Thread: Lens help please!!

Default Lens help please!!

Hi folks. I am a newbie to this site and a newbie to camcorders and I need some help. I was in Singapore recently for a day as part of a Far East cruise,and I wandered in and out of the camera shops on Orchard Road (as you do) and as you might have guessed, everyone was trying to sell me a new camcorder. I have a Canon MV800 DV camcorder and to be fair, I had been experiencing trouble with it due the intense hunidity during the cruise. However it did right itself and whilst I did not actually buy a new camera, I let myself be persuaded to invest in a wide angle lens and UV lens for my camcorder. I really didn't know a lot about it or about the price, so I agreed to the sale which was in the region of 120 UK pounds. The salesman kept saying that it was much cheaper than in the UK. The lenses I bought were a Macro lens, a wide angle Grobartig Digital Wide x38 wide angle lens, and a 55mm polarizing lens. When I got back to the UK,I showed these items to my camera dealer, and he said that I'd been caught!. Now, I don't know who to believe and before I contact the shop in Singapore (no names given (yet), could anyone let me know whether these prices were more or less correct or not? Many thanks

Default Re: Lens help please!!

You probably should only have paid not more than 15 pounds.

NOBODY here shops for cameras on orchard road. We avoid it like the plague.
    Alpha

don't speak for everyone lar..

james at Lord's camera has been great for many years.

Thanks guys, that makes me feel whole lot better (not) Don't suppose I have any redress against the seller? I did pay by credit card. Maybe I should write to them together with a copy to the local Chamber of Trade or Commerce, and complain about overcharging.

Thanks guys, that makes me feel whole lot better (not) Don't suppose I have any redress against the seller? I did pay by credit card. Maybe I should write to them together with a copy to the local Chamber of Trade or Commerce, and complain about overcharging.

Quote Originally Posted by hansi View Post
    You have no recourse, really. These guys know how to cover their butts and work all the loopholes in the system.

The only thing you could have done is do research before buying. And, in all honesty... Used some common sense. Camera shop on the tourist belt...
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by hansi View Post
    You have no recourse, really. These guys know how to cover their butts and work all the loopholes in the system.

The only thing you could have done is do research before buying. And, in all honesty... Used some common sense. Camera shop on the tourist belt...
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    don't speak for everyone lar..

james at Lord's camera has been great for many years.
    True, that's the only rose amongst the thorns on Orchard...
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post

Sarcasm, I don't need. Just remember , we're not all experts,like you

Relax bro, take it up with the relevant authority. May be complaint to Singapore tourism board too. Yes we should all do our home work first before buying but overcharging at such a high price is not acceptable. I too learnt my lesson the hard way.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Thanks Airfins. Yes, I actually sent an e mail to the STB at the same time I posted n this board, and they have asked for details to take it up with the shop, so who knows! Is there any other authority I can contact about this please?

You can try the Small Claims Tribunals here in Singapore, below are the information and procedure in lodging your claim :

http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/index.aspx

As you are from another country it might not be easy to do it. You might need to appear in the Singapore Court to hear your case.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    You can try the Small Claims Tribunals here in Singapore, below are the information and procedure in lodging your claim :

http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/index.aspx

As you are from another country it might not be easy to do it. You might need to appear in the Singapore Court to hear your case.
    Dont frighten hansi....

Just apply to the tribunal... there is a mediator, though is a judge, to hear you out...but you need to do some ground work..

Get the prices of similar item sold in other shop.
    How you got MISLED into buying the item.
    What type of recourse actions are you expecting.

Alternatively, check with CASE for assistance.