Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 92

Thread: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    French like to eat cheese and bread Can go NTUC cheap cheap sure can tahan for 1 month
    tats a very bad assumption...

    its like saying french eat french fries, ppl of hamburg only eat hamburger... or worse... sg ppl only eat char kway tiao...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Global Village
    Posts
    443

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    cost of living is indeed going up, especially with the warning that inflation will go up next year. but i thought $1,400 is alot of money(!). i mean, rent a decent hdb room [instead of a whole apartment or in condo] w/o aircon cost just $300 - $400; and if room-mate, can split cost too. and if wanna rent a room, might as well rent near the workplace/university etc, so that save on transport. a cool $1,000 for daily expenses and the occasion shopping spee at the hdb heartlands etc. food in hawker centres can be [usually] tastier than some restuarants; and definitely tastier than fast foods ... salary of a poly grad nowadays is around $1,400 to $1,700 can still survive depending on how money is to be spent. and not necessarily needs to be stingy to have a decent life in singapore (!)

    compared to the cost of living in korea and japan, singapore is already [relatively] low ...

  3. #63

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    that's an unfair stereotype.
    No leh, I notice it in my line of work. Always run out of bread roll whenever I have them, among all the other Nation they ate the most cheese too
    French Fries is not from France lah

    French fried potatoes were likely invented during the 18th century in the area that later became Belgium. The name "French" was applied to them in (American) British at the beginning of the 19th century.

    Culinary origin of the term

    The straightforward explanation of the term is that it means potatoes fried in the French sense of the verb: "to fry" can mean either sautéing or deep-fat frying, while its French origin, frire, unambiguously means deep-frying : frites being its past participle used with a plural feminine substantive, as in pommes de terre frites ("deep-fried potatoes").[1][2] Thomas Jefferson, famous for serving French dishes, wrote exactly the latter French expression.[1][3] In the early 20th century, the term "French fried" was being used for foods such as onion rings or chicken, apart from potatoes.[4][5]
    The verb "to french", though not attested until after "French fried potatoes" had appeared[citation needed], can refer to "julienning" of vegetables as is acknowledged by some dictionaries[6] while others only refer to trimming the meat off the shanks of chops.[7]
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  4. #64

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    No leh, I notice it in my line of work. Always run out of bread roll whenever I have them, among all the other Nation they ate the most cheese too
    French Fries is not from France lah

    French fried potatoes were likely invented during the 18th century in the area that later became Belgium. The name "French" was applied to them in (American) British at the beginning of the 19th century.

    Culinary origin of the term

    The straightforward explanation of the term is that it means potatoes fried in the French sense of the verb: "to fry" can mean either sautéing or deep-fat frying, while its French origin, frire, unambiguously means deep-frying : frites being its past participle used with a plural feminine substantive, as in pommes de terre frites ("deep-fried potatoes").[1][2] Thomas Jefferson, famous for serving French dishes, wrote exactly the latter French expression.[1][3] In the early 20th century, the term "French fried" was being used for foods such as onion rings or chicken, apart from potatoes.[4][5]
    The verb "to french", though not attested until after "French fried potatoes" had appeared[citation needed], can refer to "julienning" of vegetables as is acknowledged by some dictionaries[6] while others only refer to trimming the meat off the shanks of chops.[7]
    notice or not during your work its still an unfair stereotype. just like saying asians are good at math or african americans eat nothing but fried chicken or that jews love money. What you're doing is called profiling.
    Last edited by garou12; 22nd November 2007 at 06:42 PM.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Ok la, just suggesting only. Many people eat bread only when the have overspend, the rest just go and eat grass Sorry for my profiling again.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  6. #66

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    French like to eat cheese and bread Can go NTUC cheap cheap sure can tahan for 1 month
    not sure about the french,

    but we have this polish guy here who has an obsession with polish bread, cheese and A LOT OF KETCHUP. it is immensely scary how anyone can eat so much ketchup with so little bread and so little cheese

    come to think of it, each race does have a certain type of eating habit.. i find myself preferring rice to fries.. but of course it all depends on the sort of background and family you grow up in.. old habits die hard

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    not sure about the french,

    but we have this polish guy here who has an obsession with polish bread, cheese and A LOT OF KETCHUP. it is immensely scary how anyone can eat so much ketchup with so little bread and so little cheese

    come to think of it, each race does have a certain type of eating habit.. i find myself preferring rice to fries.. but of course it all depends on the sort of background and family you grow up in.. old habits die hard
    i prefer noodles to rice, and fries to rice... lol...

    rice is the last thing i wanna touch in sg... dunno y...

    other country's rice just taste better... like in Thailand, Korea & Japan.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Well if we ate half as much cheese as you eat rice in Asia, we would need more than one cow per inhabitant

    Nah seriously, we adapt just fine to Asian food (I lived in Singapore, then Vietnam and India), it's not a problem. (I did miss the beef in Singapore and India though , Vietnam has plenty of (good) beef). At any rate, it's no big deal, you can find anything in Singapore (though western food is more expensive)

  9. #69

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    i prefer noodles to rice, and fries to rice... lol...

    rice is the last thing i wanna touch in sg... dunno y...

    other country's rice just taste better... like in Thailand, Korea & Japan.
    no no no

    come here and try rice in my hall's dining room

    i guess the best word for it is.. chewy

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no no no

    come here and try rice in my hall's dining room

    i guess the best word for it is.. chewy
    chewy? hmm... long rice? lol...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    chewy? hmm... long rice? lol...
    more like.. in the region between cooked and undercooked

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    more like.. in the region between cooked and undercooked
    send some back leh... i try to make a riceball out of it and see if it can bounce anot...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  13. #73

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    more like.. in the region between cooked and undercooked
    Didn't you teach them Englishmen the "one finger digit" water level thing?

  14. #74

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Didn't you teach them Englishmen the "one finger digit" water level thing?
    they no use ricecooker

    i think they use pots and pans to make rice

    my friend walked into the kitchen one day to find her flatmate doing that

  15. #75

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    send some back leh... i try to make a riceball out of it and see if it can bounce anot...
    i think by the time fly back

    can use to play sepak takraw already

  16. #76

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    they no use ricecooker

    i think they use pots and pans to make rice

    my friend walked into the kitchen one day to find her flatmate doing that

    Ah... stupid ang mohs...

  17. #77

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Last time we go camping also use pots and gas stove to cook rice, it turns out well We even do Claypot rice With aluminum pots !!! Got to keep stirring once a while or else the bottom will get burn then siao liao...
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  18. #78

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    $1400 is more than enuff.

    this is my breakdown :

    Lodging $500 per mth (can get quite a decent room at this price)
    Transport $5 x 31days = $155 (no taxi, juz MRT & Bus..incl. weekend outings)
    Food $15 x 31 days = $465 (can be even lesser if eat bread for breakfast occasionally)

    She will still hv spare cash of $280 for shopping

    if my office accts clerk (foreigner) can survive with a $1200 per mth salary, i dun see
    why she can't live with $1400 a mth.

  19. #79

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Must add bills like handphone, IDD call, PUB.....Entertainment wise easy lah, find a few guys to go out with then wines and dine covered liao, shopping a bit difficult..... but not impossible.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  20. #80

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    they no use ricecooker

    i think they use pots and pans to make rice

    my friend walked into the kitchen one day to find her flatmate doing that
    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Ah... stupid ang mohs...
    Contrary to what you both think you don't NEED a ricecooker to be able to properly cook rice.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •