Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PnS like SLR camera

Default Re: PnS like SLR camera

do you really need a wide zoom range?

panasonic lz7 (139.99) (6x optical zoom)
    REFURBISHED nikon 5700 (109.99) (8x optical zoom)
    fujifilm 5700 (129.99) (10x optical zoom)

note, first two are older models, i gave zoom range because all almost the same, start from about 35-40mm at the widest end lor.

more info on each -
    panny lz7 dprview STATS imaging resource stats
    nikon 5700 dpreview REVIEW imaging resource REVIEW
    fuji 5700 dpreview STATS imaging resource stats

if you do not need so much zoom, and want more compact model:

canon 570is
    fujifilm f45fd

are very able cameras too, especially the fujifilm f45fd.. very good image quality and good low light performance

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ah, i know, but i was talking about full manual control, i think someone told me before don't have that one.. meaning can vary av and tv simultaneously, thereby allowing maximum control.
    oic. thks for the info and clear my misconception.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Actually, The R1 is a PNS that's like a SLR.
    You can't change lens and there's no flip mirror so a PnS can never be like an SLR.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    You can't change lens and there's no flip mirror so a PnS can never be like an SLR.
    It uses an SLR-sized sensor, and a DSLR-quality lens. Changing lenses is not a requirement for being an SLR. Rather, the main differentiator is an automatic moving mirror system, hence the terms SLR since it uses a reflex-mirror system. The R1 doesn't have one of those, but in terms of lens and sensor it's SLR-class.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    It uses an SLR-sized sensor, and a DSLR-quality lens. Changing lenses is not a requirement for being an SLR. Rather, the main differentiator is an automatic moving mirror system, hence the terms SLR since it uses a reflex-mirror system. The R1 doesn't have one of those, but in terms of lens and sensor it's SLR-class.
    SLR=Single Lens Reflex. So like you mentioned, having a flip mirror is the essence of being a SLR, not the lens, not the sensor, not even the controls. Film PnS/rangefinders uses 35mm film also, can have good lenses, same size image as SLRs but they are still PnS/rangefinders. So even though the rest of the features available may be what you would more commonly find in an SLR, they are still not SLR beccause they lack this flip mirror. Leica M-series can even cost more than SLRs. So by right, there should not be any SLR like PnS unless it has a flip mirror.. Anyway, I was just trying to be naughty.

A couple of 'PnS' that comes close would be the Olympus E-10 and E-20. They both use a half mirror to split the light coming in from the lens to the optical viewfinder and the sensor very much like the Canon F1 high speed and Nikon F3 High Speed in the 80s.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 21st November 2007 at 12:29 PM.

Why not get a film SLR? For €150, I can get a body with two lenses shipped over to me and have money spare for film.

Samuel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12