Thread: Recommendations for a 9 Day Taiwan Trip?

Default Recommendations for a 9 Day Taiwan Trip?

Hey there!

Currently planning a 9-day trip to taiwan sometime in december, anyone who've been to taiwan with any recommendations? Things to do or see or eat etc.

We'll be going free & easy, our current itenary is to take the rail round taiwan, with stops at taipei, sun moon lake, taichung, chiayi (alishan), kaoshiung, hualien (tarako gorge) and lastly back to taipei again. Any idea if its too pack?

Thanks thanks for the inputs!

Default Re: Recommendations for a 9 Day Taiwan Trip?

Why not take a look on the itenary from Travel Agent? They are pretty much the same.

Example here http://www.dynastytravel.com/

There are also a lot of info here http://www.taiwan.net.tw/

For 9 days, I will recommend the whole island tour. I just completed mine in 9 days with 2 days extention in Taipei. Thought the journey was tiring with city hoping everyday, we find this is the best bang of our bucks (most Singaporean will agree on this ) we got to see everything, the diversity, the people, the food, the city, the country site, the landscapes etc, unlike what we normally see in their variety show

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Why not take a look on the itenary from Travel Agent? They are pretty much the same.

Example here http://www.dynastytravel.com/

There are also a lot of info here http://www.taiwan.net.tw/

For 9 days, I will recommend the whole island tour. I just completed mine in 9 days with 2 days extention in Taipei. Thought the journey was tiring with city hoping everyday, we find this is the best bang of our bucks (most Singaporean will agree on this ) we got to see everything, the diversity, the people, the food, the city, the country site, the landscapes etc, unlike what we normally see in their variety show
    Haha tat was what i had in mind as well...singaporean mentality...trying to cover everything in one trip. What was your main form of transportation between the cities? Is it by rail? I've read somewhere that we need to book the rail tickets in advance? Is it necessary? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by phantasia View Post
    Haha tat was what i had in mind as well...singaporean mentality...trying to cover everything in one trip. What was your main form of transportation between the cities? Is it by rail? I've read somewhere that we need to book the rail tickets in advance? Is it necessary? Thanks!
    Mini van...7 of us...a little uncomfortable for people seating at the 3rd row....but fast and mobile

9 days...

Depends on whay you wanna see.
    Taipei I will recommend Yang Ming Shan, Dan Shui, Wu Fen Pu, Shi Lin, Ruei Fang (Jiu Fen) Raohe. Taipei 101, XimenDing,

Hualien Taroko Park is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ZDragon View Post
    9 days...

Depends on whay you wanna see.
    Taipei I will recommend Yang Ming Shan, Dan Shui, Wu Fen Pu, Shi Lin, Ruei Fang (Jiu Fen) Raohe. Taipei 101, XimenDing, .
    I will throw in 故宫博物院, 深坑 & 猫空

I will throw in 故宫博物院, 深坑 & 猫空
    深坑 & 猫空 ? I have not been there before in Taipei. Where izzit? Fun?

I'm also looking for data to Nantou and Taichung.

some places i liked which i went to. as we drove, some places may not be accessible if u travel by train and buses.

Taipei
    "qi ku" hotspring 七窟溫泉 + 脆皮雞 at yang min shan. the hotspring is those individual rooms with man-made "bathtub" type, but our taiwanese friends told us the hotspring water is the "cleanliness" cos it is nearest the source. watched the sunset with taipei city in the background whilst enjoying the tasty the crispy chicken with "keropok".

Hualien
    if u stayed in this city overnight, u can visit the 七星潭 a park by the seaside in the morning before going to taroko gorge.

Taoroko gorge
    affordable accom - 天祥基督教會 03-83691203 邱先生. hostel like accom NT300 per bed. a bit of of the way though. if u are lucky like me, u get the entire hostel to urself if there is no other guest around.

the usual walking trails are 燕子口 and 九曲洞. if u like to hike, try 白楊瀑布/水蓮洞. u will need a torchlight as it can be dark when crossing the 4 or 5 short tunnels during the walk.

a cafe house at the 3200yrs old tree (碧綠神木) - somewhere after tianxiang in tarogo gorge towards hehuan mountains - like the coffee with honey to replace sugar and the fried mushrooms there.

at 大禹嶺 at 14甲33.5Km - 石門山 walking trail, it is about 20-30 minutes walk to a platform/plateau. 0n a clear day, can see view of the surrounding hehuan mountains. can be cold on a very strong windy day.

Alishan
    if driving, u will need to park at the big carpark at alishan entrance gate. there are buses that provide pickup to destinated hotels and places of interests within alishan.

sunrise at 祝山. advice will be to take the alishan train up to catch the sunrise, and take the trail and walk back to hotel/alishan.

food
    永和豆漿 / 油條, 曾計麻咭, 鹽酥雞 some local delights that i liked.

we rent from our vios (auto gear) from this rental car company introduced by our taiwanese friend. has a few pickup and dropped off points.
    https://www.easyrent.com.tw/fast/fast01-2.asp

GPS - we DL the trial version for use with our GPS garmin unit.
    http://www.papago.com.tw/

enjoy ur trip.

深坑 & 猫空 ? I have not been there before in Taipei. Where izzit? Fun?

I'm also looking for data to Nantou and Taichung.
    OK, for 深坑 if you take MRT, transfer to brown line, take it all the way to 木栅 station(2nd last stop), then transfer to bus 666 if I remember correctly, can always double confirm with station control, this place (entire street) is famous for 臭豆腐 etc.

a snapshot of street hawkers in 深坑

猫空 is a hill top(a bit of hybrid of our Mt Faber and Genting), famous for 铁观音chinese tea, take the same brown line to the last stop-Taipei Zoo station. Walk to the cable car and take a ride to the top. Cost 50yen(~$2.25) each way. Very scenic and cold. But expect long line because this is a new attraction in Taipei, we Q for more than 30minutes.

Since the sunset pretty soon in winter (5pm+), I suggest you go to the cable car first thing in the morning. Then go to the 深坑 in the afternoon, all the stalls will be fully operated liao, just nice. Kill two birds with one stone, after that go back to zhong xiao road for shopping with the stinky and sweaty shirt

For Nantou and Taichung, prepare to stay at least one day, the sunset at 日月潭 is really nice, you can visit the 关公庙 and also 阿里山....can consider take the antic train to ride up, looks interesting although I didn't have a chance to try
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 20th November 2007 at 09:31 PM.

Cool cool! Thanks alot for the very helpful recommendations!

I'm thinking of not going yang ming shan, cos already going tarako and alishan, so trying not to go too many mountains for one trip...am i missing alot there?

OK, for 深坑 if you take MRT, transfer to brown line, take it all the way to 木栅 station(2nd last stop), then transfer to bus 666 if I remember correctly, can always double confirm with station control, this place (entire street) is famous for 臭豆腐 etc.

猫空 is a hill top(a bit of hybrid of our Mt Faber and Genting), famous for 铁观音chinese tea, take the same brown line to the last stop-Taipei Zoo station. Walk to the cable car and take a ride to the top. Cost 50yen(~$2.25) each way. Very scenic and cold. But expect long line because this is a new attraction in Taipei, we Q for more than 30minutes.

Since the sunset pretty soon in winter (5pm+), I suggest you go to the cable car first thing in the morning. Then go to the 深坑 in the afternoon, all the stalls will be fully operated liao, just nice. Kill two birds with one stone, after that go back to zhong xiao road for shopping with the stinky and sweaty shirt

For Nantou and Taichung, prepare to stay at least one day, the sunset at 日月潭 is really nice, you can visit the 关公庙 and also 阿里山....can consider take the antic train to ride up, looks interesting although I didn't have a chance to try

Arh... Thanks! I am now really looking forward to my holiday now.

All in all, I have lived in Taiwan for 2 years during the construction of Taipei 101, holiday in 2005, 1 month working here last month and just reached again last nite but I only know places around Taipei. I would say I Lan and North East Coast are the places that are beautiful nearby Taipei.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtan12 View Post
    All in all, I have lived in Taiwan for 2 years during the construction of Taipei 101, holiday in 2005, 1 month working here last month and just reached again last nite but I only know places around Taipei. I would say I Lan and North East Coast are the places that are beautiful nearby Taipei.

I understand that they are going to have another MRT line along Xinyi road.

I understand that they are going to have another MRT line along Xinyi road.
    Guess so. I saw some mrt construction work along that road last month when I was here.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtan12 View Post
    Guess so. I saw some mrt construction work along that road last month when I was here.
    I thought it's suppose to be running by Oct? hmmm... Hope it starts running by Dec. hehe