Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's Microsoft Word, not Microsoft Words

Default Re: It's Microsoft Word, not Microsoft Words

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Hehehe, but some say that Internet Ranting requires a lower standard of English!

GAHMEN sounds a lot like "garment" though, ie a piece of clothing.
    Yes, actually now that you mention it, Internet Ranting requires a higher standard of English.

Therefore, please see my comments on your English in the above post:

1) Hehehe is not an English word.
    2) ie - no such thing. You need to use the dots. Look at your keyboard. See that key with the dot on it? That's called a full-stop. It should be "i.e.". I. Dot. E. Dot. Cheers!

LET'S ALL MOVE FORWARD TOWARDS A BETTER ENGLISH STANDARD IN CLUBSNAP. NO SMILEYS FROM TODAY ONWARDS, SMILEYS ARE NOT GOOD ENGLISH.

jeez, one bugger with a stick up his/her ass is not enough, we actually have a campaign going on here to be anal.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    jeez, one bugger with a stick up his/her ass is not enough, we actually have a campaign going on here to be anal.
    My dear TMC,

I fear that you are not entirely sure what you are talking about. This is for the greater good! If we campaign for better English, Clubsnap will be a brighter, beautiful place. People will all be speaking nicely, and more slowly. If buggers with sticks up their ass are to speak, they will have to sit down, and when they sit down, the stick will go up higher, and they will feel the pain.

Proper English is the way to go. I think you will see what I mean, eventually. I would really love to insert a few smileys here, but they are unfortunately, not proper English.

I always thought it was "Microsoft Office Word". hmmm...

vince123123
    Guests

Nope, Internet Ranting requires a lower standard of English, so all of your points are now invalid

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Yes, actually now that you mention it, Internet Ranting requires a higher standard of English.

Therefore, please see my comments on your English in the above post:

1) Hehehe is not an English word.
    2) ie - no such thing. You need to use the dots. Look at your keyboard. See that key with the dot on it? That's called a full-stop. It should be "i.e.". I. Dot. E. Dot. Cheers!

LET'S ALL MOVE FORWARD TOWARDS A BETTER ENGLISH STANDARD IN CLUBSNAP. NO SMILEYS FROM TODAY ONWARDS, SMILEYS ARE NOT GOOD ENGLISH.

vince123123
    Guests

Ah, hmm, yeap that would also work I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    I always thought it was "Microsoft Office Word". hmmm...

Nope, Internet Ranting requires a lower standard of English, so all of your points are now invalid
    NOPE is not a word in the dictionary. It is therefore rejected.

The correct version should be : "Internet Ranting requires a lower standard of English, so all of your points are now invalid."

It would be appreciated if you place a full-stop at the end of your sentences. This is the ultimate common English error on the Internet. And smileys are not allowed.

vince123123
    Guests

I only learn from the best.

The correct version should be : "Internet Ranting requires a lower standard of English, so all of your points are now invalid."

It would be appreciated if you place a full-stop at the end of your sentences. This is the ultimate common English error on the Internet. And smileys are not allowed.

I only learn from the best.
    Yes, that is correct. It is good to keep sentences simple. This will lessen your chances of making English mistakes.

Think a lot of people had it mixed up with the good old WORKS.

I don't know if I should laugh at night86mare's sarcasm, or not.

Though I have to say, the general public's nonchalance at proper English is really.... sad. At least start spelling words properly, if you don't want to get grammar correct.

"nope" is in the dictonary, both Oxford English Dictionary and American Heritage Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by quekky View Post
    "nope" is in the dictonary, both Oxford English Dictionary and American Heritage Dictionary
    nope

adverb,

interjection
    Definition:

no: indicates a negative response refusing, denying, or disagreeing with something ( slang )

If you wish to be an absolute purist, i.e. the sort that burns people at the stake for poor pronunciation and the like, then slang is not proper English.

Other than slang, another grey area would be the example where "it's" being used in official serious documents is frowned upon. You should use "it is".

Having spent almost three years dealing with the unofficial Singaporean English and Malaysian English variants, I find this thread to be quite humourous.

I've not heard anyone say MS Words but anything is possible, especially from Americans. Someone at a place where I was working was asking me about "Americans Online" and I looked puzzled for a moment and realised that she meant "America Online".

Other people have asked me if I have "Adobe", so I can read a document that they want me to see. "Sorry, I don't have the company." is what I'd like to say but I patiently ask "Do you mean Adobe Acrobat Reader?" and they reply "Yeah, Adobe."

So, even across the ocean, it's lidat lah.

Ah well, languages are always subject to (ab)use.

Why? Because they are dynamic, and because creative minds will always find innovative ways to rebel against the institution.

On the flip side, it could be just plain lack of proficiency... like my Chinese...

Wo Shi Hua Ren, but my Chinese plain sucks can???

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123