Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 92

Thread: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore

    $1400. No problem. She is here to learn and experience a different life and culture. I'm sure she can gain some knowledge, both from her internship as well as living in a foreign country. Unless her intention is to enjoy life, then I'll say that living on a budget can be a good learning experience.

    Anyway I really think that $1400 is more than enough to live comfortably without any luxury in Singapore.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  2. #22
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    $1400. No problem. She is here to learn and experience a different life and culture. I'm sure she can gain some knowledge, both from her internship as well as living in a foreign country. Unless her intention is to enjoy life, then I'll say that living on a budget can be a good learning experience.

    Anyway I really think that $1400 is more than enough to live comfortably without any luxury in Singapore.
    I don't think so. The breakdown I did earlier is not extravagant, but very basic.

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    If you break it down a little, my best guestimate:

    3 meals a day = $15
    Transport per day = $10
    That's roughly $700 a month already, so you have about $700 to rent a room.

    I would say $1,400 would bearly cover, but can still make do.

    ../azul123
    Then we have not considered the washing, buying detergents, shampoo, toothpaste, paracetamol.. etc... not to mention doctor visits.. plus the women stuff etc.. etc..

    ../azul123

  3. #23
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore

    I guess there could be some pattern on the answers given, maybe some of you who thinks it is enough are still staying with parents, sorry no ill intent meant. There are much more expenses than just food and transport.

    ../azul123

  4. #24

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Folks , one reminder, don't get personal on other people post. And don't post any more replies like , Don't come, Go back etc. Supports your views with facts and help the TS with enough points/facts/info.

    One good example is gooseberry reply.

    Thanks

  5. #25

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    i'll be nice about this...

    first...she isn't my friend, dun know her, but i do know what it is like if you come here from a different place and how your lifestyle and thinking may change-up.

    second...she needs to make an informed decision. in singapore as anywhere else she will be faced with other costs such as entertainment/recreation unless she is like an animal in the zoo and can stay caged up all day all night. let's be real, for girls, it basically boils down to shopping, malls, movies, clubs... we all need an outlet, correct? when i said she may not even like it here, it means just that. depending where she is from, she may not like the change in her lifestyle...singapore is an ok place, but it is not everything to everyone...or is there something wrong with saying this too.

    so, take into consideration rent, transportation, utilities, internet, food, leisure and other things, and the things people normally like to do to feel content and she will be running a tight budget. all i said was that if she were my friend i would make it clear to her that the budget might be tight. furthermore i mentioned that a budget on paper is often different from a budget in the real world. from there i concluded i probably would advise her to look for alternatives to where she has more "wiggle-room" with her budget.

    quite frankly, i would not expect anything less than what some people posted. people seem to not take criticism well and fire off for no good reason except other than perhaps not liking a foreigner. i see it day in and day out here, at the malls, everywhere. i'm not going to label or brand a few as being the face or the voice of singapore...it's hard not too at times, but i don't. every country has it's fare share of ignorance, hate, prejudice, and other negative things and from a few postings here, it's a vibe being felt. i would tell her not to come more because of the unforeseen costs in perhaps adapting to a different lifestyle... not because of my personal feelings whether i may or may not like a place. i said unless she can work it out i would say no... which if you read my original post you would've saw.

    because of these vibes, let me share something with you...
    growing up in hawaii, we didn't like american whites because of history and the differences in lifestyle and how they came beating their chests taking over or putting their views on us so i know the concept of disliking foreigners. and i can see so much similarities between singapore and hawaii from colonization by brits, to a host people becoming a minority in their own land, languages being lost and/or modified, having to adapt to western/euro ways, to even being a sovereign nation. not many people know, but there is a movement in hawaii to break away from the states and be a sovereign country once again.

    i understand it all but the one thing i had to learn was to wake up and see the world around me. the world is bigger than my island home. it sounds stupid, how can a guy think hawaii is everything and things can only be done one way, one thought, one belief and our way is the best way. sounds stupid right? well... as i said, the world is bigger than my island home, and it is bigger than yours too. to love your home does not mean to hate another and if you cannot take a difference of opinion, then continue being unhappy because opinions are like as*holes, everyone's got 'em.


    word count

  6. #26

    Default Re: Cost of life in Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    go back hawaii... bye!
    ahhhh nice thought...
    i will go back, but not until my work is done. this is all funny because i have been asked to talk to people from the visitor industry regarding golf and tourism.

    go back to where you came from...point noted

    luckily i can see a bigger picture and won't use this position to potentially hurt others. i grew up not liking foreigners, then i changed because i saw beyond myself. people i know back home still do not like foreigners but those are the ones that seem to always be unhappy and grumbling about something...hmmmm?

    my concern is not you, my concern is for the young lady and for her to prepare for a crossroad in her life.

    why you wanna be personal is up to you but i am always open to meeting face to face to discuss things.

  7. #27
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Cost of life in Singapore



    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    go back hawaii... bye!

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Before we go into whether is it worth for our TS friend to come to Singapore or not, we'll have to understand what is her expectation when going for this internship. It is easy for us to say that $1400 is not enough or enough. For example, if she is coming from Japan, where she may be used to a 1st class lifestyle, then definitely $1400 would not be enough. But if she comes from China, where life may not be as rosy as Singapore, $1400 can go a long way.

    Some of us are already implying that she will not be able to survive in Singapore, and she is a shopaholic or needs nightlife entertainment. Well, who knows But if she does have a lower expectation of life here, and is willing to sacrifice some luxury or entertainment in exchange for a better future prospect and experience gain, I'll say why not. Ok, I agree that in the beginning she may find it tough as she'll need to setup her lodging plus her unfamiliarity with our society. But once she settled down, she'll be able to find out more cost effective ways of living.

    Ok, let me paint a more rosy picture to counter....
    For food, if you always eat at foodcourt, yes it is easy to spend more than $15 per day. But if you are more prudent, I say you only need $10 per day, but you must be willing to cook or eat at hawker center.

    For transport, $10 per day! Come on, unless you live so far away that you'll need to change bus/mrt a few times, I don't see how you can spend up to $10 a day. Or are you including taxis? For myself, I take bus everyday to work, and it only costs me about $10-15 per week, and that include taking mrt on weekends.

    For entertainment, who says we must always spend to enjoy our entertainment? My wife & I often go shopping on weekends, ever since we started dating way back in our school days, but we hardly spend money most of the time. Learn the art of window shopping, and your money can be stretch longer. (BTW, my wife is even less likely to spend than me, so not all girls will spend when shopping) There are of course other forms of entertainment that don't cost money or cost very little. Just need to know what they are.

    For internet surfing, assuming she has a laptop, she can always tap into our free wirelessSG. Or she can subscribe to one of those more entry level plan that costs less than $30 per month.

    For other basic neccessity, depending on her wants and needs, I think budgeting about $100-$200 per month should be more than enough. Initially she may need to spend much more, but once stabilise, it shouldn't costs as much, unless you go for all the more costly branded stuffs.

    Granted that things were much cheaper 12 years ago, but my take home pay when I 1st started working was about $1k only, and I still have to give some allowances to my parents, settle my own lunch and dinner and pay some of the bills. Yet I could still afford to go cinema, and buy some stuff for myself, go dating etc. Yes, life wasn't luxurious, but I still survive fine.

    She is coming as an intern, here to learn and gain experience. Not to earn a living and feed her family yet. Despite rising costs, Singapore is still not as expensive as we make it out to be, but of course without the luxury most of us are used to already. Before we tell her whether it is worthwhile for her to come or not, we have to know what is her intention for coming and her background.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  9. #29

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Before we go into whether is it worth for our TS friend to come to Singapore or not, we'll have to understand what is her expectation when going for this internship. It is easy for us to say that $1400 is not enough or enough. For example, if she is coming from Japan, where she may be used to a 1st class lifestyle, then definitely $1400 would not be enough. But if she comes from China, where life may not be as rosy as Singapore, $1400 can go a long way.

    Some of us are already implying that she will not be able to survive in Singapore, and she is a shopaholic or needs nightlife entertainment. Well, who knows But if she does have a lower expectation of life here, and is willing to sacrifice some luxury or entertainment in exchange for a better future prospect and experience gain, I'll say why not. Ok, I agree that in the beginning she may find it tough as she'll need to setup her lodging plus her unfamiliarity with our society. But once she settled down, she'll be able to find out more cost effective ways of living.

    Ok, let me paint a more rosy picture to counter....
    For food, if you always eat at foodcourt, yes it is easy to spend more than $15 per day. But if you are more prudent, I say you only need $10 per day, but you must be willing to cook or eat at hawker center.

    For transport, $10 per day! Come on, unless you live so far away that you'll need to change bus/mrt a few times, I don't see how you can spend up to $10 a day. Or are you including taxis? For myself, I take bus everyday to work, and it only costs me about $10-15 per week, and that include taking mrt on weekends.

    For entertainment, who says we must always spend to enjoy our entertainment? My wife & I often go shopping on weekends, ever since we started dating way back in our school days, but we hardly spend money most of the time. Learn the art of window shopping, and your money can be stretch longer. (BTW, my wife is even less likely to spend than me, so not all girls will spend when shopping) There are of course other forms of entertainment that don't cost money or cost very little. Just need to know what they are.

    For internet surfing, assuming she has a laptop, she can always tap into our free wirelessSG. Or she can subscribe to one of those more entry level plan that costs less than $30 per month.

    For other basic neccessity, depending on her wants and needs, I think budgeting about $100-$200 per month should be more than enough. Initially she may need to spend much more, but once stabilise, it shouldn't costs as much, unless you go for all the more costly branded stuffs.

    Granted that things were much cheaper 12 years ago, but my take home pay when I 1st started working was about $1k only, and I still have to give some allowances to my parents, settle my own lunch and dinner and pay some of the bills. Yet I could still afford to go cinema, and buy some stuff for myself, go dating etc. Yes, life wasn't luxurious, but I still survive fine.

    She is coming as an intern, here to learn and gain experience. Not to earn a living and feed her family yet. Despite rising costs, Singapore is still not as expensive as we make it out to be, but of course without the luxury most of us are used to already. Before we tell her whether it is worthwhile for her to come or not, we have to know what is her intention for coming and her background.

    Dating since school dates?
    How is it possible?uni?
    It is almost impossible for relationship to last from poly-work

  10. #30

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    You can get by in Singapore on 600 or 700 bucks a month in expenses excluding housing and gas.
    I was getting by on that amount last year

  11. #31

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Before we go into whether is it worth for our TS friend to come to Singapore or not, we'll have to understand what is her expectation when going for this internship. It is easy for us to say that $1400 is not enough or enough. For example, if she is coming from Japan, where she may be used to a 1st class lifestyle, then definitely $1400 would not be enough. But if she comes from China, where life may not be as rosy as Singapore, $1400 can go a long way.

    Some of us are already implying that she will not be able to survive in Singapore, and she is a shopaholic or needs nightlife entertainment. Well, who knows But if she does have a lower expectation of life here, and is willing to sacrifice some luxury or entertainment in exchange for a better future prospect and experience gain, I'll say why not. Ok, I agree that in the beginning she may find it tough as she'll need to setup her lodging plus her unfamiliarity with our society. But once she settled down, she'll be able to find out more cost effective ways of living.

    Ok, let me paint a more rosy picture to counter....
    For food, if you always eat at foodcourt, yes it is easy to spend more than $15 per day. But if you are more prudent, I say you only need $10 per day, but you must be willing to cook or eat at hawker center.

    For transport, $10 per day! Come on, unless you live so far away that you'll need to change bus/mrt a few times, I don't see how you can spend up to $10 a day. Or are you including taxis? For myself, I take bus everyday to work, and it only costs me about $10-15 per week, and that include taking mrt on weekends.

    For entertainment, who says we must always spend to enjoy our entertainment? My wife & I often go shopping on weekends, ever since we started dating way back in our school days, but we hardly spend money most of the time. Learn the art of window shopping, and your money can be stretch longer. (BTW, my wife is even less likely to spend than me, so not all girls will spend when shopping) There are of course other forms of entertainment that don't cost money or cost very little. Just need to know what they are.

    For internet surfing, assuming she has a laptop, she can always tap into our free wirelessSG. Or she can subscribe to one of those more entry level plan that costs less than $30 per month.

    For other basic neccessity, depending on her wants and needs, I think budgeting about $100-$200 per month should be more than enough. Initially she may need to spend much more, but once stabilise, it shouldn't costs as much, unless you go for all the more costly branded stuffs.

    Granted that things were much cheaper 12 years ago, but my take home pay when I 1st started working was about $1k only, and I still have to give some allowances to my parents, settle my own lunch and dinner and pay some of the bills. Yet I could still afford to go cinema, and buy some stuff for myself, go dating etc. Yes, life wasn't luxurious, but I still survive fine.

    She is coming as an intern, here to learn and gain experience. Not to earn a living and feed her family yet. Despite rising costs, Singapore is still not as expensive as we make it out to be, but of course without the luxury most of us are used to already. Before we tell her whether it is worthwhile for her to come or not, we have to know what is her intention for coming and her background.
    true,...i agree, no one really knows here. that is exactly the reason why i offered an opposing viewpoint. locals give their views because they live here and know things foreigners may not, foreigners give their views because although they live here too, they made adjustments which is why i offered a different point of view. there is no right and no wrong, only information for a person to form an opinion based on HER choices...

    again, good point, it's for her to decide

    for those that asked me about the comment to go back home, hehe it's cool.
    this foreign joker is a believer in free speech and non-censorship even if it comes from the likes of the village idiot...

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqillies View Post
    Dating since school dates?
    How is it possible?uni?
    It is almost impossible for relationship to last from poly-work
    Ha ha. Why impossible? I knew my wife ever since Poly 1st year, got together in the 2nd year. Now married with 2 kids And I knew a few poly mates with the same long lasting relationship as mine. Nothing is impossible. Just like my wife and I can enjoy shopping without doing any purchasing, just purely window shopping as a form of relaxation and entertainment
    Last edited by kelccm; 21st November 2007 at 05:04 PM.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  13. #33
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Ok, let me paint a more rosy picture to counter....
    For food, if you always eat at foodcourt, yes it is easy to spend more than $15 per day. But if you are more prudent, I say you only need $10 per day, but you must be willing to cook or eat at hawker center.

    For transport, $10 per day! Come on, unless you live so far away that you'll need to change bus/mrt a few times, I don't see how you can spend up to $10 a day. Or are you including taxis? For myself, I take bus everyday to work, and it only costs me about $10-15 per week, and that include taking mrt on weekends.
    Eat at food court, modest meal, one meat and two vegie dishes ~$3.00? one can of soda at foodcourt ~$1.00?

    Sometimes eat lavishly at "MacDonalds" Big Mac Meal ~$6.00?, so average it to $15, sometimes a little snacks and cakes here and there.

    If you rent a room, I don't think the tenant will allow cooking... that is the norm.

    How much is a train ride from say Eunos to City Hall? plus you would need to pay for feeder service right? just one return trip? no visit to Library/Park/Mall for window shopping?

    It is just too simplistic viewpoint, need to plan for unexpected, she will out here alone, who to turn to for help? if later she found out that she bearly makes it to the end of month with $1,400?

    ../azul123

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: Cost of life in Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by skywalker28 View Post
    Should be "cost of LIVING in Singapore" .... thought someone died when I read the thread
    This one really cracks me up.....

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqillies View Post
    Dating since school dates?
    How is it possible?uni?
    It is almost impossible for relationship to last from poly-work
    How abt my buddy from Sec 3 till now? That's 17yrs...and with one kid now.....

  16. #36
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng View Post
    How abt my buddy from Sec 3 till now? That's 17yrs...and with one kid now.....
    Beat you hands down, since Sec 3.. married with six kids and that's 30yrs and still counting.

    ../azul123

  17. #37

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    dam is that a joke?
    i hear stories of break ups.

    O well...maybe people from previous generation have a different mindset as oppose to youth nowadays.

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Beat you hands down, since Sec 3.. married with six kids and that's 30yrs and still counting.

    ../azul123
    Azul, you win liao.

    Must tell my buddy to make 5 more in the next 13 yrs....

    Back to topic proper, i think $1400 is enough, but will be abit tight. Not much spare cash left to enjoy the money spending activities this little island offers. Perhaps $1800 might be better, with some spare cash for enjoyment and emergencies.

  19. #39
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqillies View Post
    dam is that a joke?
    Seriously, not joking.

    ../azul123

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Cost of living in Singapore (title edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Eat at food court, modest meal, one meat and two vegie dishes ~$3.00? one can of soda at foodcourt ~$1.00?

    Sometimes eat lavishly at "MacDonalds" Big Mac Meal ~$6.00?, so average it to $15, sometimes a little snacks and cakes here and there.

    If you rent a room, I don't think the tenant will allow cooking... that is the norm.

    How much is a train ride from say Eunos to City Hall? plus you would need to pay for feeder service right? just one return trip? no visit to Library/Park/Mall for window shopping?

    It is just too simplistic viewpoint, need to plan for unexpected, she will out here alone, who to turn to for help? if later she found out that she bearly makes it to the end of month with $1,400?

    ../azul123
    Thats what I mean when it depends on your expectation of living. For your case you are using foodcourt food as the minimum, with some treats now and then. Yes, you will definitely spend at least $15 a day if that is your minimum.

    As for transportation, it would totally depend on where she lives and where she works. And I still don't get how you can spend $10 per day. For your info, a single trip from Eunos to City Hall is only $1.30 standard fare, and even if you take from Boon Lay to Pasir Ris, it is $1.90 standard fare. It will be cheaper if you use EZlink card. But I don't think she will be so stupid to live that far away from her work place. The maximum fare for bus is $1.80 if she pays cash, $1.58 if she use EZlink card. There is also a $0.25 rebate if you transfer using EZlink card. And also, would she go for window shopping everyday? Well I wouldn't know, but if I am on a budget, I wouldn't do that.

    Now whether the costs of living is high or low also largely depends on where she works and where she lives. If she works in the CBD, then it'll be difficult to find cheap food, and most likely it will be minimum at the foodcourt. But if you work in an industrial estate like me, then cheap food is plenty in all the various hawker centers and canteens. Still it all depends on your expectation of your own standard of living. If you must always eat in aircon envoirnment, then $10 will not be enough.

    BUT assuming that you worked in the CBD, then I guess $1400 would be tough, where meals would be more expensive and rental would be higher if you stay near the city center. $1400 a month is still possible, but discipline and prudence is required. But if you work in Tuas, and live in the west like me, then $1400 a month is more than enough for daily expenses, bills and rental.

    As I have said, if your living expectation is high, $1400 is not enough. But if you are willing to sacrifice some luxury, and learn how to live prudently, it should be more than enough. If our large army of FT, some of which earns less than $1400 a month, can survive and save some money, I don't see why she can't. It all depends on how she wants to live, and what is her expectation of this internship. The salary may be low now, but it could lead to a much brighter future prospect.

    Well, we can only argue so much, it still depend on the girl to decide whether is it worthwhile for her to come to Singapore. She just got to weigh all the factors.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •