.com

It's pretty popular with the european crowd, I stayed with a couple of couchsurfers when up in Norway when I was staying in sweden and travelling around the area.

I suggest you start your trip somewhere in Malmo, make your way up to gothenburg or if you prefer a smaller town head for Jonkoping which is just south of the great lake vattern (which means water). Jonkoping is near granna which is famous for the handmade candy so you might want to try some.

Head up to Kiruna if you have the budget and time, it's a vastly different sweden. Here you really get to experience the great outdoors, I'm not sure if the ice hotel is ready yet seeing how you might be a little early if you go in Nov but you don't want to miss that either. Spend sometime on a "wilderness tour" where you get to go snowmobile riding, dog sledding and sleeping in a lapis hut. It's touristy, but hey you gotta try it once don't you? Did I mention if you're lucky that's where you'll see northern lights too? Better pack them cameras!

When you're done up north headback downsouth but this time do the east coast.Drop by stockholm if you have to but imho it's a big city, lots of museums etc and that while it's fun it can also suck your budget dry in no time. Headdown for Oland, land of windmills. It's beautiful and drop by visby if you get the chance.

Sweden is relatively flat so don't expect breathtaking mountains and waterfalls, for that head to bergen in norway. Your cheapest option is probably to rent a car if you can drive, you can get a student rate at hertz the last time I checked. I rented cars quite often when I was in Jonkoping. Couchsurf as much as you can, because then you can save on parking as well. If you couchsurf sometimes they provide food too so you can also save on that. Otherwise eat cheap, pack your own sandwiches and make pasta with meatballs you can grab off shelves at supermarket.

For your trip up to kiruna I suggest you take the train, it'll take you about 24 hours to get there but you arrive comfortably.

Travel alone can be fun, but imho not as economical as two or 4 people as costs like food/lodging/car rental can be split. If you can, try to find a travel partner on couchsurf chances are someone's headed to Sweden the same time as you too.

Sweden is a beautiful country and I really enjoyed it, so I'm sharing as much as I know with you and I hope you have a great trip.

Cheers.
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Aqillies View Post
    I check with relevant hostels online and their price range for a night range from sgd 30-80.
    In this case,coupled with expenses on food.it would probaly be $100 sgd.

mathematically i don't see how it wouldn't suffice,but of course i have my doubts hence the question.
    Eat simple - get an ISIC card before you go. A BK meal costs about 69kr which as far as I could remember costs about 14 bucks not sure about rates now. With the card you either get 10 or 15% off. And the ISIC card you can use in most places. You can apply at STA travel for 15 bucks for a year and you can probably save more than that on your trip if you use it when you get the chance. Heck, use if even if you think you can't, you'll be surprised how far people bend backward to help student travellers (swedes are nice people in general) - provided you're one of course.

But then again - do you really need to eat BK? Like I said, if you pack your own sandwiches and make simple meals you can really save alot. Heck instant noodles there cost SGD $0.40 a packet as well at asian supermarts.

Your budget is enough - it's just a matter of how much you wanna rough it out.
    Last edited by peapilot; 21st November 2007 at 08:18 PM.
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

-edit
    Last edited by Aqillies; 21st November 2007 at 08:21 PM.

If you don't stay in 5 star hotels then 3k for 5 days should be enough., make sure you have a credit card, just in case you need backup.

If you don't stay in 5 star hotels then 3k for 5 days should be enough., make sure you have a credit card, just in case you need backup.
    No leh,no credit card.
    i'm sure to do well

No leh,no credit card.
    i'm sure to do well
    Get one just in case, even if only has a $500 limit. It is good backup in case something happens - e.g. cash is lost. Despite all best intentions, regardless of how careful you are, one thing you can be sure of that will happen when you least expect it, i.e. **** happens. Take a backup! Costs you nothing, cancel it after you get home.

Get one just in case, even if only has a $500 limit. It is good backup in case something happens - e.g. cash is lost. Despite all best intentions, regardless of how careful you are, one thing you can be sure of that will happen when you least expect it, i.e. **** happens. Take a backup! Costs you nothing, cancel it after you get home.
    well,i don't plan to get one no matter what.
    anyway,it will be fulfilling to see that i can get by without a credit card.
    I like to challenge myself

Don't give idiotic answer.
    Justify.
    Any advice you get here is a favour, no one owes you anything. I certainly don't owe you any explanations especially with your attitude.

What a twerp you are!
    Last edited by waileong; 21st November 2007 at 09:59 PM.

Any advice you get here is a favour, no one owes you anything. I certainly don't owe you any explanations especially with your attitude.

What a twerp you are!
    My tougue is harsh but no harm.
    I seek replies with substance.
    If u think that my budget is not enough,at least justify right?
    Think a buisness consultant giving answers without justifications,why the need to pay that much per hour then?
    no hard feelings.

If u are going to give one line statement "not enough" and another gives the opposite...
    how am i going to make decesions?
    or is this the way things are run in kopitiam?lll
    Last edited by Aqillies; 21st November 2007 at 11:15 PM.

You don't pay a cent and thus you have no right to demand anything. In fact, the question should not even need to be asked. Not when there's so much material on the Net, books and guides you can borrow from the library, etc.
    Last edited by waileong; 22nd November 2007 at 12:19 AM.

You don't pay a cent and thus you have no right to demand anything.
    If u can't post a decent post,then don't bother.
    What can "not enough" a reply do?
    If it's to up your post count,sure..kudous.

Is that so?
    then it is actually pointless for many of the subforums here to exisit ye?

Oh Scandinavia, very very nice place to backpack I did that solo backpack 1 month trip in 2005. Still very fresh in my mind till now!

Noticed that you are going to Sweden only, but if you have the chance, please go to Norway too. Their landscape will blow you away. It is that beautiful and untouched (for most areas).

My sis was studying in Sweden during that time, so I met up with her to do some driving at the northern area of Goteborg. Clocked around 500km in 1 day. It's the Bohuslän coast, famous for it's beautiful architecture and diverse landscape. Because it's made up of many clusters of islands, thus I had the opportunities of hopping on car-ferry, and to some island which are strictly car-free.

Goteborg is the 2nd largest city in Sweden, but it does feels quite laidback. Their cafe culture is pretty happening, I even spent an entire day cafe-hopping.

If you have time to spend, should consider Gotland. It is the largest island in the Baltic, just 3 hours by ferry from Sweden mainland. There're spectacular cliffs, eroded limestone rocks and many medieval churches. One can find huge ancient supply of diverse fossils all around.. They were form from the time when Gotland was near the Earth's Equator. I met up with one of my Sis's friend to rented a car and drove around the island, particularly the northern region, where they have coastal road. The entire coast is filled with limestone structure. Some of the larger ones stands at 6-10m high, caused by erosion.

I also took an 18 hour jouney from Stockholm to Abisko, it's near Kiruna (an industrial town). Abisko is a village in north Sweden, 200km north of the Arctic Circle. The village is so small that only 150 people live there, and there is a school of only 15 students. Despite the small population, people are very friendly and they will greet and wave to me as i walk past.
    In fact, they are so friendly that on the train, I met up with this very lovely family of 4, and the head of the family welcome me to stay overnight at their place, and experience their culture. On the next day morning when I set off to Kiruna airport, they even gave me some homegrown apples, and some soveniers. It was very very heartwarming till this day when I think back.

This is about as much as I can share with you regarding Sweden However like what I've mention, do consider to drop by Norway. They have this Norwegian train from Oslo to Myrdal. It's voted as one of the top 20 most scenic train journey in the world. Throughout the 4.5hr journey, I had my camera glued to the window and awed at the beautiful scenery displaying before me - It's that awesome. (remember to book the morning train for best effect!). At Myrdal, you can drop by the nearby Flåm where it overlooking the famous fjords.

Do get the scanrail pass if you're traveling a lot on rail. If planned well, you will save a lot of money. I spent around S$3.5k incl the air tix and scanrail pass. It's considered quite little as the cost of living in those 3 countries are horrendously expensive. Therefore my trick is to stay in the cheapest hostel dorm and cook my own meals most of the time. Also during 4th quarter 2005, Malaysian Airlines has the cheapest airtix to europe, where I got a return tix for S$699 (S$900 incl tax). I think it's the cheapest ever. Cook wise, I really spend because often I go to their fish market to get really fresh seafood which are uncommon in SG region. One which I really like is Marulk (Angler Fish). I saw Whale meat too, but too cruel to eat it. haha

Don't worry S$3k+ for shoestring backpacking, you won't need to stay for only 4-5 days. You can easily afford 2 weeks.

*If you want to take a look at some photos, do go to my website: http://www.danielbeh.com > click on 'wedding' > click on 'gallery' > click on 'personal travel'.
    That photo gallery only consists of Bali, Melbourne (summer) and Scandinavia (winter). So it's not that hard to know which is Scandinavia

I'll put some photos in this thread for you to see when I have access to my workstation at my studio tomorrow. Gd Nite!
    Last edited by behyx; 22nd November 2007 at 01:38 AM.

I'm tuning you out, you've wasted enough of my time.

If u can't post a decent post,then don't bother.
    What can "not enough" a reply do?
    If it's to up your post count,sure..kudous.

Is that so?
    then it is actually pointless for many of the subforums here to exisit ye?