Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Where do PhDs go?

Default Re: Where do PhDs go?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    do elaborate more. in what way does hiring a Ph.D holder "put their job and reputation on the line"? the impression part is critical though.
    well, I was a little extreme here with the that. my point is that there is no need for a hiring manager to take any additional risk considering that there are likely to be other more suitable candidates.

in most job areas, there are main 2 career paths. technical and management. the techical path would suit the PHDs a little more. however, the local perception of career growth is usually linked to the number of people you manager. hence the management path. as such, i would agree that the local environment is not really very condusive for PHDs compaired to many other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by sgkinkgong View Post
    well, I was a little extreme here with the that. my point is that there is no need for a hiring manager to take any additional risk considering that there are likely to be other more suitable candidates.

in most job areas, there are main 2 career paths. technical and management. the techical path would suit the PHDs a little more. however, the local perception of career growth is usually linked to the number of people you manager. hence the management path. as such, i would agree that the local environment is not really very condusive for PHDs compaired to many other countries.
    you have pointed out several key points

1) Pre-disposition: that the hirer is predisposed to a certain concept-related behaviors that can determine his/her future actions. In which case you have provided a classical example of insecurity of hiring one with higher (assumed) qualitfications.

2) Unwilling to take risks, conform to status quo: A manager can only manage but a leader provides a direction/vision and manages people at the same time.

I would think for the thread starter to be successful in his/her interview, he needs to find the right lego brick. Probably he/she haas already found it. Good luck

IMH? Permanent Head Damage mah

Mental hospital

rcourtney
    Guests

Just a quick update, found a job in a tech. MNC company (under KKR) and has been working for 2 weeks now. While the pay is not fantastic ($6k/month), the fringe benefits are good, like full-family health/dental, 5-day, technical trainings, insurance, etc.

The bottom line is, I am just glad that someone is willing to give me a break

Talk about "obscure and esoteric" fields... 9 out of 10 people that I meet in Singapore will go "Huh? Whats that?" when I tell them I'm taking Anthropology.

rcourtney: well congrats Once you've got a foot into the door... things will move easier from now on.

rcourtney
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Talk about "obscure and esoteric" fields... 9 out of 10 people that I meet in Singapore will go "Huh? Whats that?" when I tell them I'm taking Anthropology.

rcourtney: well congrats Once you've got a foot into the door... things will move easier from now on.
    ... and even when they know about anthrop, different people have different views on what's involved. I remember my interview with A*Star and the topic of doing a ethnographic study came up; they were actually taking about a study that may stretched two months or so. Personally, I think it is almost impossible to paint any kind of technological-frame within a broader social complex within 2 months... I had "years" in mind at that time

And thank you for the well wishes, and I sincerely hope that things would work-out for the better from now on. Spoke to the VP when I joined the company and it is good to know that he has a projection/path for me in the future rather than seeing me as a "hopper".

Deregistered

At least they go "huh what's that?" for your case. For mine when i tell S'poreans that i majored in political science and minored in business, 9 out of 10 will go "huh? you want to join the garmen ah? *** or opposition?"
    Last edited by bovine; 31st December 2007 at 11:19 AM.

I'm doing post-grad in Linguistics and people ask me how many languages I know... ... makes me wonder if I should continue with PhD...

With your credentials, experience in education and expertise, why not consider setting up your own school? Why work for someone else and make them rich?

Red face Re: Where do PhDs go?

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    I'm doing post-grad in Linguistics and people ask me how many languages I know... ... makes me wonder if I should continue with PhD...
    fighting for a PhD too. the only good news from seniors is at least once you get a position, they pay you more than a master holder and so on as to how to get the position, no idea yet.
    anyway, to spend 5-6 years on a biotech PhD is high risk here in Singapore.
    biotech is hot right? govt pay a lot more for oversea PhDs, no matter they are talented or not, also retired talented scientist, no matter how much more they can contribute at that age. sorry for the old, but true in science, rare people can make contribution after 60 la. they just enjoy the reputation they earned.

kind of curious is starting pay of $6k/month for a fresh phd grad considered low?

I not Phd but my wife is a local engin Phd grad and the starting pay for PHD grad in her company is I think $4k...... not a secret so can post on internet

rcourtney
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicboom View Post
    With your credentials, experience in education and expertise, why not consider setting up your own school? Why work for someone else and make them rich?
    2 reasons: 1) I wanted to work in the industry rather than with it (for the experience), and 2) I do not have the neccessary network nor outlay to embark onto such a venture.

rcourtney
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    kind of curious is starting pay of $6k/month for a fresh phd grad considered low?

I not Phd but my wife is a local engin Phd grad and the starting pay for PHD grad in her company is I think $4k...... not a secret so can post on internet
    I guess the pay will depend on the company, the position and the industry. For myself, I am just comparing to what I would get if I go into teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    norm. u want higher starting pay try TECH average 5k

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    norm. u want higher starting pay try TECH average 5k
    you can probably guess where my wife is working in

Seriously, I always thought 4k for a phd grad is ridiculously low... but my wife is bonded and she likes what she is doing so

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post

You should continue if your interest lies in it. At most people will assume that you have knowledge of xxxx number of languages after you obtain your Phd.

I found the Linguistics post grads in my former uni cool.
    Last edited by bovine; 2nd January 2008 at 11:13 AM.

Omg. linguistics

*thinks back on all those hours spent trying to understand all the stuff on phonetics, morphology, syntax, semantics, etc etc.

I admire you if you really like this stuff I like languages. But this stuff is too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    I found the Linguistics post grads in my former uni cool.

*thinks back on all those hours spent trying to understand all the stuff on phonetics, morphology, syntax, semantics, etc etc.
    I'm a phonetics and sociolinguistics man... unfortunately the former not very hot now in NUS... or I could go back to photography...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234