Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ND filter advise

Default Re: ND filter advise

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    all you need is slow shuttle speed, usually we don't shoot in bright day, best time is dusk, unless you are shooting in under shade.

so, 3 stops ND filter is good enough, and you cut down shutter speed between 1/8sec to 15 sec depends on on the speed of the flow of water.

hope this help.
    thks bro

Thats the lens I am aiming to buy when I have the budget loh...have you try mounting a threaded CPL on the lens before the Cokin filter holder? Does it have vignette?

Y I ask is I heard adding a Linear Polariser infront of a CPL will make the set up into an adjustable GND.....the trick is that when 2 Polariser is place at 90 deg (orthoganal), no light will pass thru (and its technically correct with ceramic science). So by adjusting the CPL's angle will give a different density of ND....but the CPL must be nearer to the cam then the Linear Polariser. The reason is even though the CPL will filter one direction of light oscillation will inherit a certain percentage back, while a linear Polariser will not have such prob.

Would you try? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    omg 77mm wa

YES CONFIRM WILL

i wish i could stack more filters for my sigma 10-20 leh, but sigh

Hi Kirika, as Scaglietti mentioned, the spectrum is totally different....thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Sayyyy...if you need such long shutter speeds, ever considered using one of the IR filters? I hear some of them admit quite some visible light and they're probably very dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Doesn't work like ND. ND is neutral. IR filter cuts most visible light but let through IR. The effect is totally different.

BC

Hi catchlight, thanks for the tips, looks like the Cokin ND100 (6-2/3 stops) is a better choice. As Cokin doesn't have ND400

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    if it is only a sunny day, you shoot at beach with ISO 200, you will get 1/200sec at f22, to stop down to 1 sec, you need only 8 stops.

the 13 stops ND filter is use for shooting the Sun, and sometime we use it for stop down the B&W Polaroid instant film to ISO 100. that was many many years back, the only B&W instant film available is ISO3000.

Have anyone sucessfully use the Cokin NDX filter for normal long shutter landscape photo? I read somewhere that for a 1/100s scene, it was suppose to be 100s exposure after using the NDX, but it was so dark that even after exposing for 5mins, he still cannot get a normal looking pic with the NDX....thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Have anyone sucessfully use the Cokin NDX filter for normal long shutter landscape photo? I read somewhere that for a 1/100s scene, it was suppose to be 100s exposure after using the NDX, but it was so dark that even after exposing for 5mins, he still cannot get a normal looking pic with the NDX....thanks!
    Since NDX is a ND10000. Just multiply the original shutter speed by 10000, you will get the resultant shutter speed. (e.g. 1/1000s will become 10s.)

So if your scene originally require 1/60s, be ready to extend the shutter speed to at least 160s.
    BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 20th November 2007 at 05:26 PM.

Hi Scaglietti, the theory is correct, but that person said he cannot get a decent pic since he bought this filter......u tried it before? Got sample pic? Thanks a lot.

Since NDX is a ND10000. Just multiply the original shutter speed by 10000, you will get the resultant shutter speed. (e.g. 1/1000s will become 10s.)

So if your scene originally require 1/60s, be ready to extend the shutter speed to at least 160s.
    BC

Hi Scaglietti, the theory is correct, but that person said he cannot get a decent pic since he bought this filter......u tried it before? Got sample pic? Thanks a lot.
    5 mins is quite a long time...

Never tried one. Need you to feedback after you've got yours.

BC

May not be getting it if no good feedback lah....

Do you know if Tianya has ND400? Thanks.

5 mins is quite a long time...

Never tried one. Need you to feedback after you've got yours.

BC

Thats the lens I am aiming to buy when I have the budget loh...have you try mounting a threaded CPL on the lens before the Cokin filter holder? Does it have vignette?

Y I ask is I heard adding a Linear Polariser infront of a CPL will make the set up into an adjustable GND.....the trick is that when 2 Polariser is place at 90 deg (orthoganal), no light will pass thru (and its technically correct with ceramic science). So by adjusting the CPL's angle will give a different density of ND....but the CPL must be nearer to the cam then the Linear Polariser. The reason is even though the CPL will filter one direction of light oscillation will inherit a certain percentage back, while a linear Polariser will not have such prob.

Would you try? Thanks!
    lastboltnut - for ndx i did a quick search on flickr and pbase for you, but does not seem like anyone has used it

yes, i have.. in any case, i got an ugly ring and got very unhappy with it

sounds interesting, for the polariser. unfortunately i didn't bring my cpl over, since i would have no use for it.. and i already have hdr/ir to bring out skies when i need to and all filters here cost a BOMB

Hi bro, thanks for all the info.....realised that Tokina is launching its new 11-16 f2.8 next month, hopefully it is ok with more filter infront....

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    lastboltnut - for ndx i did a quick search on flickr and pbase for you, but does not seem like anyone has used it

yes, i have.. in any case, i got an ugly ring and got very unhappy with it

sounds interesting, for the polariser. unfortunately i didn't bring my cpl over, since i would have no use for it.. and i already have hdr/ir to bring out skies when i need to and all filters here cost a BOMB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12